Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 08:23 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think providing more at a glance is less of a distraction.

Conversely, if you do want to see something else, you have to switch through modes and really stare at the screen in the Lexus, which is more of a distraction.

I find it very distracting having to stare at my screen while flipping through different modes to find the information I want. Having everything there or what might be important to you would be less distracting, at least for me.
Old 11-11-16, 09:38 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This fanboyism is so tiring. Come on.
I can say the same about you and a couple others in terms of bashing the brand. It's getting very tiring as well.
Old 11-11-16, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I can say the same about you and a couple others in terms of bashing the brand. It's getting very tiring as well.
Issue is you take any remotely critical comment to be "bashing the brand". I've been a Lexus owner and enthusiast for getting close to 20 years. I love Lexus products and Lexus as a brand, clearly...I've spent close to $300,000 on Lexus cars over that time. I think there are lots of members on CL that would laugh out loud at somebody saying I "go around and bash Lexus" lol

The fact of the matter is, no vehicle is perfect...there are always things that can be improved upon, cars that are better in certain segments or better at certain things. Just because we may not love absolutely everything about a Lexus vehicle doesn't mean we aren't Lexus enthusiasts. Good lord, somebody mentioned they wondered why the volume control was on a separate side of the steering wheel from the seek control...didn't even make a negative comment just wondered why that was and you jump all over them. Enough.

On top of that, this is the Car Chat forum where we discuss other vehicles that aren't necessarily Lexus vehicles. Many members here no longer have Lexus vehicles or have never had a Lexus vehicle.

Its just a car, its just a car company. If you can't handle differing viewpoints from yours you should refrain from posting.
Old 11-11-16, 07:13 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Issue is you take any remotely critical comment to be "bashing the brand". I've been a Lexus owner and enthusiast for getting close to 20 years. I love Lexus products and Lexus as a brand, clearly...I've spent close to $300,000 on Lexus cars over that time. I think there are lots of members on CL that would laugh out loud at somebody saying I "go around and bash Lexus" lol

The fact of the matter is, no vehicle is perfect...there are always things that can be improved upon, cars that are better in certain segments or better at certain things. Just because we may not love absolutely everything about a Lexus vehicle doesn't mean we aren't Lexus enthusiasts. Good lord, somebody mentioned they wondered why the volume control was on a separate side of the steering wheel from the seek control...didn't even make a negative comment just wondered why that was and you jump all over them. Enough.

On top of that, this is the Car Chat forum where we discuss other vehicles that aren't necessarily Lexus vehicles. Many members here no longer have Lexus vehicles or have never had a Lexus vehicle.

Its just a car, its just a car company. If you can't handle differing viewpoints from yours you should refrain from posting.
Ok you are no one to tell to not post. Like you said this is a public forum
Old 11-11-16, 08:23 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I personally think the Lexus instrument cluster looks dated and old and light on desirable features.
Yea sure..."dated"

Old 11-11-16, 08:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this thread is not about the price specifically. the comments were about the controls/ergonomics, and other poster is entitled to their opinion, just as you are yours. i don't think they were 'just nitpicking to make the car look purposely bad'. let's move on.
Ok you are no one to tell to not post. Like you said this is a public forum
imrankh24, the moderator gave you a warning which you ignored. Please exit this thread

SW15LS. knock off the personal comments - you know better.
Old 11-11-16, 11:29 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engine sounds good, anyone notice the steering wheel is same color as the interior, rather than black?

so if one orders red interior then gets a red steering wheel? If so then it's cool!
Old 11-12-16, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Yea sure..."dated"
I would say its "dated" in that they aren't moving where the rest of the industry is moving, which is to 100% virtual clusters that show a wide range of information on demand and at the same time. Some of these displays are better than others, some still have a lot of questionable limitations on what you can display and where. It doesn't look dated from a styling perspective, but IMHO the F Sport style moving cluster is style first, function second.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Engine sounds good, anyone notice the steering wheel is same color as the interior, rather than black?

so if one orders red interior then gets a red steering wheel? If so then it's cool!
Depends on the color choice for the interior. Some colors look to have a black or otherwise contrasting dash and some have the same color dash.

