Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why mod a car and then sell it once its complete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 06:25 PM
super51fan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why mod a car and then sell it once its complete?

Just as the title says. I have been on countless forums and car groups and it is a reoccuring theme. I just do not understand why someone would dump a ton of money into a car and then sell it for a huge loss after it is finishing without enjoying it for a little while. Thoughts?
Old 12-23-15, 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Because for many the joy is in researching and implementing the creative mods, and once it's done, they're done and want to move on to the next project.

Just like any hobby. Why spend a fortune playing golf when one is not likely to ever be very good and once the round is over you just have to start all over.
Old 12-23-15, 08:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Gives someone something to do with their excess $$. Not always the end result, it is the course of travel to make progress and spending the $$ is the joy. I put $ towards hobbies and after realizing that it didn't hold the same interest, those items were sold off. Yes and often at a loss. Sometimes the items have appreciated so the fun of using those $ towards a current interest is pretty fun. In all practicality I would do better to put the $$ into the house. One lesson I learned was one joy comes from using.
Old 12-24-15, 06:41 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's like buying a boat to go fishing - If it was the fish you were after, you could buy a truckload of fish at the market for less than the cost of the boat. If you wanted to golf for the exercise, rather than tie up thousands of dollars in clubs and other gear, plus a club membership . . . you could always walk. Serious golfers buy a cart. Oops! there goes the "exercise" part. It's all about the enjoyment of the hobby, not necessarily the bottom line.

I submit that shanking a few shots or falling overboard while attempting to land a trophy (best if you have an audience for either), while it doesn't do much for your enjoyment of the activity, at least toughens up your constitution. Try to keep in mind that you're doing this for fun.
Old 12-25-15, 05:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
It's like buying a boat to go fishing - If it was the fish you were after, you could buy a truckload of fish at the market for less than the cost of the boat. If you wanted to golf for the exercise, rather than tie up thousands of dollars in clubs and other gear, plus a club membership . . . you could always walk. Serious golfers buy a cart. Oops! there goes the "exercise" part. It's all about the enjoyment of the hobby, not necessarily the bottom line.

I submit that shanking a few shots or falling overboard while attempting to land a trophy (best if you have an audience for either), while it doesn't do much for your enjoyment of the activity, at least toughens up your constitution. Try to keep in mind that you're doing this for fun.
I don't follow at all...

How is buying a boat to go fishing related to buying a car and spending countless hours building it in your garage even remotely the same thing?

I have and do both, so I just don't understand. Can you explain?

Edit: I get it, fishing is part about catching the fish, part about enjoying your day in mother nature and being away from alot of crap we see on a daily basis (traffic, noise, people, etc.).
However, what is the point in building a car if you won't even enjoy it after wards? What kind of stupid hobby is that? If you like to build things, might as well make some money on it and build cars for other people who don't have the tools or resources to do it themselves. That's like making a delicious dinner and tossing it away because you "enjoy" the process of cooking but not the eating part.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 12-25-15 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-26-15, 07:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For some it's all about the journey rather than the destination.
Old 12-26-15, 09:48 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

That sounds like it came straight out of an Infiniti commercial... still don't get it.
Old 12-26-15, 12:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it's all about the process and once it's done I feel empty and nothing more to do so I moved on, happened to me many times. For me it's also car buying process, I enjoy research, searching for the right car, specially the night before I pick it up, but once I got the car I lost interest.
Old 12-26-15, 01:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah I don't get people either, when they do a huge crazy build then sell it right afterwards.

Now I've seen some of these people on the same boards(especially the Chevy LS crowd) who go straight up power mad. I've seen them do 3 or 4 engine builds on the same car, you know it starts with them buying something stock or with a blown motor, then they're just going to make it a nice cruiser with a lumpy cam. Next thing you know, a year or two later they've gone through two different motors, now they're doing some sort of 1500rwhp twin turbo build and have a cage in the car.
Old 12-26-15, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah I don't get people either, when they do a huge crazy build then sell it right afterwards.

Now I've seen some of these people on the same boards(especially the Chevy LS crowd) who go straight up power mad. I've seen them do 3 or 4 engine builds on the same car, you know it starts with them buying something stock or with a blown motor, then they're just going to make it a nice cruiser with a lumpy cam. Next thing you know, a year or two later they've gone through two different motors, now they're doing some sort of 1500rwhp twin turbo build and have a cage in the car.

And, even after all of those engines mod, the same speed limits apply on the same roads, no matter what the car's top speed or 0-60/quarter-mile times are. You'll get the same speeding ticket either way.
Old 12-26-15, 03:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, even after all of those engines mod, the same speed limits apply on the same roads, no matter what the car's top speed or 0-60/quarter-mile times are. You'll get the same speeding ticket either way.
Most of those guys I'm talking about are hardcore into drag racing. Or some of them do the relatively new "Texas Mile" type racing, which is standing start to 1 mile. Kind of crazy that some of these guys are doing 200+mph in a standing mile.
Old 12-27-15, 08:56 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If you like to build things, might as well make some money on it and build cars for other people who don't have the tools or resources to do it themselves. That's like making a delicious dinner and tossing it away because you "enjoy" the process of cooking but not the eating part.
could not have said this any better

most of the "persons" whom the op is referring to would be better served performing various home improvement projects or flipping houses on the side, rather than living in crappy homes with huge mortgages (or worse renting homes) and losing vast sums of "disposable" income on their "hobby"
Old 12-27-15, 10:03 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup. Some people would say "It's all about the chase"
Old 12-27-15, 12:28 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
could not have said this any better

most of the "persons" whom the op is referring to would be better served performing various home improvement projects or flipping houses on the side, rather than living in crappy homes with huge mortgages (or worse renting homes) and losing vast sums of "disposable" income on their "hobby"
Hey....they keep the economy going for spending $$.
Old 12-27-15, 12:37 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are story tellers, story listeners and then people who actually live the story.

Quick Reply: Why mod a car and then sell it once its complete?