Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 04:45 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One rumor being close doesn't make them all.
Old 12-21-15, 01:16 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

150k for a big atmospheric V8? No thanks. The LC better have carbon fiber everywhere and a 600hp hybrid plugin drivetrain to justify that figure. Hey, maybe Lexus are making the anti-i8: a huge NA V8 for sound and top end power, big electric motors for instant massive torque, and a big battery pack for plug charging. Like a bruiser big brother to the GS450h.
Old 12-21-15, 01:57 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
150k for a big atmospheric V8? No thanks. The LC better have carbon fiber everywhere and a 600hp hybrid plugin drivetrain to justify that figure. Hey, maybe Lexus are making the anti-i8: a huge NA V8 for sound and top end power, big electric motors for instant massive torque, and a big battery pack for plug charging. Like a bruiser big brother to the GS450h.
Please don't let it be anything like GS450h because hybrid powertrain in that thing hasn't changed since 2007. If there is any indication Toyota WEC has developed DI-turbo V8 coupled with 8mj batteries (instead of capacitors) racing powertrain for the next season of Le Mans endurance series. So maybe they indeed have a much potent hybrid setup in this thing. Just don't expect LIB cause I'm not sure we will see those from Toyota in the near future.
Old 12-21-15, 10:59 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
It will probably have everything LFA had, minus the V10 and few other goodies. Which would roughly come out to $150K.
No chance that even a downgraded, mass-production powerplant in an chassis comparable to the LFA would price at $150k. Toyota hasn't developed that production capability yet, esp. for CF (in part because they haven't bothered trying).

Originally Posted by chromedome
150k for a big atmospheric V8? No thanks.
I would pay $150k in a heartbeat for a car with an engine derived from the TS040 so long as it drove in any way resembling the LFA (although I acknowledge that Toyota doesn't have the guts do it). The atmospheric V8 isn't the problem, it's everything else with the car that is the problem.
Old 12-21-15, 12:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Please don't let it be anything like GS450h because hybrid powertrain in that thing hasn't changed since 2007. If there is any indication Toyota WEC has developed DI-turbo V8 coupled with 8mj batteries (instead of capacitors) racing powertrain for the next season of Le Mans endurance series. So maybe they indeed have a much potent hybrid setup in this thing. Just don't expect LIB cause I'm not sure we will see those from Toyota in the near future.
Of course they changed it in new model. It is slower now with atkinson cycle. but 35% better mpg. This is the problem with mag racing, you see same displacement and think it is same engine. They increased compression, added D4S, etc, etc.

It is also probably the best hybrid powertrain out right now. It gets great mpg and it has plenty of power. In GS450h it has unique two speed transmission which is pretty expensive and hence vehicle itself is pretty expensive. It is very high tech engine with 2 electric motors, one 200hp powering the car and another 180hp for recharging the battery. I am not so sure that any of high end plugins have such expensive setups.

It is definitely not for top end LC, but next version would do great in LS for instance and certainly base LC.
Old 12-21-15, 03:04 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Of course they changed it in new model. It is slower now with atkinson cycle. but 35% better mpg. This is the problem with mag racing, you see same displacement and think it is same engine. They increased compression, added D4S, etc, etc.

It is also probably the best hybrid powertrain out right now. It gets great mpg and it has plenty of power. In GS450h it has unique two speed transmission which is pretty expensive and hence vehicle itself is pretty expensive. It is very high tech engine with 2 electric motors, one 200hp powering the car and another 180hp for recharging the battery. I am not so sure that any of high end plugins have such expensive setups.

It is definitely not for top end LC, but next version would do great in LS for instance and certainly base LC.
I wasnt clear in my post, I was refering to electric components of hybrid setup. Do you know if they have changed at all since the original GSh?
Old 12-21-15, 08:13 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The GS450h changed slightly for the current gen GS, with two electric motors and a second planetary gearset for high speed efficiency. Like on the ES and RX hybrids, there's no lag at low speed so you get a big torque kick. But at medium and high speeds, there's a noticeable lag while the MG1 motor spins up the engine to max rpm and road speed slowly catches up. The MG2 motor can deliver power to cover for the engine but the lag is still there.

I hope Toyota has a new hybrid drivetrain which can decouple the engine from the planet gears for better responsiveness. The new Prius has this but they need something a lot stronger to handle the power and torque from an LC supercar.
Old 01-03-16, 07:28 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus World Premiere !

http://www.lexus.com/concept/WORLDPREMIERE/

New model coming to Detroit !!
Old 01-03-16, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Good news! Thanks.
Old 01-03-16, 09:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I would guess an F model based on the rubber. But I was really hoping for a new LS. Do we know if this is a concept or a production model yet?
Old 01-03-16, 10:34 PM
Corkman
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I would guess an F model based on the rubber. But I was really hoping for a new LS. Do we know if this is a concept or a production model yet?
Just went to the San Diego show and the LS has nice lines but a whole lot of grill.

Old 01-03-16, 11:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Units displayed above are the GS and ES, unless you were just making a reference to the LS's grille and then showing other cars.
Old 01-04-16, 09:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Very cool......just next week
Originally Posted by RXSF
I was wondering the same thing....although the LS is about the only one left.
Old 01-04-16, 09:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Suspect it is likely the LF-LC concept rolling into a production model since they said new model and it appears to be performance focused from the burnouts on the landing page

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-04-16 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-16, 10:02 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

As someone with no kids, it's sad I'm more excited for Chrysler's new minivan unveil than this car or the E-class. But hell yeah for Lexus on rolling out the coupe at Detroit! I love the fact that they're reentering this segment.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News