Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The ES, at one time, DID have better interior materials.....along with more solid doors, better sound insulation, higher-profile tires, and a smoother ride. Remember the superb 4Gen version? That was back in the days before we saw the cost-cutting on the 5 and 6Gen models.
I know, I owned one! My only issue with that car was a few glaring missing features, such as a power tilt/telesoping wheel, and it was probably the ugliest car I ever owned. Great car...but ugly.
Old 02-08-16, 03:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
Right, and the two text book way to go for new customer is to segment (again) or to change your appeal. It seems lexus is doing both, the CT and NX, and partially RCF, are segments it did not play in while the new design language is trying to get out of their old image.

While I dont think they are bold / aggressive enough, it is a very safe and text book way to go about things. Not rocking the boat, dont want to acquire 1 new customers they never had before but lose a customer that they've had for the past 10 years etc.
So you think the new front ends are not aggressive enough? I think they are. Compared to BMW, MB, and Audi, Lexus is not the frontrunner for front ends IMO. MB is still the best.
Old 02-08-16, 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The ES, at one time, DID have better interior materials.....along with more solid doors, better sound insulation, higher-profile tires, and a smoother ride. Remember the superb 4Gen version? That was back in the days before we saw the cost-cutting on the 5 and 6Gen models.

Most Lexus and Toyotas lost some of the softer materials from the past. No big deal as most are happy with them. Some are even sitting on fake leather so I doubt it matters. The current ES350 is the most appealing ES ever, IMO, but I can't say the remote touch is that great, as its lakikg a touchscreen combo.
Old 02-08-16, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If Toyota can make the Lexus ES350/Toyota Avalon coexist, I'm sure a Lexus MV350 (I named it lol) minivan will work. Lexus has a lot of female buyers so I'm sure they would sell. Perhaps make the Lexus a Hybrid model while leave the Sienna a gas model, even though I do not recommend hybrids.
I think you underestimate the number of women that dislike minivans, or swear they "would never drive a minivan". I'm a big proponent of the minivan, having one has really shown me how wonderful a family vehicle they are, and having had an SUV and a minivan with kids I see the benefits of the minivan. When I hear friends and such contemplating SUVs I always point out my experience with the Minivan and suggest they seriously consider one. You'd be surprised how many men I know who say they would love to have a minivan in the house, but their wives refuse to even consider one.

A minivan purchase is also still largely a family purchase, and largely a family vehicle is still chosen by the husband. A person, man or woman, doesn't just go out and "buy a minivan" theres a family process that occurs there. Like I said, its a purchase made out of practicality not out of passion. A 3 row crossover however is a different thing.
Old 02-08-16, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I know, I owned one!

it was probably the ugliest car I ever owned. Great car...but ugly.
Yeah, the headlights were awkward-looking....but I thought the rest of the car was pretty handsome.
Old 02-08-16, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You'd be surprised how many men I know who say they would love to have a minivan in the house, but their wives refuse to even consider one.
I won't claim to speak for others, but I suspect that what is actually happening in some of those cases is that they are simply using their wives as an excuse (even if the wife never said that), that they have bought into the stigma and stereotypes from the auto press about minivans, and they are afraid that their sports buddies at the office will rib or tease them around the water-cooler. So, true or not, the "wife didn't want it" alibi becomes the excuse.

Can I prove that? No. Do I strongly suspect it? You bet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, the headlights were awkward-looking....but I thought the rest of the car was pretty handsome.
Eh, it has a high greenhouse, sloping hood and trunklid thing going on, most attractive angle is the rear, or the rear quarter.

Great interior though. Not that there wasn't cost cutting, because there was and you expect that at that price point but it was well hidden.
Old 02-08-16, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Eh, it has a high greenhouse, sloping hood and trunklid thing going on, most attractive angle is the rear, or the rear quarter, with the lights off, at night, in a garage, and the car is black.

i keed...
Old 02-08-16, 04:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't claim to speak for others, but I suspect that what is actually happening in some of those cases is that they are simply using their wives as an excuse (even if the wife never said that), that they have bought into the stigma and stereotypes from the auto press about minivans, and they are afraid that their sports buddies at the office will rib or tease them around the water-cooler. So, true or not, the "wife didn't want it" alibi becomes the excuse.

