Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What small SUV to buy? I have a headache

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
right, and you know what i think of those two sources.

the person who wastes time on a tv show explaining to people how to do things they will never do, requiring tools and other stuff people will never own... motorweek should kindly ask him to retire.

thanks but i expect anyone who changes their own oil knows it.
Well, I don't entirely disagree with you about Goss. While he is excellent with electrical and computer-related issues, he does seem to go overboard on basic service....sometimes WAY overboard. He recommends not only changing but flushing all of the fluids (transmission, power-steering, brake, coolant) every 2 years/24 months. You won't find that in many owners' manuals. Plus on the engine oil, he still sticks with the 3 month/3000 mile rule.....something that, with modern oils, really hasn't been needed for a number of years. If one followed all of his recommendations, sure, the drivetrain would stay like new (assuming the flushes were done correctly and competently)......but they would spend a fortune doing so. And, of course, he owns a repair shop.
Old 02-21-16, 05:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Non-lux, but still semi lux execution, Kia Sorento Limited
The top level of this car has a lot of features for the money, and is probably the smallest of the "mid sized" CUVs.
Old 02-25-17, 12:52 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

no way your getting a porsche macan for under 60k loaded at my local dealer...cheapest I saw on lot was 68k sticker...cheapest

I just bought a 2017 lexus nx fsport and I find the turbo quite nice in sport mode...the economy or normal mode are kinda blah...wife loves the car and size...stereo has a sub in tailgate...sounds pretty good if you adjust bass/midbass/treble. I hate the infotainment software/nav system ease of use. but we dont really use it either.

lexus rx will be over 50k loaded too, and is quite longer than nx which could affect opening the tailgate inside a garage.

MB is really comfy but is 58k
the smallest mb I couldnt fit in. Im 6'3

audi q5 has comfy seats and lot of features like pano roof and can be gotten under 45k loaded

Porsche was my favorite but way over my budget
MB was 2nd, but too big for wife, great for me tho
lexus nx fsport was best for wife and under budget. I fit fine, lots of headroom, legroom and fold down rear seats recline/fold down almost flat. can open tailgate in garage with door closed
Old 02-25-17, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torii
I just bought a 2017 lexus nx fsport and I find the turbo quite nice in sport mode...the economy or normal mode are kinda blah...wife loves the car and size...stereo has a sub in tailgate...sounds pretty good if you adjust bass/midbass/treble. I hate the infotainment software/nav system ease of use. but we dont really use it either.
Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 02-26-17, 08:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
no way your getting a porsche macan for under 60k loaded at my local dealer...cheapest I saw on lot was 68k sticker...cheapest

lexus rx will be over 50k loaded too, and is quite longer than nx which could affect opening the tailgate inside a garage.

MB is really comfy but is 58k
the smallest mb I couldnt fit in. Im 6'3

audi q5 has comfy seats and lot of features like pano roof and can be gotten under 45k loaded

Porsche was my favorite but way over my budget
MB was 2nd, but too big for wife, great for me tho
lexus nx fsport was best for wife and under budget. I fit fine, lots of headroom, legroom and fold down rear seats recline/fold down almost flat. can open tailgate in garage with door closed
So what was the OTD price of your NX?
Old 02-26-17, 10:14 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So what was the OTD price of your NX?
38k otd 39k taxes, etc...sticker was high 45k awd...i traded in old 06 lexus 250 with 125+k miles and they said based off vin sight unseen, 8k for it and I said done. that car wasnt worth 8k, and i figured thats like haggling 4k and trade in 4k.. I think the lexus dealership in my town likes me a bit, cause some dont get any deals from them.
Old 02-27-17, 03:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have bought a fumitomo quick valve (replacement plug) for my jeep once i'm done with the free oil changes. i've never seen a simpler oil filter replacement either - there's a round plastic cap you turn and remove on the top of the engine and the filter is right there.
I've gone one step past that and picked up an oil extractor. Since my E90's filter (like the E46 before it) is right on top of the engine, this means I don't even have to get down on the ground. In theory I could change my oil in a suit if I wanted to (of course that would require me to have worn a suit in the past decade. ). Takes a few extra minutes vs. draining, but you don't have to be present for most of it.
Old 02-27-17, 02:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ One nice thing about draining it out the bottom IMO is you get to look around under the car. Look for leaks, check suspension bushings, etc, etc, etc. I caught a slight coolant leak on my old truck when doing the oil change one time, water pump seal was leaking out the bottom, but not enough to form a pool on the ground. Could not figure out for the life of me why I had to add coolant every 2-3k miles as it wasn't obvious where it was leaking from, I thought it might have been the head gasket.
Old 02-27-17, 08:19 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Jeep service is a huge step down from what you're used to. That was one of my main complaints. Quality varies from dealer to dealer, but no loaner cars, etc. The vehicle is so nice though it's worth it IMHO
After over a year of hearing how great the Jeep Cherokee is from you CL guys and seeing them at an auto show, I went on the Jeep website to build one and noticed even the higher level trim models lease out at very reasonable prices. I will be test driving one soon. My only issue with Jeep is that they offer so many different trim levels just finding the right one is an arduous task. Summit, Limited, Overland, Grand Cherokee, Anniversary edition. I like how most manufactures offer basically 3 trim levels, but hey... it gives you more choices. But then, I hate going to places like Subway or Ghengis Grill where I have to build my own meals. :-)
Old 02-27-17, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
After over a year of hearing how great the Jeep Cherokee is from you CL guys and seeing them at an auto show,
Don't confuse the Cherokee with the Grand Cherokee, though. The Cherokee is nice.......the Grand Cherokee is NICE. But Steve has a point.....in most cases, Jeep reliability or dealer-service is not going to be anywhere near Lexus levels, though, of course, each individual vehicle and dealership can vary somewhat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-27-17 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I would only consider an Overland or above. I had both a lower trim and an Overland, and the Overland adds a lot to the vehicle, great leather, wood trim, leather dash and doors. The Summit is nicer still, suede headliner and the exterior trim changes are nice. The extended leather package on the summit is AWESOME.
Old 02-27-17, 09:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

dseag2, as mmarshall implied, jeep cherokee and jeep grand cherokee are two different vehicles.
Old 02-28-17, 05:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think he means the Grand Cherokee. Lots of people call it "a Cherokee"
Old 02-28-17, 03:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think he means the Grand Cherokee. Lots of people call it "a Cherokee"
25 years later I still think its a dumb naming scheme on Jeep's part. Two different models with almost the same name creates confusion.
Old 02-28-17, 04:31 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

why not the RX?
Originally Posted by dseag2
When our lease is up on our G37 Vert we are planning on leasing a small SUV. We will trade our S5 Coupe for an S5 Cabriolet so we can still enjoy our top-down driving on nice, sunny days, but we need something that can fit 4 people comfortably and haul stuff. I'm seriously considering the following and just get more confused as I read the reviews:
  • Lexus NX 200t
  • Acura RDX
  • Lincoln MKC
  • Infiniti QX50
  • Audi Q5
  • Maybe Infiniti QX30?

Anything I am missing? Want something relatively small that will take the place of our G37 Vert in the garage. Also, don't want to spend considerably more than $50k. Any input is welcome.

Quick Reply: What small SUV to buy? I have a headache