Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where's the '17 LS?? (now that LC has come out)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16 | 08:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
I've heard this too, and I hope it's false.
It would be that its pretty obvious the Tesla, XJ, and Quattroport is what they are after. The LS is going to have a hydrogen option for you can see what the aim is. Is Apple and Google debut electric cars, along with the Model S, Toyota needs to be right there as that will be/could be the future of cars. A V12 S class luxo cruiser would be nice, but that would not serve best for the future.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-13-16 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-13-16 | 11:51 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The ZF 9-speed has had well documented issues stemming from its use of dog clutches and some other internal hardware bits. Much improved as of recent due to hardware changes.

The ZF 8-speed is a much better example of a much smoother transmission. Personally I can't stand the transmission in your LS because of the amount of torque converter slip. I love modern automatics because the torque converter locks up very early.
it is a pretty slippy torque converter lol, but it's oh so smooth. it's only at low speeds though where it does that, it'll go into lock up above like 40. the LS never claimed to be a sports car, for what they were intending it to be I think it's just about perfect.
Old 01-14-16 | 09:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Personally I can't stand the transmission in your LS because of the amount of torque converter slip. I love modern automatics because the torque converter locks up very early.
Can you or someone please explain this?

I've never understood the whole torque converter thing. I assume that's where the gears sort of "lock", to where it's either shift or nothing and no slip (like how cars go in and out of OD and there's kind of a "thud").

Did I just answer my own question? Lol.
Old 01-14-16 | 09:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm glad someone else also thinks that the LS needs to become less sporty. it definitely needs to become faster but more than anything needs to be a soft cruiser with 6-7 gears max and squishy couch cushion seats. i've sat in a new LS and i'd take the seats in my 99 in a heartbeat.
Yeah, I'm definitely with ya here.

The 400 and 430 were class leading, and all they were about was 1000000% luxury. Ever since Lexus veered off its proven path things have changed. The LS is now an also-ran (although still a fabulous car).

Granted, times (and competition) have changed, but still.
Old 01-14-16 | 10:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Can you or someone please explain this?

I've never understood the whole torque converter thing. I assume that's where the gears sort of "lock", to where it's either shift or nothing and no slip (like how cars go in and out of OD and there's kind of a "thud").

Did I just answer my own question? Lol.
not really...

a torque converter is basically just like one fan blowing on another which makes it spin, only instead of fans it's turbines, and instead of air it's transmission fluid. the torque converter itself is attached to the flywheel and as it spins faster fluid is forced to the outside because of centrifugal forces, which causes the other turbine attached to the output to spin. the slipping happens when the outside isn't spinning quite fast enough to displace enough fluid so the output essentially hasn't caught up yet.

this is how autos can idle while in gear, but a modern locking torque converter will have a clutch to lock the input and output together, giving you a direct drive and better efficiency and response. more slipping will be smoother but also slower and less efficient. your sports car doesn't want this, but something intended to be as smooth and luxurious as possible (like the LS) would benefit from this when driving around town. above like 40 though it'll lock up so you're not being inefficient and there's really nothing to be gained from the slipping anymore once you're traveling at a constant speed.
Old 01-14-16 | 11:44 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like Lexus sent their designers to the Porsche school of design. Panamera? Add two doors to the 911. LS? Add two doors to the LC

Looks good though, it's a huge jump over BMW's conservative cookie cutter designs and Mercedes' bulbous cookie cutter designs. I hope they don't sacrifice rear head room for that swoopy roof. I'm a big fan of flowing roof lines, like on the ES and Ford Fusion, but a big luxury car like the LS shouldn't put looks above comfort.

As for seamless transmissions, a planetary gearset like that used on Toyota and Lexus hybrids combines efficiency with no shifting at all. The downside is the weird full-power acceleration behavior where the engine revs high but road speed takes a while to catch up.

Last edited by chromedome; 01-14-16 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-15-16 | 06:55 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

The styling alone of the concept should tell you pure luxury is gone. And I'm excited for Lexus to go in that direction. Lexus now has a distinct identity with challenging designs and its own striking interior layout. It's luxury approached in a way that no other automaker can mimic. That's what makes people crave your product.

Personally, I love the fact that Lexus is carving its own distinct identity while Mercedes has doubled down on its pure luxury theme.
I also think it's great that Lexus is going in this direction. They have stopped following the crowd and living in the present and are developing designs for the future. That is how they will set themselves apart from the competitive crowd. Distinct identity indeed.
Old 01-16-16 | 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
squishy couch cushion seats. i've sat in a new LS and i'd take the seats in my 99 in a heartbeat.
Seats don't have to be soft and squishy to be comfortable or luxurious lol. Out of pretty much everybody currently in this discussion, I've had the most iterations of this car, and the LS has never had overly soft or padded seats. They're just as padded now as they've always been, and one indispensable improvement over the seats in the LS400 is the addition of the extendable thigh cushions. I never thought the seats in my 98 were that great.

The best seats I've ever had in any Lexus were the 18 way power seats in my GS. They were actually quite firm, but the amount of adjustments and the seat comfort was significantly better than any seats I've had.

