Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-11, 04:29 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone considered the possibility that this may be an IS concept? The IS and LS are in the batters box in regards to an all new model. I also think it is a new SC, but was just thinking that the IS is a possibility too. Most of us remember that the 2IS was derived from the LF-C concept which was also a coupe. http://www.allcarcentral.com/Lexus/L...Photo_2010.jpg . I guess we won't know till its time!
Old 12-24-11, 05:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I see huge similarities between this concept and the production LF-A. Pretty obvious relation, as if Calty was instructed, "you must design a concept around this existing platform".

Nonetheless I like it.

It will be 2+2. Hybrid is probably a given since we're entering an age in te USA where federal legislation itself practically makes it necessary. Lexus can implement it better than in their boring cars, however.

I prefer this to be a RWD-only coupe (don't care for convertibles at all) with a turbocharged engine regardless of the hybrid system used.

Also, I'd be disappointed if Lexus didn't offer a traditional manual transmission. The LF-A needs to shift in the least time possible. A passion coupe doesn't and nothing is more passionate and engaging than a true manual. Even in a Lexus.

Also, the new SC needs to have a mechanical or electronically active rear differential that allows for aggressive driving and the shutdown of all traction control and nanny systems.

Should be a great car.
there will be certainly no manual.... obviously it is defined with Lexus new design theme in mind.
Old 12-24-11, 05:27 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by j three
Has anyone considered the possibility that this may be an IS concept? The IS and LS are in the batters box in regards to an all new model. I also think it is a new SC, but was just thinking that the IS is a possibility too. Most of us remember that the 2IS was derived from the LF-C concept which was also a coupe. http://www.allcarcentral.com/Lexus/L...Photo_2010.jpg . I guess we won't know till its time!
The way the interior is designed is way too luxurious for an entry level model.

I've got my money on the SC. it just makes the most sense, considering the last SC has been discontinued.
Old 12-25-11, 09:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I have more faith on this than honda's

a lot more
Is too early to tell.

NSX will most likely be V6 Hybrid 7-speed DCT.

The SC could go either way, it could be a SC600 with the 600's V8 Hybrid........that would be HOT. Or it could be a SC450/500 with a V6 Hybrid, then it would be similar to a NSX.

Either way, I am excited there will be 2 new highend coupe from Japan, is been too long!
Old 12-26-11, 12:55 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The way the interior is designed is way too luxurious for an entry level model.

I've got my money on the SC. it just makes the most sense, considering the last SC has been discontinued.
I agree as well it's most likely the 3SC since Lexus has discontinued the SC 430. Since it's in hybrid form obvisiouly it'll include a hybrid variant. Thinking:

SC 250 (China & Europe)
SC 350
SC 450h

SC F
Old 12-26-11, 09:01 PM
LexFather

I never understand why people want a Lexus manual. Lexus manuals always suck to me.

Old 12-26-11, 10:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I never understand why people want a Lexus manual. Lexus manuals always suck to me.
Some people just refuses to change...........
Old 12-27-11, 03:18 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I agree as well it's most likely the 3SC since Lexus has discontinued the SC 430. Since it's in hybrid form obvisiouly it'll include a hybrid variant. Thinking:

SC 250 (China & Europe)
SC 350
SC 450h

SC F
Now that I think about it. Most likely Lexus won't make an SC 250/350 because it would compete with the IS 250C/350C.

Maybe Lexus will make:

SC 450h
SC 460

SC F (Hopefully in the future)
Old 12-27-11, 05:31 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poll: would you prefer it to be called the SC or the LC once it goes into production?

SC - has the heritage factor but the name is tainted by the 2nd generation that was eventually discontinued.
LC - a brand new beginning and a stronger connection to the LS flagship

Whatever it will be called, I feel like it will be dictated by its underpinnings and general concept. My personal preference is to have it be called it the LC. It opens up possibilities of a line of coupes from Lexus much like how the LS began it all for the brand, from the LC down to the IC (admittedly IC sounds a little weird lol). It will also show the pinnacle of Lexus performance outside of LFA, which I feel should continue with a new model once the 500 units are completed. With perhaps a year break in order to rearrange the factory for the new model.
Old 12-27-11, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mordecai
Poll: would you prefer it to be called the SC or the LC once it goes into production?

SC - has the heritage factor but the name is tainted by the 2nd generation that was eventually discontinued.

Whatever it will be called, I feel like it will be dictated by its underpinnings and general concept. My personal preference is to have it be called it the LC. It opens up possibilities of a line of coupes from Lexus much like how the LS began it all for the brand, from the LC down to the IC (admittedly IC sounds a little weird lol). It will also show the pinnacle of Lexus performance outside of LFA, which I feel should continue with a new model once the 500 units are completed. With perhaps a year break in order to rearrange the factory for the new model.
Simple answer for me.

Make this LC then make a SC.

