Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What small SUV to buy? I have a headache

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16 | 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you tend to paint with a broad brush in summarizing the entire back history of any model, including the grand cherokee. but things can and do change quickly from year to year, even month to month. in the '14 gc they put the ZF designed 8 speed auto in and that had some software issues initially, for sure. by the time i got one (a '15, a year ago) the issues were resolved. my grand cherokee has had a sum total of ZERO issues in 14K mi of enjoyable driving. i've only gone to the dealer twice, for free oil changes and a free tire rotation. it's a great luxury vehicle!
Yeah, it's nice to get those free oil changes. I had them on my car for the first three years.

On the reliability/broad-brush issues, unlike you and Steve, I have not actually owned a JGC, and don't have personal experience with one outside of a couple of test-drives and reviews. I basically go by what I have read in Consumer Reports, heard Pat Goss say about them on his weekly radio and TV shows, and read from owners in forums.

(Pat Goss, BTW, is Motorweek's Head Technician, and a colleague of John Davis on the show. Besides his weekly auto-talk shows, he also owns and operates an independent repair shop here in suburban Maryland).
Old 02-19-16 | 08:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking for the following:

-Small SUV that fits nicely into the garage
-Small SUV that has decent power and handles well
-Small SUV that rides decently without too much road noise (NX F Sport seems to have some complaints re: ride quality)
-Small SUV with dealer service to back it up (this is where Lexus, Infiniti and Audi come in)
-Small SUV with some luxury touches and a great sound system
-Luggage and hauling room. Back seat passenger room is not as important since it only has to be better than our S5 and G37. Just an extra door would work. I travel all the time and my luggage just barely fits into the trunk of my S5. Every Saturday we take my mother to lunch and everyone has to do acrobatics to fit into my S5.

I know, there is nothing that necessarily fits all the requirements but I will do some test drives and make a decision.

Not sure how large the Jaguar X-Pace is, but I'm looking at that as well.

Last edited by dseag2; 02-19-16 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-19-16 | 08:24 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

recap...

so you want a 'workhorse' not north of $50k that is about as long as your g37 converible.

from all that, if it's a work horse, i believe you should get a loaded touring cx5. great vehicle nicely refreshed for '16. the rdx would likely be smoother and quieter and for '16 it had a major refresh also. you can get led headlights and all the goodies. edmunds review:
http://www.edmunds.com/acura/rdx/2016/review/

i suspect you won't want these as it sounds like you want a more 'prestigious brand'.

the 'small' cuvs though will NOT 'comfortably' seat 4 unless the rear seat occupants are smaller children or the adults are short, and won't 'haul' much, being more like tall hatchbacks.

if you want to spend more, get a macan.

and i don't think you should rule out bmw x1 or mb glc, etc. without at least driving them.
Nice recap!
Old 02-19-16 | 08:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
For that $35k to 50k price bracket, I'd still go with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lot more room than everything else you're looking at, interior is no bs genuinely nice, lots of technology, great off road, can tow a big load. My main thing is the Grand Cherokee has a certain rugged, masculine vibe and style about it, something I can't say of the jacked up station wagons that populate most of this segment. I know its a good bit bigger, but I googled the size, its 6" longer than your old Infiniti convertible, hopefully it would fit in the garage.

I just do not get the appeal of these little tiny SUV's like the NX, X1, Q3, etc. Not enough room and you're paying a heady premium for the badge IMO. Cars like the Mazda CX-5, Rav4, CR-V, etc give you a lot more room. I just feel like you're way over-paying for the amount of room you get in those entry level luxury SUV's.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is my favorite SUV on the market right now. I will check it out. I was just more concerned about going from the level of service I receive from Infiniti and Audi to Jeep's service level. But if it's reliable, I guess service won't be an issue. I've read the SRT's have had issues, but the V6's seem to be okay?
Old 02-19-16 | 08:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Jeep service is a huge step down from what you're used to. That was one of my main complaints. Quality varies from dealer to dealer, but no loaner cars, etc. The vehicle is so nice though it's worth it IMHO
Old 02-19-16 | 10:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is my favorite SUV on the market right now. I will check it out. I was just more concerned about going from the level of service I receive from Infiniti and Audi to Jeep's service level. But if it's reliable, I guess service won't be an issue. I've read the SRT's have had issues, but the V6's seem to be okay?
Eh, do your own oil changes. You'll get good at it by the 2nd or 3rd time and have it done it less than 30 minutes. Super easy on a Jeep, no need to jack it up to reach the oil drain plug. The less time I can deal with asshats at the dealer the better. Can't stand going to any of them, always overcharge you, my indy mechanic is WAY cheaper on the labor rate and is always very upfront about what sort of parts he's using or he's happy to install the OEM parts I give him.

