Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 10:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

For all you guys debating the potential customer base / demographics for LC hybrid - imo they dont exist.

The car will be special order only after 1-2yrs, just like LS600h and GS450h.
Lexus has failed to create any market or generate any demand for high end expensive hybrids.

At the end of the day - their marketing had been abysmal to this group of clients.
Old 12-18-16, 11:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
30 city and 38 hwy as predicted/est by Car & Driver.
Even better
Old 12-18-16, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
F

The car will be special order only after 1-2yrs, just like LS600h and GS450h.
Lexus has failed to create any market or generate any demand for high end expensive hybrids.
Curious to know, how many units of the LS600 would expect Toyota to move in a calendar year?
Old 12-18-16, 01:06 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 2nd generation (GWL10) powertrain added an Atkinson cycle design to the powertrain which gave it a 35% improvement in fuel economy. That's pretty significant vs the first gen which only had Otto cycle. If the LCh can manage mid to high 30mpg's, as well as an increased EV range and EV mode operation at high speeds of up to 87mpg now verses the current GSh and LSh's 62mph full EV, I'd say Lexus will have succeeded. Would be nice to see the next GS hybrid get this multi-stage transmission.

2011 GS450h 22/25/23 mpg
2013 GS450h 29/34/31 mpg
2018 LC500h 31/37/XX mpg estimated*
Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I was trying to get at the mind set of the LC hybrid buyer

If you can't pay for it, you are out to start

I am saying the the LC hybrid buyer does not look for the HP spec first when considering the car, whereas the fill in the blank 65 AMG customer is more likely to be
Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Is higher gas mileage less performance?

Some would say it is higher performance?

My NSX hybrid has about the same horsepower as a 570S and gets better gas mileage, so to me, that is an element of better performance.

I was recently having a chat with some folks who could not understand why some one would pay over $1000 per square foot for a new condo down town.

For most folks, they will be looking for a lot of square feet (akin to your horsepower point) for their dollars, and a smaller set of folks want certain aesthetics and price is not the relevant factor.

I see the LC hybrid as a car that will be selected by the latter group.
If I was shopping for a Grand Touring Coupe, the LC 500h would be it. I don't care about stratospheric horsepower numbers; I can never drive at those autobahn-high speeds anyways. The acceleration 0-to-60 is said to be close to that of the LC 500; that is plenty quick enough for me.

To me, such a quick and fast car at 37 mpg (6.4L/100km, which is compact car territory) is great performance for me. And knowing that I don't have to idle in stop-and-go traffic because the engine will switch off, thus greatly reducing harmful emissions, is icing on the cake.

And as an engineer, I appreciate the engineering that has gone into the hybrid drivetrain. Flashy, gimmicky technology, like unintuitive push-button or rocker-switch gear selectors, or text-to-speech reading me my emails or finicky speech-recognition systems do not impress me; truly innovative engine and transmission technology does.

Finally, there is the exclusiveness. With so few hybrid GT coupes, mine would truly be a 1-in-a-million car out on the roads.

To me, the hybrid drivetrain is another drivetrain option that I would be willing to pay for, just as some are willing to pay for a larger engine.

And yes, I would consider that more-expensive-per-square-foot downtown condo if I was in that market. The condo may not give me thousands of square feet of living space or a large lot of grass, but it would give me a nice home without grass to mow in the summer; it would allow me not to have to dodge other people's dog and cat droppings on my lawn; and it would free me from having to shovel the snow in the winter.
Old 12-18-16, 01:24 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 245 Posts

How a new car release is judged to be a "success" has to align with supply and demand. If Lexus is targeting to build 500 a month then a demand for more will drive up the prices (dealers will add markups) and if no one runs to the dealerships to place custom orders the ones coming off the line go to inventory and dealers will stock very few and play the car swap game between lots to match car color/feature combos with the limited buyers.

It still all boils down to will there be demand for this vehicle? The price will have a lot to do with that even for those with the means to acquire this or other choices in these ranges. Even for those with means, not sure there are garage spaces opening up to put one of these into them. Maybe it is too early since the prices/features/colors are not public and orders are not being solicited (like the RCs where the first 4-6 weeks of delivered cars were all committed - if not sold - to waiting buyers).

If the prices land where rumored I do not see this going well.
Old 12-18-16, 01:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
If I was shopping for a Grand Touring Coupe, the LC 500h would be it. I don't care about stratospheric horsepower numbers; I can never drive at those autobahn-high speeds anyways. The acceleration 0-to-60 is said to be close to that of the LC 500; that is plenty quick enough for me.
Would you pay more or the same for the LC500h if all options were the same compared to the 500?

but it would give me a nice home without grass to mow in the summer; it would allow me not to have to dodge other people's dog and cat droppings on my lawn; and it would free me from having to shovel the snow in the winter.
You could simply pay for grass cutting and snow removal service for a home.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-18-16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-18-16, 06:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Would you pay more or the same for the LC500h if all options were the same compared to the 500?
I've made it known before (many times, in fact) that I am willing to pay a premium for this optional drivetrain. As an engineer, I appreciate that the complicated technology in a hybrid drivetrain costs money and I cannot expect a business to give that technology away for free. There are people who are willing to pay a premium for the more powerful engine; I am one who is willing to pay for the high technology that will give me a much more efficient engine.

