Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many miles is too much for you to consider buying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 09:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I dont see what is wrong with that. If someone is getting a brand new car, it would suck to get one with 30-40 miles already on the ticker.
Would you feel that way at the end of 3 years, when you have 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it? That it really "sucked" 3 years ago when my "brand new car" had 40 miles on it, and I didn't get to "enjoy" it from mile 1? 1 mi, 10 mi, 40 mi at delivery--it's more psychological than anything.

Last edited by tex2670; 12-08-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 02:48 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

What would you pay for a 2014 4GS with 7k miles? Probably cost $56k when new.
Old 12-08-15, 03:26 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny that I used to buy all used vehicles and never looked at new.

But since I switched to new cars only, I don't even consider buying used at all, not even used ones with 1000 miles on it. Almost all cars older than 2 years old have zero appeal to me, the only exception is rare collectibles. Now if I ever think about buying an used car, it's those super clean S2000, NSX or 97+ Supras
Old 12-08-15, 04:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
the only exception is rare collectibles. Now if I ever think about buying an used car, it's those super clean S2000, NSX or 97+ Supras
toss in an RX-7 and you have yourself a real guest list there

i think inheriting an LS 400 has definitely changed my views on what i want from a car. now i want everything to be like it lol... i see enough big screens throughout my day, including right now as i type this lol. there is nothing in that interior that'd make you go "what were they thinking with that" or "that's a complete waste of time." sure i don't need an electronically adjustable headrest, seatbelt, lumbar, steering wheel, or seat, but everything actively serves to make the experience as effortless as possible without adding any unnecessary clutter.

about the original question, it depends. any 90s toyota product i wouldn't really care about the milage, and if anything i'd look for a really high milage one to see how long i could keep it going lol... otherwise i'd want something that gets driven like 10,000 miles a year, mostly highway miles if possible. seeing too few miles on a car would put me off of it, but i also wouldn't want something completely trashed either.
Old 12-08-15, 07:27 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I dont see what is wrong with that. If someone is getting a brand new car, it would suck to get one with 30-40 miles already on the ticker.
eh, nothing wrong with it; just pointing out the quirky offbeat implication of 1 mile will warrant some consideration compare to OP's 300,000 miles.
Old 12-08-15, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The average new car, sitting on the lot, might have a couple of dozen miles on it. Laws differ according to jurisdiction, but, in some places, a "new" car, legally, can have up to 1000 miles on it.

I agree with you on one thing, though..as far as I'm concerned, the fewer miles, the better. That's why, when I do a test-drive, I do enough miles to get a good feel for the car over several different types of roads (and an accurate review), but I have enough respect to consider that if I myself don't buy that car, someone else probably will, and he or she is entitled to a new car with a reasonably few miles on it, too. That, IMO, is just plain courtesy.

Originally Posted by nosurprise
So your max is 1 mile?
I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't as concerned with the total number of miles on it as the way some idiots test-drive and abuse a car. In fact, I hate to admit it, but an old friend of mine did that once, some years ago, while test-driving a new Geo Storm....ragged the hell out of it. Even though he was my friend (and remained so afterward), I was quite mad, gave him a dressing-down, and a (verbal) kick in the a**.
Old 12-09-15, 07:38 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
toss in an RX-7 and you have yourself a real guest list there

i think inheriting an LS 400 has definitely changed my views on what i want from a car. now i want everything to be like it lol... i see enough big screens throughout my day, including right now as i type this lol. there is nothing in that interior that'd make you go "what were they thinking with that" or "that's a complete waste of time." sure i don't need an electronically adjustable headrest, seatbelt, lumbar, steering wheel, or seat, but everything actively serves to make the experience as effortless as possible without adding any unnecessary clutter.

about the original question, it depends. any 90s toyota product i wouldn't really care about the milage, and if anything i'd look for a really high milage one to see how long i could keep it going lol... otherwise i'd want something that gets driven like 10,000 miles a year, mostly highway miles if possible. seeing too few miles on a car would put me off of it, but i also wouldn't want something completely trashed either.
hold on, is this Ferretti's intern again? I found you on reddit now I find you on CL.
Old 12-11-15, 07:11 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The only used car I ever bought was a '99 SC300 with 25k miles on it. It was immaculate and ran like new. I've seen many of those cars with well over 100k miles on them.
Old 12-12-15, 01:47 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Out of the 13 SCs I had, the 98 SC400 had 287k and it runs strong lol
Old 12-12-15, 10:23 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
I would say that it all depends on the make of car.

