Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New UK Top Gear -- off to a not-so-good start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default New UK Top Gear -- off to a not-so-good start

The new UK Top Gear is coming but I don't know if it's starting out well

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/18/top-ge...-gear-5628926/

Seriously, I always think it has to be a car guy hosting the show

Top Gear host Chris Evans ‘suffers from car sickness’ whilst filming Top Gear

Top Gear presenter Chris Evans was seemingly taken ill whilst filming scenes for the long awaited comeback of the motoring show – after suffering from car sickness whilst a passenger in a fast car!

Doesn’t bode very well!

Pictures show the host doubled over at the side of an Audi R8 V10 and The Sun reports that he was retching after apparently finding the speed of the vehicle a little too much.
It had been driven on a track in Monterey, California by his co-host Sabine Schmitz, who was forced to stop and allow Evans to step out of the car.

The show has already been at the centre of reports, which were denied, that the new presenter, who took over from sacked Jeremy Clarkson, struggled to talk while driving – we can imagine this is made even harder when you’re on the verge of vomiting.
A source said: ‘It would be unfair to expect him to be perfect right from the word go. But how can someone who gets car sick possibly host Top Gear?’

A spokesperson for Top Gear declined to comment when approached by Metro.co.uk.
The revamped series is expected to return later this year and will be in competition with Clarkson’s Amazon Prime show. At the moment, Evans’ predecessor may not be TOO worried…

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com...kson-laugh.gif
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...quits-BBC.html

New crisis for Top Gear as boss in charge of getting Chris Evans's revamped version on screen quits BBC

Kim Shillinglaw has been criticised for 'meddling' in new Top Gear series
47-year-old mother had admitted she was 'terrified' at Evans taking lead
Her post will be closed with Charlotte Moore taking new wider TV role
She has admitted: 'When you don’t get the big job it’s time to move on'

The boss behind the reinvention of the new Top Gear series featuring Chris Evans has quit her role as controller of BBC Two and BBC Four, it was revealed today.
Kim Shillinglaw, 47, is leaving and her post will be closed, with Charlotte Moore - who was behind the commissioning of The Great British Bake Off - becoming the new controller of BBC TV and iPlayer.
There had been claims that married mother-of-two Miss Shillinglaw had been ‘meddling’ in the new series featuring Evans, after she had previously admitted she was 'terrified' at him taking the lead.

(read more in link)
Old 01-19-16, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A source said: ‘It would be unfair to expect him to be perfect right from the word go.
I agree with that part of it, at least. When I first started taking flight lessons, I myself had a tendency to get queasy in turbulent or high-G conditions. Most of it (not all) went away with time, and I ended up a pretty good pilot, with several safety-awards.
Old 01-19-16, 01:47 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Guessing this was at Laguna Seca?

To be fair, I have felt carsick when a passenger in a fast car on the track being driven by people who aren't good at driving. Then again, Sabine Schmitz is a pro...
Old 01-19-16, 02:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar

To be fair, I have felt carsick when a passenger in a fast car on the track being driven by people who aren't good at driving. Then again, Sabine Schmitz is a pro...

One thing that contributes to that, under conditions of stress and fear, is called hyperventilating....breathing much faster then normal, and more than the usual amount of oxygen building up in the body.
Old 01-19-16, 03:12 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing that contributes to that, under conditions of stress and fear, is called hyperventilating....breathing much faster then normal, and more than the usual amount of oxygen building up in the body.
True ! I dont know what kind of experience this guy has, but I have met many people that doesn´t have a clue about how hard you can drive a car, especially a car like the R8 or similar. I can imagine thats about the same with airplanes, there is a difference between turbulence and turbulence just like it is at sea with different kind of waves.
Old 01-19-16, 04:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar

lol i think that's a very different scenario
Old 01-19-16, 09:48 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It's just never going to be the same..
Old 01-20-16, 04:28 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like James or Jeremy never got sick during a ride. They're known as pro-driving athletes :P
Please!
Old 01-20-16, 07:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm very curious as to how the format of the show will be like. I loved the old top gear because the hosts were willing to get down and dirty into the nitty gritty of making the show. If I just wanted to see a few "blokes" drive around a track or do everyday comparisons, I'll watch Fifth Gear or Motorweek. Those shows lack entertainment value. Will Chris Evans and Sabina (or whatever her name is) ever go to some desert or jungle in the middle of nowhere and break things and fix things and etc? Will they go on challenges or adventures? I'll probably watch the 1st season and see how it turns out. Top Gear US was dreadful the first season or two but it got better as they take on more adventures and competitions with each other and removed that awkward interview segment of celebrity in slow cars or whatevers.
Old 01-20-16, 08:39 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

It will be very hard IMO to recreate that rapport that Jeremy, James, and Richard had. Their personalities combined perfectly for humor and entertainment value. Combined with bizarre challenges and exciting trips, that will be a difficult standard to meet.

Meanwhile I'll hang onto my Amazon Prime subscription so I can watch their new show.
Old 01-20-16, 10:45 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

pretty sure jeremy "throws up" at the end of this lol... the media, like ever, just needs to chill a bit

i've also read that chris harris will be the third presenter. i definitely enjoy his work, but these three will never be clarkson, hammond, and may. i don't think it would be a great idea to try and make the show in the exact same format and expect it to be just as successful. i've seen all these new hosts in the past, and none of them are as entertaining as either of the first three. of course imma watch it, but i'd be lying if i said i don't wanna see it fail to some degree lol... honestly i'm happy the old top gear ended, it was getting too scripted and dictated by the producers rather than presenters.
Old 01-20-16, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Chris Harris is the primary presenter, not the third presenter.

I'm interested to see what they do. I think its a mistake for them to be running all these compilation shows, "The Best of Jeremy", "The Races" etc. James May said something about it in an interview too, why would they draw attention to the old format of the show when Jeremy, Richard and James are going to have a new show...its like free advertising for them and undermines the new show. I think he's right.
Old 01-20-16, 10:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh lord, our captain America gets carsick :/
Old 01-21-16, 07:18 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I think there will be too many egos for the show to succeed or for the chemistry to build but we shall see.
Old 01-21-16, 09:11 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Ohh lord, our captain America gets carsick :/
Wrong Chris Evans

Quick Reply: New UK Top Gear -- off to a not-so-good start