Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the new "Top Gear"

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 07:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^And I still maintain that Clarkson is an arrogant ****. But then again that's part of his charm and whole schtick, personally I find him hilarious.

Would I want to work for him, HELL NO.
Well then, it doesn't matter about ethics, standards and some sense of a moral center. I vote Justin Beiber, Selena Gomez and... uhh maybe Taylor Swift to do the next big automotive show and put their own personal stamp on it. Why not?
Old 01-26-16, 10:40 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Leno's put on a decent show with several episodes of "Jay Leno's Garage" under his belt. He's not completely comfortable with some of his guests - primarily auto executives who are more bean-counter than car guys. When they start to stumble of his technical questions he does his best to bail them out, but it's clear that his producers are putting on some guests more as a political sop to the industry than actual informative guests.

Still Jay's a knowledgeable car collector with many years' experience and still able to conduct an interview and handle guests - they just need a little more screening for those who freeze up under the lights. Particularly fun are his fellow celebs who are deep into the automotive hobby themselves. People like Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen, and a handful of others are still great showmen as well as serious car guys.

Could "Jay Leno's Garage" replace "Top Gear"? No, TG was a brand of its own, driven by dry British wit and a set of personalities that always seemed to enjoy poking at one another. It was often silly, bordering on stupidity, but there was always a sense of fun about it that kept you watching. Sure some of the commentary from Jeremy could often be taken as mean-spirited, but the fact that he consistently made a fool of himself kinda took the edge off.

There isn't going to be an "American Version" - although it was tried and proved to be an embarrassment to not only the genere but even to the nation itself. I'm sure that Jeremy, James, and Richard are now off somewhere counting their millions and laughing at BBC's stuffy government servants. There's a good time involved and I imagine it includes cars.
Old 01-26-16, 11:42 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Yeah the American version is just about unwatchable. Only guy I like on there is the Rutledge, mainly because he's embraces that nerd/geekyness of the car hobby.

I can't help but think how awesome Top Gear USA would've been if they had Leno and Tim Allen as hosts. Although they wanted to do the show on the cheap, and couldn't afford any big names like that.
Old 01-26-16, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I gotta admit...hearing this stuff makes me a little happy lol.

What I love about Clarkson is that he isn't PC. People are too PC, take themselves too seriously. He pokes plenty of fun at middle aged fat white guys too but nobody notices that.

My issue with the BBC Is that the show was never live. They edited it, and they left this "controversial" stuff in. Then when it blows up they blame Clarkson, all the while continuing to leave it in and blame him after the fact, and after they have profited.

Basically, that makes them a bunch of cowards. They want to profit from the envelope being pushed, but are unwilling to stand up to the negative reactions that brings with it.
Old 01-26-16, 09:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I'm sure that Jeremy, James, and Richard are now off somewhere counting their millions and laughing at BBC's stuffy government servants.
They were hired by amazon for a new show coming at some point.
Old 01-26-16, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

About leno, never happening for the british show.
Old 01-27-16, 05:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

What I love about Clarkson is that he isn't PC. People are too PC, take themselves too seriously. He pokes plenty of fun at middle aged fat white guys too but nobody notices that.
Leno is not particularly PC either, although he doesn't stray as far Clarkson did.
Old 01-27-16, 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
About leno, never happening for the british show.
Well, with today's auto industry being global as it is, perhaps the show should consider expanding a little beyond its tea-and-crumpets background.
Old 01-27-16, 06:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Leno is not particularly PC either, although he doesn't stray as far Clarkson did.
Leno is pretty PC, vanilla, safe. I don't particularly care for him.
Old 01-27-16, 07:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Leno is pretty PC, vanilla, safe. I don't particularly care for him.
I watched some of his shows on CNBC. Not my cup of tea. It doesn't seem to fit his eager to please personality.
Old 01-27-16, 07:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I watched some of his shows on CNBC. Not my cup of tea. It doesn't seem to fit his eager to please personality.
Yeah I thought they'd be good too, but they don't do it for me either.
Old 01-27-16, 08:31 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Leno's good for a car show. But not for Top Gear. Top Gear is really a show of its own. It's never really worked in any iteration that didn't involve Clarkson, Hammond, and May.
Old 01-27-16, 08:55 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

I gotta admit...hearing this stuff makes me a little happy lol.

My issue with the BBC Is that the show was never live. They edited it, and they left this "controversial" stuff in. Then when it blows up they blame Clarkson, all the while continuing to leave it in and blame him after the fact, and after they have profited.

Basically, that makes them a bunch of cowards. They want to profit from the envelope being pushed, but are unwilling to stand up to the negative reactions that brings with it.
it's the sad truth. i've heard jerry seinfeld say that himself and other comedians are shying away from performing at college campuses because the inevitable "ummmm... you can't say that!!" is never far away. it's really a damn shame.

and that's totally true about the BBC, they could've totally edited out many of the more "racy" remarks but they know that it's better television to leave it in, and then clarkson gets blamed. like the whole slope controversy, which to be honest i had to look up what slope meant. but once i did it became a very funny line. i mean i've never even heard of someone calling an asian a "slope," but of course some girl (who i don't think was even asian) has to get all hysterical and demand consequences.
Old 01-27-16, 09:08 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it's the sad truth. i've heard jerry seinfeld say that himself and other comedians are shying away from performing at college campuses because the inevitable "ummmm... you can't say that!!" is never far away. it's really a damn shame.

and that's totally true about the BBC, they could've totally edited out many of the more "racy" remarks but they know that it's better television to leave it in, and then clarkson gets blamed. like the whole slope controversy, which to be honest i had to look up what slope meant. but once i did it became a very funny line. i mean i've never even heard of someone calling an asian a "slope," but of course some girl (who i don't think was even asian) has to get all hysterical and demand consequences.
Go watch Gran Torinio with Clint Eastwood. Learned all my proper Asian ethnic slurs from that movie lol
Old 01-27-16, 05:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course guys. It's all in good fun. Nobody needs to say that an entertainment show should be shut down or restricted. But there are always limits to good taste and ethics.

The consumer of this content should always be informed. Clarkson is now a mid-fifties guy who knows how to spin a word or two. And he has some great co-stars. But they are showing their British Empire roots aren't they?

And why the hubris towards the rest of the world? Just for spectacle? Clownish mugging? Sure.

The facts tend to show something else. A globalized car industry. Much to the Brits dismay Tata Motors (India) is the owner of Jaguar. I bet that bites Clarkson and Co. big time. Yet he wants to talk about India like some sort of backwater? India is nuclear power btw.

The British have pretty much thrown away their automobile industry. Shouting loudly about the rest of the world is a sort of passive/aggressive posturing and sadly clowning is the new conversation.

How about people who think "slope" is some sort of joke? Hopefully all the Lexus owners here can say to Akio Toyoda face to face, "hey you know I learned a new racist term on Clublexus.com, about you and your people... you guys are slopes!"

Heaven forbid what "slope" designed the 2005 Ford Mustang retro model. Yes a Vietnamese refugee to the US.

It's pretty certain that the new Clarkson, Mays, Hammond show will be a winner but to listen to a bunch of priviledged yahoos on a Lexus forum of all places talk about PC Trump nonsense? Sad.

And those who refer to a New York Jewish multimillionaire who made an ocean of money on Seinfield? That's who your moral compass is? He's rich and that's about it.

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/09/pc_i..._college_kids/

Last edited by MattyG; 01-27-16 at 05:41 PM. Reason: grammer

Quick Reply: the new "Top Gear"