Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 10:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the hybrid is marginally slower than the gas version? what makes you think so?
Take a look at the official Lexus press release. Lexus claims LC500 is sub 4.5 seconds to 60 while the LCh is sub 5.0 seconds.
Old 11-23-16, 10:28 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
You really expect Lexus to give you the parallel -- second -- powertrain, the one-of-a-kind 10-speed hybrid transmission with 2 electric motors, and a hybrid battery, for free? Are you the new VP of marketing for Lexus?
Nobody said they are expecting it to be free, just that a V6 hybrid carrying a premium over a V8 that if it costs 100K is already likely overpriced for a Lexus coupe/what you are getting, does not make much sense. The V6 hybrid will be much heavier, not handle as well, will likely be slower in most situations, and have some other drawbacks mainly for a relatively insignificant bump in fuel economy which buyers of these types of cars likely won't care much about. Why would owners pay extra for that especially when they are getting a smaller engine making less power?

Look at how well the LS hybrid and current GS hybrid sell. They are/were both failures in the market place and it shows how much the luxury market values hybrid luxury cars. There is no market for them.
Old 11-23-16, 10:45 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The LS hybrid was a showcase in its day

The GS hybrid was a whiff, we all know that

The LC hybrid will sell less that the ice only model 4:1 or 5:1 ratio

If you are fixated on hp, it will not be the car for you.

​​​​​​​My wife likes the quiet aspect of the hybrid and price is of no concern, no consideration
Old 11-23-16, 10:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Nobody said they are expecting it to be free, just that a V6 hybrid carrying a premium over a V8 that if it costs 100K is already likely overpriced for a Lexus coupe/what you are getting, does not make much sense. The V6 hybrid will be much heavier, not handle as well, will likely be slower in most situations, and have some other drawbacks mainly for a relatively insignificant bump in fuel economy which buyers of these types of cars likely won't care much about. Why would owners pay extra for that especially when they are getting a smaller engine making less power?

Look at how well the LS hybrid and current GS hybrid sell. They are/were both failures in the market place and it shows how much the luxury market values hybrid luxury cars. There is no market for them.
We don't know how the LCh is going to do. Lexus will likely price it in a way that you can get either the gas or the hybrid for close to the same price. The hybrid will not have a massive premium. Past GS and LS hybrids were an alternative to a V8 (GS) or a V12 (LS). Both have flopped yes, so has the RXh.. But the new model LC will do well, it will be popular in markets such as the UK where the gas version is not available.
Old 11-23-16, 10:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The LS hybrid was a showcase in its day
n
Lexus should of made a V12 instead.
Old 11-23-16, 10:58 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

V12 is not in their game plan unless you want a Toyota Century

at work we have the red face test and I am sure the V12 idea does not pass the red face test for Lexus

you can get those at your nearest MB or BMW stores and enjoy the gas guzzling and depreciation to your heart's content

inam just happy they are doing the LC

​​​​​​​to me the misses are no AWD and no vert
Old 11-23-16, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
V12 is not in their game plan unless you want a Toyota Century

at work we have the red face test and I am sure the V12 idea does not pass the red face test for Lexus

you can get those at your nearest MB or BMW stores and enjoy the gas guzzling and depreciation to your heart's content

inam just happy they are doing the LC

​​​​​​​to me the misses are no AWD and no vert
Ok. Right!
Old 11-23-16, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Take a look at the official Lexus press release. Lexus claims LC500 is sub 4.5 seconds to 60 while the LCh is sub 5.0 seconds.
0.5 in 0-60 is marginal?! that's multiple car lengths. and let's not get too hung on up on just 0-60 for speed, there are so many factors to how fast a car is.
Old 11-23-16, 04:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

0.5 in 0-60 is marginal?! that's multiple car lengths. and let's not get too hung on up on just 0-60 for speed, there are so many factors to how fast a car is.
.5 as seconds 0-60 is "Less" than marginal for the average driver in day to day driving. And where did you come up with .5 second difference? One is sub 5 second and one is sub 4.5. for all you know, the gas could be 4.4 seconds and the hybrid could be 4.6 seconds so it would be .2 seconds difference. Or it could be 4.1 seconds for the gas and 4.9 for the hybrid.
Old 11-23-16, 04:08 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel

Lexus has been premium pricing their hybrids which like you've said are not doing well in sales , will they learn and price it better to gain small growth in sales of an already small volume car? I doubt it, I suppose it will be more expensive even though I personally would like it to be the more affordable option.
Old 11-23-16, 05:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
.5 as seconds 0-60 is "Less" than marginal for the average driver in day to day driving. And where did you come up with .5 second difference? One is sub 5 second and one is sub 4.5. for all you know, the gas could be 4.4 seconds and the hybrid could be 4.6 seconds so it would be .2 seconds difference. Or it could be 4.1 seconds for the gas and 4.9 for the hybrid.
so for all you know, when the difference can range from 0.2s to 0.8s difference you still call that marginal? 0.8s difference is marginal? that doesn't look good on you either. i am just going with law of average which is pretty common in engineering when there are certain level of uncertainty.

so now you are saying 0.5s is less than marginal for average driver in daily driving. sounds like you just made all M and AMG cars marginally faster than some of their regular models. that sounds pretty silly.

it's ok that we agree to disagree. if you talk about average driver, performance is very secondary then it sounds like lc500h suddenly makes a lot more sense than what you have claimed. if performance is priority then 0.5s is a big margin for anyone with a sane mind. you can pick either one.

but in the end, nothing beats having true seat time in both cars on the same track setup right?
Old 11-23-16, 07:24 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

I look forward to the LC500..... I am a 1stGen SC original owner and it took way too long for Lexus to come out with a decent coupe (MKIV excluded; sorry SC430 - never liked that car at all.) The new "Supra" will be a total speed freak car with little to no luxury and in a different class appealing to a narrow audience.

Never understood why Lexus bothered with hybrids at all. The Toyota Prius is their bread and butter and provides what those buyers are looking for ("green" feelings and outstanding "mileage"). Tesla is a whole different vehicle being all electric.

It will be very disappointing and limiting the access to this car (the LC500) if it does debut at the $100K level. The debate about whether Lexus "deserves" to have six figure cars misses the point of market acceptance in my view - it's whether or not the value is there. Not sure how MB gets away with the S Class pricing other than lease write offs since 2-3 year old 550s sell well below original price.

The RC is hard to understand; I think Lexus wanted a coupe and upgrade path for their legions of IS owners (a very dedicated and loyal group) but the IS F was their goal so an RC F over the RC350 is easy to see. Not sure who is buying the RC 200t platforms.....(have yet to see an RC 200t on the road..).

I will likely acquire an LC500 at some point but not order one new.... I can wait to see how they fare in the 2-3 year out timeframe as to resale or if they tank on the lots due to the price/value lowering demands and discounts appear (I doubt that will be the case, however).

In the meantime, I will "suffer" with my SC and daily LS430.... (old and "outdated" as they are...)

Last edited by Duck05; 11-23-16 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 08:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

so for all you know, when the difference can range from 0.2s to 0.8s difference you still call that marginal? 0.8s difference is marginal? that doesn't look good on you either. i am just going with law of average which is pretty common in engineering when there are certain level of uncertainty.

so now you are saying 0.5s is less than marginal for average driver in daily driving. sounds like you just made all M and AMG cars marginally faster than some of their regular models. that sounds pretty silly.

it's ok that we agree to disagree. if you talk about average driver, performance is very secondary then it sounds like lc500h suddenly makes a lot more sense than what you have claimed. if performance is priority then 0.5s is a big margin for anyone with a sane mind. you can pick either one.

but in the end, nothing beats having true seat time in both cars on the same track setup right?
Perhaps you are the one getting hung up on 0-60 times? To me, .5 second in real world driving is not much. Very few people are going to take either of these on a track. Sure we can agree to disagree if you want, but I don't even know what point you are actually trying to make.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-23-16 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duck05

Never understood why Lexus bothered with hybrids at all.
The whole idea at first was supposed to be performance. I remember Lexus touting the idea that you could have your "power" and your "MPG" at the same time.
Old 11-23-16, 09:15 PM
Tilps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 Super GT 500 Lexus LC

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News