Seriously though, maybe google the good dealers in your area for service if you do buy a Jeep.
Old 02-20-16 | 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Eh, do your own oil changes. You'll get good at it by the 2nd or 3rd time and have it done it less than 30 minutes. Super easy on a Jeep, no need to jack it up to reach the oil drain plug.
Do you reset the computer (if applicable) when you do the oil changes? Many vehicles today keep track of estimated oil-life in the crankcase by the way the vehicle is driven. The system has to be reset at every oil change.....it's not just a matter of draining and refilling any more.
Old 02-20-16 | 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Resetting those computers is very simple...
Old 02-20-16 | 11:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i have bought a fumitomo quick valve (replacement plug) for my jeep once i'm done with the free oil changes. i've never seen a simpler oil filter replacement either - there's a round plastic cap you turn and remove on the top of the engine and the filter is right there.

even i should be able to change the oil and filter in 10 minutes except for extra time to let as much as possible drain out into my pan.
Old 02-20-16 | 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've read the SRT's have had issues, but the V6's seem to be okay?
yes, some of the srt's have had issues with suspension leaks or transmission, etc., but again, seems to be non-issue today compared to early ones. i actually test drove one of those after i got my v6 one on a wild thought that i might trade up, but decided not to after sanity returned.

but man, the srt is seriously fast and sounds great.

yes i have the v6. it's perfectly fine and not slow. if you pull the shift lever to go from D to S there's a definite nice increase in responsiveness as it allows gears to go to higher rpms. normally i drive in D and Eco mode though which is still plenty responsive enough.
Old 02-20-16 | 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i have bought a fumitomo quick valve (replacement plug) for my jeep once i'm done with the free oil changes. i've never seen a simpler oil filter replacement either - there's a round plastic cap you turn and remove on the top of the engine and the filter is right there.

even i should be able to change the oil and filter in 10 minutes except for extra time to let as much as possible drain out into my pan.
You probably already know this, but make sure the engine is warm when you drain it. In general, the warmer the engine, the more completely the old oil flows out, and the less dirt and sediment will be left in the bottom of the oil pan.
Old 02-20-16 | 05:01 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The filter idea is from the BMW. My 2005 e46 is the same.
Old 02-20-16 | 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I basically go by what I have read in Consumer Reports, heard Pat Goss say about them on his weekly radio and TV shows, and read from owners in forums.
right, and you know what i think of those two sources.

(Pat Goss, BTW, is Motorweek's Head Technician, and a colleague of John Davis on the show. Besides his weekly auto-talk shows, he also owns and operates an independent repair shop here in suburban Maryland).
the person who wastes time on a tv show explaining to people how to do things they will never do, requiring tools and other stuff people will never own... motorweek should kindly ask him to retire.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You probably already know this, but make sure the engine is warm when you drain it.
thanks but i expect anyone who changes their own oil knows it.
Old 02-20-16 | 09:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
The filter idea is from the BMW. My 2005 e46 is the same.
nice! didn't know that. could also be a benz thing too, i don't know? reason i say that is of course mb used to own chrysler/jeep and the jgc platform is apparently a derivative of the ml.
Old 02-21-16 | 07:20 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

nice! didn't know that. could also be a benz thing too, i don't know? reason i say that is of course mb used to own chrysler/jeep and the jgc platform is apparently a derivative of the ml.
My 3.5L MB engine does not have it easy like the BMW.

This is how it is done on the BMW.

Quick Reply: What small SUV to buy? I have a headache