Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 75K Question - What "toy" car would you buy new or used?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 01:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default The 75K Question - What "toy" car would you buy new or used?

I'm looking into an RC F and it would be my prized possession, stored in winter and used as a weekend car during the warmer months.

Performance is not as important as rarity/styling, refinement, decent ride comfort, and some luxury/panache, but a sweet engine note is a must! Having a back seat would be a plus for possibly a rare road trip with wife and two kids. Finally, reliability is important as I would keep it as long as possible.

Based on the above, would you go for the RC F? Or what other new or used cars in this price range would you consider?
Old 01-21-16, 01:48 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

I vote for saving money until next year and getting the LC
Old 01-21-16, 03:11 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

You're asking for a lot out of a car, especially at 75k! Not many cars offer anything near the combination of features that you're looking for. Especially reliability - that doesn't usually go hand in hand with something rarer.

If you are willing to care less about reliability and the backseat, my first thought was a used Aston Martin. You can easily get an older DB9 with not that many miles on it for under 75k. I get the feeling that the backseat is even less usable than the one in the RC F though. If you get rid of the backseat completely, you open up a variety of V8 Vantage variants.

For something with a backseat, a used Maserati Quattroporte could fit the bill, too.
Old 01-21-16, 03:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm looking into an RC F and it would be my prized possession, stored in winter and used as a weekend car during the warmer months.

Performance is not as important as rarity/styling, refinement, decent ride comfort, and some luxury/panache, but a sweet engine note is a must! Having a back seat would be a plus for possibly a rare road trip with wife and two kids. Finally, reliability is important as I would keep it as long as possible.

Based on the above, would you go for the RC F? Or what other new or used cars in this price range would you consider?
What about a Camaro? V8.

Any car used under your non winter, weekend only use will be reliable long term.
Old 01-21-16, 04:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Screw a Camaro, dude has $75,000 Go buy a new Corvette, 75k will get you a really nicely optioned one.

You could also get a new BMW M3 or M4. Personally I like the last gen model better. I know it isn't as fast, but that V8 revs to the moon and sounds awesome. New ones are twin turbo inline six and really fast, but the exhaust note leaves much to be desired.

You could also buy a used 911 or a new Cayman or Boxster for 75k. I'd go for the 911 personally though. Maintenance costs with the German cars is going to be very high though if you plan to keep it for several years.

Slightly used Nissan GT-R is in your price range as well. Personally I'm not a fan of it, too much computer control, but I will say its an awesome machine.

Used NSX or Toyota Supra are also in your price range, plus you can set aside the extra $25-50k you saved for something else
Old 01-21-16, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Or what other new or used cars in this price range would you consider?
Might want to check out a new Infiniti QX70 5.6. Consumer Reports gives it at least an average reliability rating, it has a pretty-good-size 5.6L V8, it's very nice inside, and it has an AWD option if you want it.

(The QX70 5.6 is the alphabet-soup renaming of the old M56)
Old 01-21-16, 06:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Might want to check out a new Infiniti QX70 5.6. Consumer Reports gives it at least an average reliability rating, it has a pretty-good-size 5.6L V8, it's very nice inside, and it has an AWD option if you want it.

(The QX70 5.6 is the alphabet-soup renaming of the old M56)
You're thinking of the Q70. The QX70 is what used to be the FX crossover.

Neither is the sort of car he's looking for IMHO.

If you love the RC-F, get that. The key to buying a toy car is to buy something you really love, that speaks to you in some way.

What would I buy as a fun toy for $75k? I don't think it would be an RC-F, probably some sort of convertible...
Old 01-21-16, 06:06 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

a few recent fun cars ive driven was a 2012 GTR and a covette ZR1. both with brutal acceleration. crazy how cheap you can get a vette zr1 now from their 120+ price tag.
Old 01-21-16, 06:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

$75K for a weekend only toy?

Id take a lightly used GT-R over a new RC F any day...faster, will retain more value if left stock too.

If backseat isnt mandatory,
New C7 Z51 or used C7 Z06 over the RC F as well.
Old 01-21-16, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You're thinking of the Q70. The QX70 is what used to be the FX crossover.
Thanks...yeah, a typo on my part. Happens now and then.

Yes, I meant the Q70. I'm usually pretty good with alphabet-soup, but I haven't got totally used to Infiniti's naming system yet...just in time for another naming-change LOL.

Neither is the sort of car he's looking for IMHO.
Well, I mentioned it primarily because it has a decent (or at least usable) back seat...he said he wanted a back seat large enough for a family trips with kids in the back. You won't find much of a back seat in an RC.
Old 01-22-16, 12:56 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
a few recent fun cars ive driven was a 2012 GTR and a covette ZR1. both with brutal acceleration. crazy how cheap you can get a vette zr1 now from their 120+ price tag.
To be fair, ZR-1's were being offered at 12-15k under MSRP by dealers by about two years after initial release. One of my driving buddies when i was in Texas said he picked up his second for 20k under. So the depreciation is somewhat less than what it appears from MSRP.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What would I buy as a fun toy for $75k? I don't think it would be an RC-F, probably some sort of convertible...
For me personally, it'd be a 987 Cayman Black Series or a 997.2 GTS. Neither satisfies OP's first criteria of rarity/styling though.

The other car I scratched immediately was the Evora S, which can be bought new in the OP's price range (and I have to imagine discounts are even deeper now that the newer 400 is out). But it lacks refinement and luxury and the back seats are useless.

Last edited by gengar; 01-22-16 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 12:58 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jaguar F-Type would be my choice. It's beautiful. Sounds amazing. Given that it will see only occasional use as a weekend car, it should hold up well. And unlike the RC-F you have the option for a manual.
Old 01-22-16, 03:33 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dodge Charger Hellcat.

It may not be refined (actually it's not that bad as I drove 2015 SRT and it was actually surprisingly comfortable), but who cares when you have 707 HP stuffed into a large sedan!

Or buy a late-model used LS 460 F-Sport and trick it out! I love my LS. Amazing car and surprisingly fast for being such a boat, but a comfortable one at that.

Both are rare. But if owned a Lexus already, I would choose the Hellcat!
Old 01-22-16, 05:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for the input! The Big 3 muscle cars don't appeal to me, just not enough panache and refinement.

The M4 (and RS5) are obvious considerations, but my wife finds BMWs and Audis (styling) boring LOL and I tend to agree.

GTR is too raw for me. Not enough "GT" refinement.

Supra/NSX nice but incredibly difficult to find a decent one in Canada, modded or not. If the next Supra was coming out within the next 9 months, I'd wait for it but I believe it's at least 2 years out.

At this time, short-listing it to, in no particular order:
RC F
Vette
F-Type
Cayman

Guys, great suggestions, keep em coming if you think of any more.
Old 01-22-16, 05:34 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Definitely F-type. Drop-dead gorgeous, cuts a nice compromise between Grand Tourer and purebred sports car, and has hands down one of the most ridiculously awesome exhaust tones of any car ever made. Well optioned V6 S convertibles (380hp supercharged V6) run into the low 90s MSRP, so I think you'd be able to get a VERY lightly used one with very low miles for $75k or less. There's a heavily-optioned 2015 V6 S convertible in my area that's never been titled listed for $77k.

For a similarly optioned V8 S (550hp supercharged V8), MSRP comes to just under $110k, so you'd probably have to go just a bit older/more miles to hit your target price. I see a few 2014s for $68k-73k with under 10k miles.

Last edited by geko29; 01-22-16 at 05:40 AM.

Quick Reply: The 75K Question - What "toy" car would you buy new or used?