You could simply pay for grass cutting and snow removal service for a home.
Yes, I could, but I am still responsible for maintaining my lawn and my driveway, and if the service providers do not show up, I still have to do it. That has happened to me before. I paid for snow removal but still found that I had to dig myself out following an overnight snowstorm or be late for work. Many years ago, I did live in high-rise condo, and I did not have to worry about the lawn nor shovelling winter snow; neither was I ever late for work because I had to shovel my car out of the driveway.
Old 12-18-16, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I've made it known before (many times, in fact) that I am willing to pay a premium for this optional drivetrain. As an engineer, I appreciate that the complicated technology in a hybrid drivetrain costs money and I cannot expect a business to give that technology away for free. There are people who are willing to pay a premium for the more powerful engine; I am one who is willing to pay for the high technology that will give me a much more efficient engine.

Yes, I could, but I am still responsible for maintaining my lawn and my driveway, and if the service providers do not show up, I still have to do it. That has happened to me before. I paid for snow removal but still found that I had to dig myself out following an overnight snowstorm or be late for work. Many years ago, I did live in high-rise condo, and I did not have to worry about the lawn nor shovelling winter snow; neither was I ever late for work because I had to shovel my car out of the driveway.
Cool. Interesting point of view.
Old 12-18-16, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As an engineer, I appreciate that the complicated technology in a hybrid drivetrain costs money and I cannot expect a business to give that technology away for free.
That's generally true, but there seems to be at least one orange mixed in there with the apples. For some reason, that's exactly what Lincoln does with the MKZ. The MKZ comes in four different trim-lines (Premier, Select, Reserve, and Black Label), and all four trim levels offer both gas and hybrid versions at exactly the same starting base-price. So, that tells us one of two things. Either they are losing money on the hybrid versions, or they have the gas versions overpriced to compensate.....probably some of both.

http://shop.lincoln.com/build/mkz/#/select/

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-18-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-18-16, 11:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

One figure that I've heard is that the hybrid will only be $2k more than the V8. I don't know how realistic that is (my guess is at least $5k premium) but I'd pay $2-5k maybe up to $8k for the hybrid technology. I'm one of those that understands that I won't need the extra power that the hybrid is incapable of but the v8 is (since 0-80ish the hybrid is just as quick, thats pretty much the entire legal speed realm). I would love to drive a beautiful luxury coupe that is also a decently efficient hybrid that gets est. avg. 36mpg, man that is quite nice for someone like me.
Old 12-19-16, 04:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 2nd generation (GWL10) powertrain added an Atkinson cycle design to the powertrain which gave it a 35% improvement in fuel economy. That's pretty significant vs the first gen which only had Otto cycle. If the LCh can manage mid to high 30mpg's, as well as an increased EV range and EV mode operation at high speeds of up to 87mpg now verses the current GSh and LSh's 62mph full EV, I'd say Lexus will have succeeded. Would be nice to see the next GS hybrid get this multi-stage transmission.

2011 GS450h 22/25/23 mpg
2013 GS450h 29/34/31 mpg
2018 LC500h 31/37/XX mpg estimated*
Yeah but the major change for hybrid setup came form the tweaks to ICE not to electrical components. I'm sure they adjusted the software and little stuff in electrical flow and wiring here and there but all other big parts besides ICE are repacked carryover technology from previous 450h. I don't know, I could be wrong.

RLX Sport Hybrid packages 377hp, 29 MPG combined, sub 5 seconds 0-60, 7 speed DCT and more importantly individual motors per rear wheel thus no need for a mechanical differential at the back in 4WD setup. It's bigger car than GS and still lighter by almost 200 lbs. than LC500h. In my mind multiple smaller electric motors driving each wheel is the future we are heading to.

Well I guess we will have to wait for new GS vs new Honda sport hybrid sedan to see who got it right.
Old 12-19-16, 06:31 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The LC hybrid system is what it is (no AWD)

yes, I really like the 2 electric motors independently driving the front wheels in my NSX but I still say the LC hybrid is cool and hope some test drives are possible sometime in 2017

​​​​​​​i also believe when electric cars are ruling the world, they will have a separate motor for each wheel
Old 12-19-16, 07:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

To me, such a quick and fast car at 37 mpg (6.4L/100km, which is compact car territory) is great performance for me. And knowing that I don't have to idle in stop-and-go traffic because the engine will switch off, thus greatly reducing harmful emissions, is icing on the cake.

And as an engineer, I appreciate the engineering that has gone into the hybrid drivetrain. Flashy, gimmicky technology, like unintuitive push-button or rocker-switch gear selectors, or text-to-speech reading me my emails or finicky speech-recognition systems do not impress me; truly innovative engine and transmission technology does.

Finally, there is the exclusiveness. With so few hybrid GT coupes, mine would truly be a 1-in-a-million car out on the roads.

To me, the hybrid drivetrain is another drivetrain option that I would be willing to pay for, just as some are willing to pay for a larger engine.
sounds like you're a very good prospect for lexus. question is, how many like you will there be. i'm not sure you really want to be 1 in a million on the roads?
Old 12-19-16, 08:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

And 80k Isn't the new 50k, its the new $60k
Only if you lease
Old 12-19-16, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Only if you lease
How so?

Its a measure of inflation. Take the LS for instance, when we bought our first one in 1998 it was $60k. My 2015 LS was $80k. If you use an online inflation calculator that $60,000 in 2015 is $87,000...makes sense seeing that 98 LS was basically loaded and my LS isn't. Look at say a Tahoe, a fully loaded every option Tahoe used to be about $50k, now its like $75k. Look at the GS, my GS was right under $60k in 2012, a loaded GS in 2002 was probably $50k.

The point is that $80k is not as expensive for a car as it used to be. in 2000 for instance $80k was a well loaded S500. Today a well loaded S550 is $120k

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News