Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Upfront payments when trading in on and old lease

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 06:56 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I leased a land rover, up front including fees was 3k, which I used my 142k mile lexus to cover. Between the manufacturer incentives, some hard ball negotiating, and going in the monday before new years, I squeezed out a pretty sweet deal.

I went into the dealer with my laptop and my excel model on the sales guy's desk and pretty much went back and forth with that. My goal was to get a trade-in value with my car (regardless of what they give me), and keep my monthly 3x less than the 36 month financing amount, and did the reverse math to see if they are making a profit (the less they give on trade-in the more i have to squeeze them). Any time they came back with a higher number I kept squeezing them. Their national ad was for a base model car, 2.9k down, 399 a month not included taxes and other fees. I ended up with a upgraded car, 3k down (trade), and 400 a month including all taxes and fees.

Last edited by mikez; 01-07-16 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 11:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A friend of mine has twice leased a new ES350 for 27 months......at the same dealership. Both times, they gave him a discount off of the total lease-amount if it was all paid up front, and not month-by-month (he didn't tell me the exact amount). There are both advantages and disadvantages to doing it that way, as has already been discussed in previous posts.
Well if that's the case and you have the cash, then of course it makes sense to pay it up front and get the discount. It might be a local dealer incentive. But I wonder, if something does happen with the vehicle during your lease period, this might work out, right? Because you've already pre-paid the financial institution the value of the contract. The insurance company would simply give them the value of the vehicle. If you were still making payments, then you're required to pay the difference (if the insurance value is less than the amount you owe) immediately, right?

Originally Posted by RX_330
That is correct. Multiple Security Deposits (MSD) allow you to "buy down" the money factor and save some money. MSD can be returned if you choose not to lease again, or can be applied to any future lease thereafter.

MSD are only useful if the money factor for you is really high. Its just like for financing, lets say for whatever reason you are not tier 1 credit, so you dont qualify for the lowest rates available - if you put more money down, the banks will lower your rate for you. If for whatever reason you dont qualify for tier 1 MF, you can "buy down" the MF by applying MSD.
Ahh, thanks! Well on the Lexus site, the MSD is really just an incentive. It's applicable even on special rates (so if it's 2.9% for 36 months as a special rate, you can still lower that lease rate with MSD).

Originally Posted by wasjr
While legally you are renting the vehicle, I (an **** financial guy) look at it like I am buying the difference (essentially the depreciation) between the negotiated capitalized cost and the contracted residual. I know on the front end what my out of pocket is going to be, and it does not matter what the vehicle is actually worth at the end of the lease. At the end, I can hand back the vehicle, or buy at residual, depending on the actual market value and/or if I want to keep the vehicle.
Had to read that a few times but I understand that logic now.
Old 09-03-20, 10:23 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

My 2017 RX with luxury pkg, 20 inch wheels etc., is up the end of December. It may have only 27,000 miles by then on a 36,000 mile lease. The buyout is $29,800. Thinking of extending the lease or just buying it, My dealer has changed owners so somewhat leery of turning it in and being hit with extra money for wear and tear. What is the extension process like? Do I just keep letting them draft the lease payment or is it a whole new negotiation with the dealer?
Old 09-03-20, 10:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
My 2017 RX with luxury pkg, 20 inch wheels etc., is up the end of December. It may have only 27,000 miles by then on a 36,000 mile lease. The buyout is $29,800. Thinking of extending the lease or just buying it, My dealer has changed owners so somewhat leery of turning it in and being hit with extra money for wear and tear. What is the extension process like? Do I just keep letting them draft the lease payment or is it a whole new negotiation with the dealer?
You don't do it through the dealer. You get a lease extension by calling Lexus Financial. I believe you can extend up to 6 months at the same terms.
Old 02-22-21, 03:48 PM
gagrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*removing comment due to posting in the wrong thread*

Last edited by gagrown; 02-22-21 at 04:03 PM.