Some used cars from certain automakers are problematic as soon as 60k miles if not sooner.

Generally, I would go up to 100k miles on any Toyota/Lexus model.

Other makes like VW,Nissan,Infiniti,etc. I would make my cut-off at about 30-40k miles if it runs well without any additional soot or smoke from the tail pipe at start-up.

Honda/Acura depends if the engine had a timing belt or not, which I think most Honda engines still have up to very recently.

If the Honda engine still have the timing belt, then I would go no higher than 50k miles to have some wiggle room since the timing belts could fail from 60k miles on up.

I would not buy any car no matter the make if it has more than 150k miles since the timing chain and guides would be one of the main concerns at that mileage range, unless the previous owner was very good with the oil changes since proper oil changes keeps the timing chain/guide friction free for long life.

My second concern would be the transmission.

If the previous owner changed the filter early(before 100k miles or sooner) and/or regularly changed the fluid, then I would be more at ease.

If not, the transmission maybe on the way out at those miles above 100k or is probably a rebuilt unit which usually do not last as long as the original transmission from what i was told, so again a potentially costly repair for a car like the LX570.

If you can afford to buy one new, then I guess you can handle any issues that may a rise from a used high mileage LX570.

If you can not afford a new model, then I would walk away since Lexus will charge you just about the same to repair an old LX570 as the newer model.
$$$$
Exactly, I care much more about the brand/model then the mileage of a car. I would not hesitate much to buy a Toyota/Lexus Honda/Acura with 100K miles or more as long as they were well taken care of and the price was right but there is no way I would buy a Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Jag, Land/Range Rover, Alfa, Maserati, Chrysler, GM, Ford, Ferrari, and probably most Porsche's without a few years warranty or approaching anywhere near 50K miles, just too risky. Nissan's/Ininiti's I am a little more iffy about compared to Honda/Toyota but trust them much more then German/US cars, depends on model.
Old 12-12-15, 10:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Older Camry and Avalon, or any 3.0 models with V6 engine have engine oil problems (95/-02?)

Older Honda Accord/Acura TL have transmission problems, the V6 models too. These cars won't last.
Old 12-13-15, 09:11 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
hold on, is this Ferretti's intern again? I found you on reddit now I find you on CL.
well I was his intern lol, just did that over the summer break

I have a youtube channel too, and as of recently there's been a lot more super speeding on that than on superspeeders lol... which, btw is a thing of the past now, rob said so himself. I'd be like "rob come onnnn supra vs corvette!! let's go film it" and that kind of stuff and his response was basically nah I've made those videos already now I'm finished doing that. he has a kid and everything now so I can't blame him for not wanting to put himself at risk but isn't that what the interns are for? haha
Old 12-13-15, 10:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Older Camry and Avalon, or any 3.0 models with V6 engine have engine oil problems (95/-02?)

Older Honda Accord/Acura TL have transmission problems, the V6 models too. These cars won't last.
If you change the oil ON TIME in the Toyota V6 engines, you don't have the oil sludge issue. They're very unforgiving if you don't change the oil at the recommended intervals. I blame equally idiot owners and the way Toyota wrote the owner's manual. The "severe service" interval of 5,000 mile oil changes includes "frequent short trips where the engine does not get up to operating temperature". Well most uneducated, non-car people think "Well I don't beat on my car, so I don't need to change the oil as often, so I can go with the longer non-severe service interval". Most people don't know that frequent, short trips of less than 5 miles, especially in winter when the car doesn't get up to operating temperature is absolute murder on oil life.

As for the Honda/Acuras with the junk automatic transmissions, just plan on budgeting a transmission rebuild into the purchase price of the car, after 80-100k miles its just a matter of time before they fail. It sucks, but they aren't nearly as bad as some of the POS Chrysler transmissions.
Old 12-14-15, 08:13 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

thanks for all your thoughts and replies. Saw a 08 Toyota Sequoia listed locally for almost $20k with 177k miles, again impeccable Carfax history with 30+ maintenance entries. This thing had regular tranny flushes at 75k miles, spark plug/brakes/filters changes regularly. But still almost $20k with almost 200k miles is still a lot.
Old 12-14-15, 08:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I wouldn't buy it...

Quick Reply: How many miles is too much for you to consider buying?