Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brand new Benz goes up in flames, owners reaction is hilarious

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 09:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Have any ferrari/lambo exotic owners ever acted like this?
Old 02-22-16, 11:50 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I have been. The guy totally overreacted.
Ohh yes! I remember
Old 02-22-16, 11:58 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I think that chick needs to find a more manly boyfriend..

imagine if he was in a real emergency situation, real life or death.. not 100 yards from his car as it burned.
Old 02-22-16, 01:43 PM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you ever yourself been in that position yourself? It's easy to make fun of someone else, even if their reaction seems silly to us, if one has not been in those shoes.
I have but not to the point where my car went up in flames. Again the situation sucks, but his reaction was a bit overboard.
Old 02-22-16, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Ohh yes! I remember
Yup, hard to forget!

As a matter of fact I recall one of my neighbors commenting on how calm I was. I mean...what are you gonna do? lol
Old 02-22-16, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have been.
Well, yes, that's right...I had forgotten that your Sedona had a little bout a few months ago. But, from what I remember, it was just mainly some exterior front-end and trim components, and not a total fire like this guy had. And, if I remember, it was caused by some leaves catching fire, (from an arsonist, right?) not a (probable) production defect like with that guy's Mercedes.
Old 02-22-16, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, yes, that's right...I had forgotten that your Sedona had a little bout a few months ago. But, from what I remember, it just mainly some exterior front-end and trim components, and not a total fire like this guy had.
Yeah but when you walk outside and see the front end of your car on fire...its a shock and an experience most posters won't have had. I've also stood in front of a townhouse totally ablaze 5 doors down from my own house after having been awoken by 13 fire trucks at 3:00 in the morning. I remember walking out the front door and looking right to see a fireball shoot out of the attic off the end unit TH. I didn't run around and shriek and squeal. Nor did the people who's actual house was on fire. Several of the neighbors went out back to hose down our own roofs to keep the fire from spreading. No shrieking...no squealing.

I can't imagine behaving the way that this guy was in this video lol. You're alive...nobody is hurt...you've backed up like 1/4 mile from the thing...things are just that...things...thats why you have insurance.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-22-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah but when you walk outside and see the front end of your car on fire...its a shock and an experience most posters won't have had. I've also stood in front of a townhouse totally ablaze 5 doors down from my own house after having been awoken by 13 fire trucks at 3:00 in the morning. I remember walking out the front door and looking right to see a fireball shoot out of the attic off the end unit TH. I didn't run around and shriek and squeal. Nor did the people who's actual house was on fire. Several of the neighbors went out back to hose down our own roofs to keep the fire from spreading. No shrieking...no squealing.

I can't imagine behaving the way that this guy was in this video lol. You're alive...nobody is hurt...you've backed up like 1/4 mile from the thing...things are just that...things...thats why you have insurance.
Yep...cars, in most instances, can be replaced. People can't.
Old 02-22-16, 04:19 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Yep...cars, in most instances, can be replaced. People can't.
what about with identical twins?
Old 02-22-16, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
what about with identical twins?
My twins aren't identical but I can tell you one is not a replacement for the other
Old 02-22-16, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

My twins aren't identical but I can tell you one is not a replacement for the other
If you remember the older Michelin tire commercials, they would play on the natural love and concern of parents for their children by placing infants on the tires and trying to emphasize Michelin's safety record. They were brilliant ads...and they worked. People are willing to pay the typical premium price that Michelins cost.

Lately, Honda has been picking up on that safety theme by showing kids sleeping peaceably in the back seat of a CR-V during bad weather.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 05:39 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, shrieks notwithstanding, he was smart recording it and publishing it. I'm sure if no recording was made, Mercedes wouldn't be doing a dang thing, but since it got so much publicity, I'm sure they are doing something or will do something, so he gets an A for having the wherewithal to record it, but an F in reaction. This has to be bad publicity and doing everything they can to rectify would be in their interest.

If this happened to me, I would just shake my head in disbelief, say a few cuss words under my breath, then stand there in quiet indignation. If I had a marker and piece of cardboard, I would write a sign saying, "will work for a fire extinguisher," or "brand new German car on fire!"
Old 02-23-16, 12:29 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, gotta give props to him for not filming vertically.
Old 02-24-16, 03:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Have you ever yourself been in that position yourself? It's easy to make fun of someone else, even if their reaction seems silly to us, if one has not been in those shoes.
My car's never been on fire (I've witnessed several, and been in an old Thunderbird when the battery arced against the hood and started a small fire, but none of these were my car), but one did try to kill me several times by pinning the accelerator suddenly. Worked through the problem and moved on, and sold it after the 2nd/3rd time (both of which happened during the same trip).

I also recall a few years ago when I was in a meeting with a guy who had a 1-2 year old 335i convertible. Within a matter of seconds, the sky went from bright blue to pitch black, and rain started coming down in sheets. I went to the door to watch (the rain was quite the spectacle), reminding him that his roof was down. He didn't budge from his seat, calmly saying, "There's no point now, it's already too late". We finished the meeting and he went out to assess the damage after the rain stopped.

Again, neither is this this exact situation, but both are kind of in the same realm. Gabriel overreacted by an order of magnitude.

Last edited by geko29; 02-24-16 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 11:22 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chyeea03
Also, gotta give props to him for not filming vertically.
+1k on that. Whatever his sexual orientation, he did do the right thing as far as filming it goes.

Quick Reply: Brand new Benz goes up in flames, owners reaction is hilarious