Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

question about buying a car

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 12:41 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about buying a car

I am patiently looking for an used ISF. Saw one listed by a dealer 100 miles away. Carfax reported a sideswipe accident 10 months prior.
Called dealer. Salesman, it's a one-owner lease trade in. Asked for photo of car before accident repair. Asked for information about the repair shop so I can do my own investigation but dealer don't want to contact previous owner to obtain that info. Don't want to ask for owner contact info as that would be weird. I don't want some stranger calling me to ask about a car I traded into a dealer.
all the salesman said is "I test drove it and it's perfect. Trust me it's perfect. Nothing wrong with it. I really want to buy it but my boss won't let me buy this car b/c it's only for customers " (not sure if that's a legit reason).
I don't want to drive 100 miles and waste my time. Is it normal to ask for pictures of accident before repair or am I being an a$$? What would people do in this situation? thanks.
Old 01-11-16, 12:58 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you were involved in an accident, did you take pic of the damage, and if so, do you still have the picture?

That is how likely they are to have a picture of the accident, unfortunately.
Old 01-11-16, 02:03 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeSF
I am patiently looking for an used ISF. Saw one listed by a dealer 100 miles away. Carfax reported a sideswipe accident 10 months prior.
Called dealer. Salesman, it's a one-owner lease trade in. Asked for photo of car before accident repair. Asked for information about the repair shop so I can do my own investigation but dealer don't want to contact previous owner to obtain that info. Don't want to ask for owner contact info as that would be weird. I don't want some stranger calling me to ask about a car I traded into a dealer.
all the salesman said is "I test drove it and it's perfect. Trust me it's perfect. Nothing wrong with it. I really want to buy it but my boss won't let me buy this car b/c it's only for customers " (not sure if that's a legit reason).
I don't want to drive 100 miles and waste my time. Is it normal to ask for pictures of accident before repair or am I being an a$$? What would people do in this situation? thanks.
I asked for & received pic's of my 2015 GS350's collision damage before driving 6 hours to buy it from a E-bay seller that does this often. 2,000 miles later no issues. Seller repaired damage 1st.
Old 01-11-16, 02:30 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikez
When you were involved in an accident, did you take pic of the damage, and if so, do you still have the picture?

That is how likely they are to have a picture of the accident, unfortunately.
yeah... I take pics of my accidents. Just for the purpose of documentation for insurance, repair, selling, etc. Everyone carries around a camera 24/7 these days. No, I don't post accidents pics on my facebook / instagram.

I'm not asking for the previous owner info (I am not contacting the previous owner - that would be weird). I would like to think that when I trade my car in (if it had a accident previously, I would include that info paperwork, pictures). A lot of buyers wants to know about previous history when buying and when seller "has all paperwork", this facilitates learning about the car.
Old 01-13-16, 06:07 AM
ronsinsc
Rookie

There is nothing wrong with asking for photographs. If someone suggested that it was not necessary I would ask them if they have a problem with full disclosure of the vehicles history.

The car will most likely suffer some diminished value based on the fact that it has been in air wreck and repaired. As a future buyer if I saw with the damage was and say it was just some minor sideswipe for fender damage I would not be put off as I would if is suffered major damage in the rear or the front
Old 01-13-16, 07:21 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this a Lexus dealer or a car at "Bob's Buy Here, Pay Here" that he bought from auction?

If its a Lexus dealer, it might be worth your time to check out, as they have a reputation to uphold. If its some side of the road used car lot, I'm betting they bought it wrecked from the auction and did the repair as cheaply as possible trying to make a buck.

I generally do not deal with used car lots. I'm usually pretty darn picky about what I buy, so talking to the previous owner you can get a real good feel if they bothered to maintain/take care of the car before you even look at it. I'm also willing to travel if the car is something odd/unique/low production like an IS-F

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-13-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 08:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it OK now is the important question. Not what was before. If you really want to go back, one can even ask for the picture of the iron ore that was then converted to steel sheets and then run through a press to make it into a car. But nobody wants that because what matters is what it is now, not what it was before.
Old 01-13-16, 08:16 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think your expectations are a little too high to get pictures of the accident damage. Very few, if any, people would offer that to the dealer with the trade in. And the dealer definitely doesn't want to reach out to the former owner about it as well. That owner has cleared their mind of this transaction.

