Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 05:39 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Would you look at this! (Spoiler: It's not a Hyundai)

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...potted-detroit
Old 12-20-16, 05:42 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good in white on black. Definitely better to me than the previous spotted shots I've seen
Old 12-20-16, 11:16 AM
jvit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down LC 500 Specs

4,280lbs!?
You've got to be kidding. This porker needs to go on a diet.
Old 12-20-16, 11:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jvit
4,280lbs!?
BMW 650i weighs 4,260 lbs, similar size and target
Jag F-Pace R (although with AWD) weighs 3,814 (this is a fairly smaller car, no "rear seat", etc).
S550 Coupe 4Matic (again saddled with AWD) weighs 4,707 pounds

It's not intended to be some sort of track-attack scalpel.

Rolls-Royce Wraith weighs over 5,300 pounds.

So I'd say the LC's weight is right in the wheelhouse of its intended function.

Last edited by pbm317; 12-20-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 11:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dan Neil, Wall Street Journal, posted his review: http://www.wsj.com/articles/2018-lex...ing-1481840048

Before departing for Seville, Spain, to drive Lexus’s new voluptuary coupe, the LC 500, I was obliged by the event staff to acquire an International Driving Permit from an office of the American Automobile Association. This ridiculous bit of cardboard, with artwork from the age of mimeograph forgeries, certifies that the bearer possesses a valid U.S. driver’s license…which, sigh, I have right here in my wallet.

After passing the AAA’s fog-a-mirror test and handing over $20, I was issued these grave bona fides.

What’s with the IDPs? They were required because the cars that Lexus brought to Seville were late prototypes. The LC 500 (and LC 500h, the significantly ballsy hybrid version) won’t hit U.S. stores for months. The Spanish DMV was being implacably uptight about it, for no obvious reason. And just like in Italy with Ferrari’s “prova” cars, the test cars were obliged to wear wide red plates on their front grilles.

That was a loss, since the car’s daring frontal composition—its grille a fishnet hourglass, or the warp and weave of existence—is kind of the point. There’s so much drama I’m surprised they didn’t make me get an Equity card.

This car is about building the Lexus brand, plain and simple. Indeed, this is the way auto makers used to do halo cars, with one wistful look at the project budget and a shrug. The LC is in every way estate grown, designed in-house and built in the clean rooms of Motomachi assembly plant by master craftsmen called Takumi. With production aimed at 4,500 units a year globally, the car won’t generate much in the way of profits. Indeed, the accountants probably see the LC as a vast, Ultrasuede hole into which to throw money.

But it will generate heat. By God, you will say the company name when you see this car, and you will look twice. Management has made certain of it. It’s nice that we’re in Spain, since the LC’s melting-with-the-heat detailing recalls the bendy clocks of Salvador Dalí.

Another nuance is the brand’s sudden patrilineage and elder worship. As part of Lexus’s reimagining, the company president and CEO, family scion Akio Toyoda, has been fitted with Enzo Ferrari’s loafers. Toyoda-San is now Chief Brand Officer and also Takumi master driver.

As the company tells it, the LC program was born shortly after the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in August 2011. In confidential interviews at Pebble Beach, Toyoda-San learned that Americans thought the Lexus brand was boring. What?! said no one in attendance.

He vowed no one would say their cars were boring again.

Five months later, at the 2012 Detroit auto show, Lexus unveiled its beguiling, bedeviling LF-LC concept coupe.

It’s taken five years to fulfill that promise, which I imagine Toyoda-San making while standing on a putting green, a fist raised to the sky like Scarlett O’Hara. But here we are. Next month, at Detroit, the LC coupe will stomp down the runway ahead of the first reveal of the fifth-generation LS sedan, a four-door enveloped in the same stylistic silk as the LC and built on the same majority-steel architecture, which they call the new Global Architecture-Luxury (GA-L).

Here’s a bit of download: The LC is a front-engine, rear-drive 2+2 luxury coupe, with a majority-steel unibody that looks to me, at least, future-proofed for a convertible variant. The LC is 10 inches longer than a Porsche 911, thereabouts, and roughly the same shorter than a Mercedes-Benz S Coupe. The LC is
surprisingly easy to get in and out of.

The six-figure GT coupe market isn’t hotly contested these days, and if you read no further, please know I think the LC 500 takes the stuffings out of anything in this category. The interior is gorgeous—nobly appointed, serene in space and design, with smart tech deposed in a stitched-leather landscape with dull-silver streams and suede door gussets shaped like dune ridges. In these troubled times, are you looking for one thing we can all agree on? Light your keister in this driver’s seat, my reigning favorite. I even had chief engineer Koji Sato draw a human butt for me to explain the seat foam’s damping gradients. We talked into the night.