I like the matching dash and wheel on that flaxen type interior...
Old 11-13-16, 06:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I wouldn't use the word dated. But classy is a word I would not use either. I would be very surprised if Lexus does not have a more elegant option than this. Time will tell. The rest of the dash is pretty good, but the gauges are not very good IMO.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-13-16 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 07:09 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say its "dated" in that they aren't moving where the rest of the industry is moving, which is to 100% virtual clusters that show a wide range of information on demand and at the same time. Some of these displays are better than others, some still have a lot of questionable limitations on what you can display and where. It doesn't look dated from a styling perspective, but IMHO the F Sport style moving cluster is style first, function second.
I do agree with you that from usability perspective screen in front of the driver makes so much more sense than on the center stack. What I don't like is the current trend we have right now with giant freakin screens or dual screens that want you to do on them as much as you can. Tesla is being the worst offender with their table of a screen. True art would be to make screenless car that can do as much as you can with current cars but without populating the dashboard with ***** and buttons. All I will say it's doable and we will see it within two to three years.
Old 11-13-16, 07:37 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I for one prefer real gauges for anything considered performance oriented. And the more intricate the better. It's like analogue vs digital watches.

Last edited by LOWFAST; 11-13-16 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
I do agree with you that from usability perspective screen in front of the driver makes so much more sense than on the center stack. What I don't like is the current trend we have right now with giant freakin screens or dual screens that want you to do on them as much as you can. Tesla is being the worst offender with their table of a screen. True art would be to make screenless car that can do as much as you can with current cars but without populating the dashboard with ***** and buttons. All I will say it's doable and we will see it within two to three years.
I agree with the too big screen. But for instance if you look at Mercedes setup with the dual 12" screens, I don't think thats excessive.

Have you used Audi's visual cockpit? thats one reason why its so cool...it really does away with the need for the center stack screen altogether...
Old 11-13-16, 11:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
I for one prefer real gauges for Anthony considered performance oriented. And the more intricate the better. It's live analogue vs digital watches.
I like real gauges too, especially detailed intricate ones. Can't stand these digital screens now for speedo/rpm. Problem is for a car with collectibility potential what happens in 20, 30, 40, 50 or more years when these gauges fail and are impossible to fix or their graphics look extremely dated compared to what is out in the future. It is going to be a eyesore if the graphics are so dated or they have a issue that can't be fixed and you have a dead or malfunctioning speedometer/RPM screen. Replacing the screens will likely be extremely expensive and may even be impossible if the cars/screens were made in low numbers. Analog speedometers and RPM never go out of style and look classy and good, they pretty much never fail, and are easily fixed or replaced. If they want to put a larger screen/nav in front of the driver how about just splitting the analog speedometer and RPM apart more so they can fit a screen in between or do something like the Ford GT40 locating them in a different section.
Old 11-13-16, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The physical gauges are 100% electronic and also prone to failure when old. Modern LCD screens are very reliable.
Old 11-13-16, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I like real gauges too, especially detailed intricate ones. Can't stand these digital screens now for speedo/rpm. Problem is for a car with collectibility potential what happens in 20, 30, 40, 50 or more years when these gauges fail and are impossible to fix or their graphics look extremely dated compared to what is out in the future. It is going to be a eyesore if the graphics are so dated or they have a issue that can't be fixed and you have a dead or malfunctioning speedometer/RPM screen. Replacing the screens will likely be extremely expensive and may even be impossible if the cars/screens were made in low numbers. Analog speedometers and RPM never go out of style and look classy and good, they pretty much never fail, and are easily fixed or replaced. If they want to put a larger screen/nav in front of the driver how about just splitting the analog speedometer and RPM apart more so they can fit a screen in between or do something like the Ford GT40 locating them in a different section.
Really? 50 years from now is why you don't like digital gauges? And FYI, a car can still drive and work if your Speedo is not working. In 50 years the classic optitron Toyota gauge they use in Lexus could fail just as much.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News