Can I prove that? No. Do I strongly suspect it? You bet.
Nope, there are plenty of statistics, and verbatim comments from couples focus groups, etc, recently, that women are the bigger pushback on purchasing a minivan for the family.

So SW15 is spot on with this, hugely practical and functional. A lot of the younger women just don't want to be driving the vehicle that their own mothers drove.
Old 02-08-16, 04:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

If Toyota can make the Lexus ES350/Toyota Avalon coexist, I'm sure a Lexus MV350 (I named it lol) minivan will work. Lexus has a lot of female buyers so I'm sure they would sell. Perhaps make the Lexus a Hybrid model while leave the Sienna a gas model, even though I do not recommend hybrids.
they want RX and 3 row version of RX from Lexus, not a Sienna.

As I mentioned several times before, within 2 years, we will have at least 2 more SUVs from Lexus... no space for minivans. SUVs sell well everywhere, minivans barely sell and plus you need different sizes in USA and Japan where they do sell.
Old 02-08-16, 04:31 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

But thats just it...they do. If you'd driven something like a 4GS with AVS you would see that the new platforms while being sharper and more dynamic are still very complient and quiet.

For instance, you lowered your LS, but bigger rims on it and removed parts of the exhaust to make it what? Firmer, louder, better looking, sportier. Thats in direct conflict with your desire for them to go back to making cars like your LS400 when you in turn made modifications to your LS400 to make it more like the newer cars.

I would bet money that my 2013 GS with AVS rode better and was quieter than your LS400 with those modifications...I'm certain my LS460 is.

Technology is getting to the point where you can have both.
i'm aware of this, yes i wanted the car to look cooler, and mainly just give it a little something to distinguish it somewhat. you'd be surprised how smooth it still is though. only over bumps and bad roads do you notice a difference really. and a bit more engine noise does nothing to change the ride quality, i wanted to hear it a bit more. all i'm saying is that comfort should be the priority, then handling. i'm not one of the original LS 400 buyers so i was willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort to achieve the aesthetics i was after, but it's still a soft body rolling cruiser. the changes were purely aesthetic, i didn't expect these springs to turn it into a miata. i will say that with the 245/45-18 430 wheels it does feel more planted in a higher speed corner, but that's just a side effect.
Old 02-08-16, 06:32 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you think the new front ends are not aggressive enough? I think they are. Compared to BMW, MB, and Audi, Lexus is not the frontrunner for front ends IMO. MB is still the best.
lol no I meant they are not entering the market quite aggressive enough, the front ends are more than aggressive enough for me. I do like the IS from afar, big head turner.

All their market entry products are too sensible, playing it safe, launching it while knowing that in the back of their minds that while they might not blow current leaders out of the market, the product will sell and its better than taking a leap and fail.

The CT, NX, RC are (in my opinion) the prime examples of this. When Lexus first launched the LS they did not say "lets make something almost as good as the S class, but sensible enough that some people who thought they are getting ripped off will get the LS", they launched a car that was pretty much in every conceivable way better than the competition.

The CT (not sure what it is), is not as hot as a hot hatch, its not very practical, it is literally a good looking upper market prius. NX did not blow the x3 out of the water, RC is same etc.
Old 02-08-16, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nope, there are plenty of statistics, and verbatim comments from couples focus groups, etc, recently, that women are the bigger pushback on purchasing a minivan for the family.
Well, yes....and that is part of what I was saying. Perhaps my post was unclear.....or you misunderstood part of it. I don't think we really disagree. Wives will indeed have their say, but sometimes the husband will use that as a reason for not get something he thinks his friends and co-workers will rib him for.

So SW15 is spot on with this, hugely practical and functional. A lot of the younger women just don't want to be driving the vehicle that their own mothers drove.
And sometimes that depends on how many kids those younger women have.
Old 02-08-16, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

None of the people I'm talking about were hiding their own dislike for minivans. It's been told to me point blank from the women themselves.

Plenty of women don't want minivans. They're out of style.
Old 02-08-16, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Plenty of women don't want minivans. They're out of style.
Is utility, space efficiency, and plenty of seats inside out of style? You and your wife seem to like your Sedona. I realize some women may be tired of minivans, but seems like your wife isn't.

And, as far as style goes, minivans have never been about style, but about moving people efficiently. In fact, the Nissan Quest lost a lot of sales when it stated going after style and image more than simple design and space-efficiency.

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2016