Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 05:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If memory serves me, the SC had the rear two seats added to avoid a $2000 import tax on 2-seat coupes vs 4-seat coupes.
Old 12-21-16, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The light ultra performance sports car segment will be filled by the Supra. Also removing the rear seats is not going to shave off 500 pounds.
Well, the seats alone would not shave off that much weight, but making the car slightly shorter overall to compensate probably would have. That's why I said the seats were where they would start .

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The reason they do this is for insurance classification. Those rear seats save the owners money, and they're there for use in a pinch if they need them.
Originally Posted by ssmoked
Do you really think Toyota had customers insurance premium in mind when designing this 100k+ car?
True, 2-seaters often do get a bum (and undeserved) rap on insurance premiums. But I have to agree with ssmoked......I don't think insurance premiums were a terribly big concern on the part of this car's designers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-21-16, 05:55 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If memory serves me, the SC had the rear two seats added to avoid a $2000 import tax on 2-seat coupes vs 4-seat coupes.
Interesting. I know that certain Seiko automatic watches back in the day came to the US with only 17 jewels instead of the 27 jewels that JDM markets sold. There was an import tariff imposed on them with restrictions, of all things, on the number of jewels in the movement.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, IMO, they could start by making it a classic 2-seater instead of a 2+2. In all but the very largest coupes, the rear seats are all but worthless for adults anyway....usually suitable for nothing more than a package shelf, or for small children at the most.
I think this is going to be this car's issue with consumers at the upper end of the market who have this type of money to spend on a second and likely third car.

The Mercedes S class coupe has a bigger greenhouse and so does the 650i coupe implying space, grace and comfort. With a Jaguar you also has a bit of a rear window implying that it is a GT but it is way lighter at curb weight. The LC wants to look closer to a Corvette or a sporty coupe than a heavier, larger GT but then it ends up being neither. Buyers at this end of the market really love the classic big bruiser cruiser performance and big sleek lines. There are other sportier options for a true two door sports coupe.

I wonder if Akio Toyoda-san wants this as a marketing statement as opposed to really going after the other guys in the segment. It's a car I want to like but it seems to have some compromises.
Old 12-21-16, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But I have to agree with ssmoked......I don't think insurance premiums were a terribly big concern on the part of this car's designers.
Do a little research into it.
Old 12-21-16, 06:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Interesting. I know that certain Seiko automatic watches back in the day came to the US with only 17 jewels instead of the 27 jewels that JDM markets sold. There was an import tariff imposed on them with restrictions, of all things, on the number of jewels in the movement.

I think this is going to be this car's issue with consumers at the upper end of the market who have this type of money to spend on a second and likely third car.

The Mercedes S class coupe has a bigger greenhouse and so does the 650i coupe implying space, grace and comfort. With a Jaguar you also has a bit of a rear window implying that it is a GT but it is way lighter at curb weight. The LC wants to look closer to a Corvette or a sporty coupe than a heavier, larger GT but then it ends up being neither. Buyers at this end of the market really love the classic big bruiser cruiser performance and big sleek lines. There are other sportier options for a true two door sports coupe.

I wonder if Akio Toyoda-san wants this as a marketing statement as opposed to really going after the other guys in the segment. It's a car I want to like but it seems to have some compromises.
Come on seriously. Did you mention Corvette? While I agree that the LC seems heavy and it is a new chassis, but look at S class coupe, Bentley coupe and they are all pretty damn heavy. So is the 6 series.
Old 12-21-16, 07:28 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Correct. Also, take a look at the back seats in the Jaguar XK. If insurance premiums don't play a big part in this, Jaguar is assuming the rear passengers don't have legs.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LC News-2010-jaguar-xkr-rear-seats-photo-330650-s-1280x782.jpg  
Old 12-21-16, 07:37 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Correct, leftover 2013 IS-Fs.
Just wondering, how do you know this when you didn't even know a '14 ISF existed up until a few hrs ago?!!?!?!
There are changes in each model...The '14 has things the rest of them don't.
And even if they are "leftovers", I wish they had "leftovers" from '14....And '15......And '16, lol.

The reason they do this is for insurance classification. Those rear seats save the owners money, and they're there for use in a pinch if they need them.
SOME truth to this but definitely not a MAIN reason they put back seats in this car.

V.
Old 12-21-16, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Correct. Also, take a look at the back seats in the Jaguar XK. If insurance premiums don't play a big part in this, Jaguar is assuming the rear passengers don't have legs.
....or heads LOL.
Old 12-21-16, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am going to quote this again so maybe more people won't miss this
Old 12-21-16, 09:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Come on seriously. Did you mention Corvette? While I agree that the LC seems heavy and it is a new chassis, but look at S class coupe, Bentley coupe and they are all pretty damn heavy. So is the 6 series.
From my post:

Originally Posted by Mattyg
... The LC wants to look closer to a Corvette or a sporty coupe than a heavier, larger GT but then it ends up being neither.
As I mentioned, those big Euro cruisers carved out their market by being big luxe cruisers. What is this car trying to be?
Old 12-21-16, 09:48 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Do a little research into it.
from your post #2695, the way you worded it sounds like the only reason there is back seat is to save the owner money on insurance. From my personal experience, my insurance rate rose $100 (15%)/6 month from my 2 door 370z pure sports car to my current 4-seater RCF GT
Old 12-21-16, 09:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
from your post #2695, the way you worded it sounds like the only reason there is back seat is to save the owner money on insurance. From my personal experience, my insurance rate rose $100 (15%)/6 month from my 2 door 370z pure sports car to my current 4-seater RCF GT
No, not at all. The insurance rates are an example of a classification issue between a 2 seat coupe and a 4 seat coupe, other members have posted other examples (tariffs, etc).
Old 12-21-16, 10:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Does anybody know what that huge void is for on the segment to the right of the clock and above the glove compartment?

When I sat in the LC I didn't take the time to investigate it, I actually regret not investigating more things as I was just soaking in the experience. I do know there is some ambient lighting from the bottom left on that area but other than that, does that area do anything else but light up at night? The photo below is the best I can find.

Old 12-22-16, 05:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Just wondering, how do you know this when you didn't even know a '14 ISF existed up until a few hrs ago?!!?!?!
There are changes in each model...The '14 has things the rest of them don't.
And even if they are "leftovers", I wish they had "leftovers" from '14....And '15......And '16, lol.

V.
There never was a 14 IS F.
Old 12-22-16, 06:47 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

ssmoked, you went from a $30k to an over $60k car and your insurance only went up $100

yes, the back seats are saving you money on insurance

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News