Buyers have a choice from two powertrains, but I’m setting aside the 500h for another review. The LC 500 brings a creamier-than-usual execution of the corporate 5.0-liter V8—naturally aspirated, always on the cam, its resonant voice like Morgan Freeman pumped into the cabin by special acoustic tunnels. The engine software holds this butter churn to 471 hp at 7,100 rpm, but there’s plenty of tuning room for future F Sport and F performance variants.

The V-8 is hooked to a new 10-speed automatic transmission of Toyota’s own design, an electromechanical device of horological complexity and celestial serenity that I can’t do justice to here (four planetary gear sets). But with its evenly spaced ratios from 2nd to 9th gear, the transmission delivers one of the car’s signature moves. The engineers call it “rhythmic shifting,” which we experienced on the main straight of Circuito Monteblanco, near Seville:

Beyond a left-hander in 3rd gear, slightly uphill, the main straight opens up. The LC 500, in Sport S+ mode with the optional rear-wheel steering system engaged, drifts through fully composed, on throttle, tires chirping, but feeling wide as a barn, I must say.

Back to 100% throttle and...Whaa-thum! Whaa-thum! Whaa-thum! Whaa-thum! down the straight, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 200-millisecond gearshifts coming in march cadence. That’s a new one on me.

The LC 500 courses through mid-speed corners like a boss, granite solid, thoroughly planted, with plenty of rubber and a super-profundity of stance. The e-assist steering feel is hefty and connected. When the six-pot calipers sweetly bite those big front rotors, LC has no trouble dancing into a corner on its anti-lock toes.

Near the limit, yes, the big coupe does handle a bit nose heavy. That’s the V8 talking. And with a curb weight of 4,280 pounds, the LC 500’s power-to-weight (9.1 lb/hp) is firmly in grand-touring category. And yet it still manages to bolt from 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds and hit a top speed at 168 mph. I guess that’s the 10-speed talking.

In any event, I’m not bored.
Old 12-20-16, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jvit
4,280lbs!?
It's hard to keep curb weight down on many of today's vehicles, even with lightweight materials, simply because of the amount of equipment and hardware that has to go into them, either by government regulations or simple customer demand.
Old 12-20-16, 12:38 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Overstyled origami car like all the other Oriental cars.
Old 12-20-16, 03:45 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I need to find a way to get an LC500. I watched a walk through video and was impressed with everything about the car. It seems a little heavy but I expect that in a big body coupe. I would love to have it parked next to my SC300.
Old 12-20-16, 04:36 PM
jvit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down LC 500 Curb Weight

The 4280lb curb weight quoted in the article on the LC500 is exactly 500lbs heavier than the 3780 curb weight specified for the 2014 IS-F which has the same V8 motor and another 2 doors. Like I said, the LC500 is overweight.....by about 500lbs.
Old 12-20-16, 08:06 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

does that mean its competitors are overweight then? They weigh similar if not more. Find a LC competitor that weighs 3700#
Old 12-20-16, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The LC is a perfectly reasonable weight for a big grand touring coupe lol.

Its not meant to be like an ISF. Anyways there's no such thing as a 2014 ISF LOL
Old 12-20-16, 08:52 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Very insightful and well balanced analysis :

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...tml/?a=viewall
Old 12-20-16, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

what's the point of comparing it to the ISF again?

for some while the E63 and C63 had basically the same engine. actually the S63 is also on the same engine, or i should say almost the whole AMG line. but i don't think that equates S63 was stupidly overweight.

plus last i checked the LC500 has more hp than the ISF
Old 12-21-16, 03:45 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The LC is a perfectly reasonable weight for a big grand touring coupe lol.<br /><br />Its not meant to be like an ISF. Anyways there's no such thing as a 2014 ISF LOL
<br /><br />

Um, there most definitely IS a 2014 IS-F lol. It's the rarest of them all.

and yes, the LC500 has more HP than the ISF, but the ISF has a faster 0-60 time and faster 1/4 mile time as well.😉
Besides the motor being the same, I don't think the ISF and LC500 are comparable cars. Having a '12 ISF, nothing about the LC500 interest me enough to drop anywhere near 6 figures on it. Now in a few years when the LC-F comes along, I'm quite sure that'll be a whole nother ball game! Patiently waiting!

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 12-21-16 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-21-16, 04:40 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by XpediencY
Any ideas on heated/ventilated seats? They don't see to be in the conventional areas nor on the door... Tucked away?

Finally an answer to this question. It's in the climate settings on screen (@ 1 min).

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News