Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where's the '17 LS?? (now that LC has come out)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Disagree honestly. I found the XJ to be noticeably firmer than the others when it comes to the supercharged and R models. The R model was especially firm and really handled beautifully.
Simply observing the performance numbers of the new 7 Series, S-class, and the XJ R, its hard to imagine any of the three listed above will have a softer sprung ride than the LS460 or LS460 f sport. The LS 0-60, HP, and skidpad numbers are nowhere close to the newer models mentioned above, the next gen LS should have significantly improved performance specs which will require a firmer suspension. Thr hallmark of the LS is a softer, smoother, cloud like ride, so you can have it both ways.
Old 01-17-16, 01:11 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I just drove them all back to back before I bought my LS. I found the XJ to ride even a little bit softer than the LS. Sure different sport trims are firmer, thats true of all these cars including the LS.

Bearing in mind that I have not driven the new 7 Series, the firmest most dynamic car in this segment is the A8.
You should drive an XJR to see what I'm talking about. It's way firmer than anything else I've driven in that class. Magazine reviews have said the same thing. To your point though I've never driven a base XJ.
Old 01-17-16, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You should drive an XJR to see what I'm talking about. It's way firmer than anything else I've driven in that class. Magazine reviews have said the same thing. To your point though I've never driven a base XJ.
Oh for sure, but that doesn't change the fact that the base XJ and XJL are very ride biased cars.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Simply observing the performance numbers of the new 7 Series, S-class, and the XJ R, its hard to imagine any of the three listed above will have a softer sprung ride than the LS460 or LS460 f sport. The LS 0-60, HP, and skidpad numbers are nowhere close to the newer models mentioned above, the next gen LS should have significantly improved performance specs which will require a firmer suspension. Thr hallmark of the LS is a softer, smoother, cloud like ride, so you can have it both ways.
Instead of trying to guess how they ride based on magazine numbers you could always go drive them all like I have.

The answer to the suspension question is technology. Read reviews of the S550, there are reviews that discuss its ride compared to the LS and they give the nod to the S550, yet it still also has better handling performance numbers. Why? Technology. Modern computer controlled and air suspensions give you a great ride without having to sacrifice handling and vice versa. My GS was this way, the AVS allowed it to ride quite well (surprisingly well) yet handle quite well too.

With these modern suspensions you CAN have it both ways. The LS is just old and doesn't have these technologies. The new LS will.

Another part of delivering a great ride and also excellent handling is a very stiff chassis. The newer cars have a much stiffer chassis than the LS also.
Old 01-17-16, 03:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
With these modern suspensions you CAN have it both ways. The LS is just old and doesn't have these technologies. The new LS will.
The LS has an AVS option, and the air suspension has a Comfort, Normal, and Sport+ setting all which work well. I wouldn't say the LS lacks technology, but rather that the chassis predates 2007 and does not have the finesse and agility of its peers. To be fair the 2013 updates saw improvements to the structure for more rigidity with laser screw welding techniques and its still a superb choice, but falling further from the limelight. If the LC500 and LF-FC are any indication of the LS having an exotic silhouette reminiscent of a Quattroporte or Rapide, and a handling prowess instilled by the LFA and projects after, the 5th generation LS could perhaps shake up the segment yet again

Old 01-17-16, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The LS has an AVS option, and the air suspension has a Comfort, Normal, and Sport+ setting all which work well. I wouldn't say the LS lacks technology, but rather that the chassis predates 2007 and does not have the finesse and agility of its peers. To be fair the 2013 updates saw improvements to the structure for more rigidity with laser screw welding techniques and its still a superb choice, but falling further from the limelight. If the LC500 and LF-FC are any indication of the LS having an exotic silhouette reminiscent of a Quattroporte or Rapide, and a handling prowess instilled by the LFA and projects after, the 5th generation LS could perhaps shake up the segment yet again
The next gen chassis should match the handling skidpad numbers of the current 7 series and S class. The LS is maxed out around .82 and was around .80 when it was compared to the Eqqus in 2011. BMW, S-class, S class are in the .88 - .90 range while the Telsa S is at .91. I would fully expect the LS to match these number. And 0-60 times of sub 4.5 sec will likely be the benchmark.
Old 01-17-16, 04:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
not really...

a torque converter is basically just like one fan blowing on another which makes it spin, only instead of fans it's turbines, and instead of air it's transmission fluid. the torque converter itself is attached to the flywheel and as it spins faster fluid is forced to the outside because of centrifugal forces, which causes the other turbine attached to the output to spin. the slipping happens when the outside isn't spinning quite fast enough to displace enough fluid so the output essentially hasn't caught up yet.

this is how autos can idle while in gear, but a modern locking torque converter will have a clutch to lock the input and output together, giving you a direct drive and better efficiency and response. more slipping will be smoother but also slower and less efficient. your sports car doesn't want this, but something intended to be as smooth and luxurious as possible (like the LS) would benefit from this when driving around town. above like 40 though it'll lock up so you're not being inefficient and there's really nothing to be gained from the slipping anymore once you're traveling at a constant speed.
Ahh, I see.

Can you explain how I could feel slippage, and/or be able to tell if an automatic has a slippy torque converter?
Old 01-17-16, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

The LS has ab AVS feature in its air suspension, but its not as dynamic as the AVS feature you find in say the GS because of the limitations of the system and the car's chassis