If it's THAT important to you, are you willing to pay for an independent 3rd party purchase inspection?

If this is a dealbreaker for you, just move on, plenty of IS-F's to be had, especially in California.
Old 01-13-16, 08:42 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think your expectations are a little too high to get pictures of the accident damage. Very few, if any, people would offer that to the dealer with the trade in. And the dealer definitely doesn't want to reach out to the former owner about it as well. That owner has cleared their mind of this transaction.

If it's THAT important to you, are you willing to pay for an independent 3rd party purchase inspection?

If this is a dealbreaker for you, just move on, plenty of IS-F's to be had, especially in California.
I agree that's why i commented the way I did. I mean this is a lexus, not an exotic. As much as dealer ding you on resale / trade when you have carfax report, the actual decrease in value is hard to judge.

I would ask for pics of previous damage too... if I was buying an exotic car where the resale value significantly changes with an accident like ferrari. And chances are the people selling those car would have the before after pics along with receipts and all service records.
Old 01-13-16, 05:28 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Thanks for everyone inputs. to answer, in no particular order

1. Just that it would be nice to know if the damage was extensive. BIG damages on a car and its frame, no matter how well repaired, tend to affect handling (and safety). Don't really care about cosmetic damages. Spending that much money on a car, one wants to have a nice ride and not an odd handling one.
2. I intend to get a PPI before spending 30-40K on an used car. as mentioned above, the history of the car matters.
3. this car is at a Toyota (but not Lexus) dealership.
4. the car is "far" from where I live. I am pretty busy so taking half a day off to see the car is pointless unless I know I want to buy it. Hence I'm doing my homework before traveling.
5. looks like it's a little unreasonable to expect pictures. I think I may ask a body shop to do a PPI also then.

Last edited by EyeSF; 01-13-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-13-16, 05:49 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If there's extensive frame damage, huge accident claim, the vehicle would often have a branded/salvage title.
Old 01-15-16, 12:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for everyone inputs. to answer, in no particular order

1. Just that it would be nice to know if the damage was extensive. BIG damages on a car and its frame, no matter how well repaired, tend to affect handling (and safety). Don't really care about cosmetic damages. Spending that much money on a car, one wants to have a nice ride and not an odd handling one.
2. I intend to get a PPI before spending 30-40K on an used car. as mentioned above, the history of the car matters.
3. this car is at a Toyota (but not Lexus) dealership.
4. the car is "far" from where I live. I am pretty busy so taking half a day off to see the car is pointless unless I know I want to buy it. Hence I'm doing my homework before traveling.
5. looks like it's a little unreasonable to expect pictures. I think I may ask a body shop to do a PPI also then.
That sounds about right. Get a body shop to do the PPI.
In addition, test drive it extensively. This is a case where you know it was in an accident. There are numerous times when accidents are not picked up by carfax ,etc. Your driving impression matters, first and foremost. Even if it was not in an accident, if you find it drives "funny", you should not be buying it.
Old 01-16-16, 05:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I traded or sold my car, and some called me asking about stuff like that, I'd politely decline. There is no upside to that prior owner at all--I'd think someone is going to start claiming I misrepresented its condition, etc. I don't blame the dealer for balking at that request.
Old 01-16-16, 06:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
If I traded or sold my car, and some called me asking about stuff like that, I'd politely decline. There is no upside to that prior owner at all--I'd think someone is going to start claiming I misrepresented its condition, etc. I don't blame the dealer for balking at that request.
Same here. I'd decline too. It's nothing a previous owner needs to get involved with. I'm sure dealers are well aware of the various reasons that it's not a good idea.
Old 01-16-16, 06:35 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

Thanks again for everyone's inputs. I guess I will find time to go check out the car.