My preference in order in terms of seat comfort out of what I've had:

13 GS, 04 LS430, 15 LS460, 98 LS400, 03 ES300, 10 ES350
Old 01-17-16 | 02:49 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Yeah, I'm definitely with ya here.

The 400 and 430 were class leading, and all they were about was 1000000% luxury. Ever since Lexus veered off its proven path things have changed. The LS is now an also-ran (although still a fabulous car).

Granted, times (and competition) have changed, but still.
LS of old could have benefited of more direct ride and response just to ground that floaty ride. It doesn't mean that it would have been a sports car. There is something great when you can feel the mass and rigidity of a massive car and at the same time have the ability to control it precisely like on a lightweight econobox car of 90s.

Its a feeling thats hard to describe. Something close to that would be how BMW has made their X5/X6 SUVs to drive like midsize sedans. Basically its the feeling of a large car that drives like a small car.
Old 01-17-16 | 03:36 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

For me, I do hope Lexus does keep the LS as a S-Class competitor, instead of something going against the Panamera or XJ. As for the AM Rapide it is an AM and everyone loves AM.

Time will tell, but with the way the LC looks like the concept, we can expect new LS to look like the 2015 concept. I am looking forward to seeing the fuel technology and a few other things, to be closer to the Model S (tech wise).

I am guessing the main model will be the LS500 (using the same engine found in the RCF, GSF and LC). I just wonder what the specs will be for the hybrid (if they have one) or for the fuel cell version. Plus will the LS L only be for the hybrid or fuel cell version?

I am just surprised no one posted pictures of the interiors of possible competitors:

S Class

A8

7-Series

XJ

Rapide

Panamera

Model S

Something completely different...

Mulsanne

Last edited by JessePS; 01-17-16 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-17-16 | 04:35 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Wasn't the LC concept from 2012?

It just seems unrealistic to go from a 2015 concept to production in that short of a time frame, but who knows? It takes a lot of time to go from concept, design, testing, material and parts specifications, retooling, training workers, reprogramming production robots then production. I'm not saying it is impossible, especially if that concept has been around, outside of the public's view, for a lot longer.

I personally think (and hope) they will remain in the S-Class genre. It might make more sense for them to release two flagship sedans (so to speak), a normal, albeit probably longer but traditional four-door sedan and a somewhat related 2+2 four-door coupe. That would be my personal preference. Every top-tier manufacturer has gone this route, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, so maybe Lexus is next and that concept we see is not really the new LS, but the new LS 2+2 four-door coupe that will be released a few years after the 2017 LS. For all we know, the LS might actually remain fairly benign.

Yeah, I sat in the Audi and they do make nice interiors, but frankly it can be overwhelming. I felt like I was in a cockpit of a 747 with all of the lights lit up. Some people like that, but I didn't. However, the one thing that these other manufacturers have and Lexus doesn't, at least in my generation of car, is the information that can be displayed in the instrument cluster. Audi wins this hands down vs my 2016 LS, which is frankly, still using 2007 technology. Of course, the Audi I sat in was almost a half a decade newer in generational release dates (2012 and on) vs my Lexus. Just being able to see radio stations and other information in the instrument cluster was really nice versus digging through it on the main 12 inch center screen. Here's to hoping Lexus does the same (if not more) with the current generations starting to trickle out.
Old 01-17-16 | 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shambler

I personally think (and hope) they will remain in the S-Class genre. It might make more sense for them to release two flagship sedans (so to speak), a normal, albeit probably longer but traditional four-door sedan and a somewhat related 2+2
I think you have it spot on. Perhaps two flagships sedans maybe in the cards. I am wondering if the next gen will take the jump in price point and put it more in line with the SClass and 7series which both start at quite a bit more in MSRP. Sclass in V12 config can get past $200k so it would be interesting to see how far the LS can go.

One thing for sure will be a hydrogen powered LS.

My bet is one LS model that targets the Tesla Model S.
Old 01-17-16 | 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even if the LS is aimed at a more dynamic stance and look doesn't mean it doesn't compete with the S Class. All of these cars compete with each other even though their approaches to the segment are a little bit different.

FYI, the XJ isn't really sporty or dynamic at all even though it looks that way. Its a very traditional good riding car.
Old 01-17-16 | 10:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
FYI, the XJ isn't really sporty or dynamic at all even though it looks that way. Its a very traditional good riding car.
Disagree honestly. I found the XJ to be noticeably firmer than the others when it comes to the supercharged and R models. The R model was especially firm and really handled beautifully.
Old 01-17-16 | 11:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Disagree honestly. I found the XJ to be noticeably firmer than the others when it comes to the supercharged and R models. The R model was especially firm and really handled beautifully.
I just drove them all back to back before I bought my LS. I found the XJ to ride even a little bit softer than the LS. Sure different sport trims are firmer, thats true of all these cars including the LS.

Bearing in mind that I have not driven the new 7 Series, the firmest most dynamic car in this segment is the A8.

Quick Reply: Where's the '17 LS?? (now that LC has come out)