Old 12-27-11, 07:54 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mordecai

I prefer it to be called the SC because:
1. The "S" in the SC would signify the new-found sporty character in Lexus's new line-up, rather than being another Luxury Cruiser that the last-gen SC really was.
2. The size of the LF-LC appears to be more comparable to the 6-series and the E-Class Coupe than to the CL-Class, which means it shouldn't be considered an LS coupe and therefore shouldn't have the letter "L".
3. The SC deserves to live on.
Old 12-28-11, 08:46 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motortrend called this last year.

New SC Also in Pipeline

The other star attraction in the upcoming Lexus lineup will be the next generation SC 600h, which is due to be unveiled in mid-2014. While the current SC is scheduled to go out of production in July of this year, the new SC coupe will resurface powered by a 5.0-liter V-8 hybrid system that drives the rear wheels. Set to lock horns with the Mercedes SL, the new luxury two-door is also expected to employ the GS’s rear-wheel torque split unit.
http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...rid_plans.html

This was back in 08

Toyota Cancels 2011 Lexus SC

Lexus LF-A-based 2011 Lexus SC has been canned. Additionally, it looks like the 2011 Toyota Avalon may meet the same fate, replaced instead with a long-wheelbase 2012 Toyota Camry.

Originally, Lexus's plan was to develop a new SC based on the LF-A, but softened-up a bit for the colostomy-bag crowd at which the current model is targeted. However, sales of the so-ugly-it-hurts $67,120 hardtop convertible dropped 40% during the first half of 2008, necessitating a total rethink. We guess the market for a 288 HP 16-mpg city, non-performance luxury convertible isn't as big as was once thought.
http://jalopnik.com/398472/toyota-ca...011-avalon-too

Old news but it did stated that a new SC would be based on the LFA design. Also we know that the Avalon was not killed off so it seems "project SC" is still a go.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 12-28-11 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-28-11, 09:17 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Completely agree.

If Ferrari and Lamborghini have stopped making manuals, it would be really stupid for Lexus to be making them!

If someone wants a manual, tell them to go buy a damned honda civic.
Old 12-28-11, 10:13 AM
itruns
Driver

Originally Posted by MY2J
I wouldn't get my hopes up... Lexus has a bad rep of being really slow with the competition... and other than the IS-F and the LFA, they've only been tree hugging lately

HS Hybrid = Toyota Corolla
CT Hybrid = Toyota Matrix
2012 Concept = Toyota Yaris
Sorry, but you are wrong.. I understand that the HS hybrid is off a Highly modified Camry platform, with the Camry Hybrid power train... 0 in common with the Corolla

The CT has its own platform, using a much modified Prius Power train. It has a fully independent rear suspension, something the Matrix doesn’t have, not the same power train nor chassis. It does look similar to the Matrix, and the Mazda 3, Ford hatchback etc... but that is a popular configuration....

One of the many benefits of being one of the largest automobile manufactures in the world is the ability to share production costs across models by sharing components… but I have family members who own/drive Corollas, Matrixs, Prius etc and I get to drive the Lexuses on a regular basis (except the LFA and of course the 2012 concept yet..) and I can tell you there is some superficial similarities, but that is about it..

The 2012 concept is... well you will have to wait until next month for that one, but it is a very long, long way from a Yaris or the FT86....

Both Toyota and Lexus has been ignoring the performance segment more than they should… but the winds are changing… the next 2-3 years will be very interesting.
Old 12-28-11, 10:47 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking AutoBlog Green

Toyota has been a bit secretive about the new Lexus LF-LC concept that's coming to the Detroit Auto Show, but we finally learned that this car will indeed pack a hybrid powertrain under its sexy sheetmetal.

The car was designed at Lexus' Calty design studio in Newport Beach, CA under orders a challenge from the Lexus Center in Japan "to design a future hybrid sport-coupe concept" that "advance[s] the redefinition of Lexus with emotive, avant-garde beauty and unequalled technology." Given those requirements, the Calty crew came up with the car you see above. We'll show you more from Cobo Hall, including as much information as we can about the Advanced Lexus Hybrid Drive hiding under the hood. Until then, we've got teaser shots available in the galleries and a short press release after the jump.
Lexus to Unveil Hybrid Sport Coupe Concept at Detroit Auto Show

Toyota City, Japan, December 22, 2011-Lexus announces that it will unveil the "LF-LC" 2+2 sport coupe-a concept vehicle taking the new Lexus design direction 1 step further-at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 9, 2012 (U.S. Eastern time).

Challenged by the Lexus Center in Japan to design a future hybrid sport-coupe concept, the company's Calty design studio in Newport Beach, California, United States sought to advance the redefinition of Lexus with emotive, avant-garde beauty and unequalled technology.

The LF-LC features Advanced Lexus Hybrid Drive, delivering both driving performance and fuel efficiency.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News