Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Nissan Armada

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 04:58 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I kind of like it. Nissan should of just called it a Patrol, why keep the Armada name.

What will be interesting is will the aftermarket off road crowd go after this. there is going to be a cloth seats bare bone model. Perhaps we will see a return of a cloth seats Land Cruiser if this Armada does well.
I really like it too . They kept armada name so that dumb Americans buy it with the name they are used to. Average American won't give Patrol any respect just like the LC barely gets any respect from the average person

Then again I have had two Nissan patrols before. Now I am in an LX

Is the bare bones armada confirmed? Price ? If I got one I would just rebadge it Patrol
Old 02-11-16, 05:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I really like it too . They kept armada name so that dumb Americans buy it with the name they are used to. Average American won't give Patrol any respect just like the LC barely gets any respect from the average person

Then again I have had two Nissan patrols before. Now I am in an LX

Is the bare bones armada confirmed? Price ? If I got one I would just rebadge it Patrol
Bare bones in that it has cloth (w heat), no sunrooff etc etc.
Old 02-11-16, 08:56 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

^ high 50s?
Old 02-11-16, 09:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
^ high 50s?

Nah, a base model Armada will be way less than that. The big Infiniti QX80 starts at $63,000, which is a tremendous value IMO.

Look for it to be well under 50k, which is what a basic Tahoe costs.

This also shows you how ridiculously overpriced the Land Cruiser(and LX IMO) have become. There is no good reason why the Land Cruiser should cost $83,000 IMO.
Old 02-11-16, 09:44 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

That's wil be a great price and would fit my needs

As I said previously we had two Patrols and on our third land cruiser (albeit this one is an LX)

since we can't get the basic LC in the USA, yes we do pay quite a high price

That said, imho LC/LX is not overpriced. Our two previous ones went 500k with no issues. One of the best and most overbuild platforms with 25 year essential service lives in the world

My friends think my watches and shoes are overpriced as well , but there is a price for something quality well built to last

Just my 0.02 Turkish lira
Old 02-13-16, 12:57 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Give me this over a QX Infiniti, reminds me of when Escalade came out as an exact replica of the Denali in 1999.
Old 02-13-16, 10:14 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I still prefer the exterior design of the previous gen
Old 02-13-16, 11:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hold on a second. Nissan had the guts to do what? Cancel a slow selling vehicle that was sold for 13 model years. Toyota Sequoia made it at least two separate generations while it coexisted in the USA with another Toyota BOF vehicle all at the same time.

The current Sequoia is in its 9th model year, (it skipped a year) and its not like the Tacoma, LS, previous Avalon didn't go 10 years without a significant redesign. This is just what the current climate is like right now.

With that said, I fully expect the Sequoia and Land Cruiser to be consolidated into one platform.
What is there not to get?? Nissan is showing a pretty strong commitment to full size trucks and large SUVs. They are launching a fully new version of the Armada nameplate (yes it's been around a while in other markets and in the U.S. as an Infiniti). They realized that the current Armada was old and they're able to take advantage of the current demands in the market for these large vehicles.

Toyota is showing no commitment to the Sequoia, they don't even want to update the interior with the bits of the new Tundra.
Old 02-14-16, 01:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
What is there not to get?? Nissan is showing a pretty strong commitment to full size trucks and large SUVs. They are launching a fully new version of the Armada nameplate (yes it's been around a while in other markets and in the U.S. as an Infiniti). They realized that the current Armada was old and they're able to take advantage of the current demands in the market for these large vehicles.

Toyota is showing no commitment to the Sequoia, they don't even want to update the interior with the bits of the new Tundra.
Nissan is not doing much. They are cancelling a platform that made it one generation. Now they are re-badging a 6 year old model and they are going to bring it to America. Toyota is still selling to separate BOF models under the Toyota nameplate, the Sequoia is on the second gen so I'm not sure what you are trying to get at.

What does commitment to full size trucks have to do with anything?
Old 02-15-16, 10:18 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Nissan is not doing much. They are cancelling a platform that made it one generation. Now they are re-badging a 6 year old model and they are going to bring it to America. Toyota is still selling to separate BOF models under the Toyota nameplate, the Sequoia is on the second gen so I'm not sure what you are trying to get at.

What does commitment to full size trucks have to do with anything?
GM, Ford, and Dodge spend a ton of $$$$ on R&D on their full size trucks. It shows, because they have completely outclassed Toyota and Nissan in this segment.

Its kind of crazy how nice full size trucks are now days, even lower trim lines. Also crazy is the amount of power and the fuel economy these things get compared to 10-15 years ago.
Old 02-15-16, 10:37 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've always liked the Armada great value in my opinion.
Old 02-15-16, 01:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
GM, Ford, and Dodge spend a ton of $$$$ on R&D on their full size trucks. It shows, because they have completely outclassed Toyota and Nissan in this segment.
It's a little more complicated that just that. Any of the big three half ton trucks or full size SUVs will all be able to do the same thing if you compare them to each other under the same configurations. Where the big three dominate is that they sell in such higher volumes that it makes it virtually impossible to compete in the overall market.

Toyota tried really hard with the 07 Tundra for a home run. I would say they failed miserably. They tried to compete with three engines, tow rear ends, two trannys, multiple cab/lengths and a marketing budget that was just huge. I think they were the first to offer more than 400lbs per feet of tq in a gas model. They won MT Truck of the year, they promoted towimg a hauling a crew to the job site. They even promoted some wacky idea that most Toyota dealers could not fit the truck in their service bay.

Looking back now, Toyota built a 400k capacity across two plants. It all had to be redone and reworked.

Sadly, the Tundra never lived up to the high Toyota expectations. The 2013 exterior/interior refresh is what Toyota should of released in 2007.

I would consider the Tundra a failure.
Old 02-20-16, 10:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The traditional off road battleground in the ‘Large SUV’ segment (which has now morphed into ‘Upper Large SUV’ believe it or not), has for decades now boiled down to a two-way stoush between the Toyota LandCruiser and Nissan Patrol. It’s been quite some time though since Nissan fans have been able to enter that stoush on even terms.

You won’t question our logic then in taking entry level 2016 Nissan Patrol into battle against an entry level 2016 Toyota LandCruiser 200-Series. What you might question is why the LandCruiser tested here has a diesel engine when the Patrol doesn’t. The reality, or at least the way we see reality, is this. If you truly want to engage in remote area off-road touring or long distance towing, your ideal choice will be a diesel-powered 4WD.
Old 02-20-16, 11:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Why is this comparo video in this thread? North America does not get either of these configurations and both are diesels and one of them has a locking differential. And one of them is not called an Armada.
Old 02-20-16, 12:45 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Why is this comparo video in this thread? North America does not get either of these configurations and both are diesels and one of them has a locking differential. And one of them is not called an Armada.
Still hammers home my point about the Land Cruiser being way overpriced, both in Australia and the US. In that video the Land Cruiser was several thousand dollars more than the Patrol, and was a complete stripper model vs the Patrol which was very well equipped.

Quick Reply: 2017 Nissan Armada