Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Purchasing another car after lease

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 02:47 PM
mano993
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing another car after lease

Hi guys,

So my lease will be up in 6 months, and my dealer would let me end my lease early if I choose to buy a car from them (which is what I want to do anyway).

My question is, my current car has some scratches and wheel rash, when I go negotiate with them for the new car's price, should I ask them if I could return my current car without repairing it before or after reaching the deal of my new car? How would you guys do it in my situation?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-16, 06:56 PM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your talking two separate things here, buying a new car and returning a leased car. Unless your trading in the leased car which I doubt you have any equity in it to do that. If the damage is over usual wear and tear they will charge you for it when you return the car. The bigger concern you have is typically a leasing company will not let you out of a lease especially 6 months worth maybe up to three but six is a lot. Be careful the dealer is not rolling over the 6 payments into the price of the new car somehow. They have ways of hiding the costs into other deals so just be careful.

Originally Posted by mano993
Hi guys,

So my lease will be up in 6 months, and my dealer would let me end my lease early if I choose to buy a car from them (which is what I want to do anyway).

My question is, my current car has some scratches and wheel rash, when I go negotiate with them for the new car's price, should I ask them if I could return my current car without repairing it before or after reaching the deal of my new car? How would you guys do it in my situation?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-16, 11:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to your dealer, if they wanna make the deal they can make it happen. I returned my 750 more than 6 months early, and the dealer didn't charge me a cent for the sent, scratches, tires or anything.
Old 01-02-16, 09:07 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

When the lease was up on my 2010 RX350, the residual value was less than the value the dealer placed on it as a used car. Instead of returning the lease, the dealer took it in trade, excused some minor dings, and allowed me an extra $1000 toward my next purchase. There are actually some times where there is an equity on your lease. The dealer has a few ways they can work with you to sell you another car.

Most of the times I have returned a leased vehicle, the dealer did not want to get involved between me and Lexus Financial.

I just got a card from Lexus Financial offering to let me end the lease 3 months early at no charge if I lease another Lexus through them. This is strictly from the finance group and does not directly involve the dealer.
Steve