Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 8 Series to return in 2020

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 10:17 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that thing looks huge! a coupe of that length reminds me of cars back in the 60s.. i love it lol
Old 06-04-14, 04:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW 8 Series turns 25

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-8...photo-2678404/

Some 260 fans and 120 cars gather in Munich and Dingolfing for an international get-together hosted by the BMW Group to celebrate the anniversary of the exclusive luxury Coupe.

Munich. It was streets ahead of its time at launch and maintains an ageless glow to this day, yet a glance at the calendar reveals the disarming truth: 25 years have passed since the BMW 8 Series was presented to the world at large for the first time. The car's international fan community duly came together last weekend at its Bavarian birthplace to celebrate the anniversary, with events including a spectacular parade of 120 cars at the BMW Group headquarters highlighting their collective adoration of the brand's exclusive luxury Coupe.

The event was a team effort fronted by the BMW 8 Series club 8er.org (The international 8 Series community) and ClubE31 Worldwide Owners Group e.V. with support from the BMW Club International Office. The 260 participants from 20 countries began proceedings with a tour of BMW Plant Dingolfing, where the BMW 8 Series was produced from 1989 through to 1999. The second highlight of the weekend was the gathering of club members and their cars at the BMW Museum and BMW "four-cylinder" head office in Munich for a combined photo shoot. The BMW 8 Series models fanned out in formation according to paintwork shade, creating an imposing image – and an added attraction for visitors to the BMW Museum and adjacent BMW Welt.

ClubE31 Worldwide Owners Group e.V. brings together more than 2,000 owners and fans of the BMW 8 Series from around the world. The club's activities include regular national and international meetings and a lively experience-sharing forum. Here, members can find assistance in procuring replacement parts and expertise to help them with the upkeep and care of their cars. The meeting in Dingolfing and Munich attracted enthusiasts from the USA, Iceland and New Zealand, among other countries. Two club representations from Spain, meanwhile, decided to take their cars on a particularly epic journey to celebrate the BMW 8 Series anniversary, driving them more than 1,800 kilometres (approx. 1,120 miles) and almost 2,500 kilometres (1,550 miles) respectively to Bavaria for the event.

The BMW 8 Series stands out as a landmark model in a BMW Coupe lineage that dates back to the 1930s. A clean-sheet design, the car tagged "E31" by its maker launched its challenge to the world's finest sports coupes with a design oozing avant-garde elegance, arresting performance attributes, an exceptional wealth of innovations and a sprinkling of exclusive luxury. The BMW 850i presented at the 1989 International Motor Show in Frankfurt represented a demonstration of the Munich-based carmaker's development expertise, revealing not only a cutting-edge new design line but also an unparalleled array of technological details making their automotive debuts. The design of the wedge- shaped body – headlined most strikingly by a long, swooping bonnet (housing retractable headlights), smooth lines, the absence of B-pillars and a steeply cut rear end – showcased the dynamics and grace of the new coupe with equal élan.

The BMW 850i, moreover, followed the BMW 750i luxury Sedan introduced two years earlier as the second post-war German car to be powered by a 12-cylinder engine. The 5.0-litre unit developed 220 kW/300 hp and peak torque of 450 Newton metres (332 lb- ft) to propel the 1,790 kg 2+2-seater from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.8 seconds.

Channelling the engine's power to the rear wheels was either a six-speed manual gearbox specially developed for the BMW 850i or a four-speed automatic, while its pioneering integral rear axle with five-link suspension was celebrating its premiere in the luxury Coupe. Automatic Stability Control plus Traction (ASC+T), speed-sensitive power steering and the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) system introduced as an option in spring 1990 were among the other details that helped give the BMW 8 Series its distinctive identity as a driving machine. The motoring press heralded the BMW 850i as a "coupe of velvet and silk" and the "perfect symbiosis of power and comfort". After its first road test in the car, German car magazine "auto, motor und sport" wrote: "BMW has given the 850i all the high-tech weaponry it needs to take top spot." And turning its attentions to the chassis technology of the BMW 8 Series, "Auto Bild" magazine commented: "It needs to be experienced to be believed, preferably through high-speed corners on the motorway: bumps, expansion joints – shocks that are sure to trigger sudden jolts of adrenaline in other cars – leave the 850i driver totally unruffled."

Among the other new features of the BMW 8 Series were the belt system integrated into the seats, an electrically adjustable steering column with memory function, an automatically dimming rear-view mirror, remote-control central locking and a high- performance onboard computer. A multiplex electrical system featured for the first time, with data transfer from several different systems via the same conduit enhancing reliability and reducing weight. Both the front and rear side windows of the luxury Coupe could be fully retracted. And, in another new addition, the front side windows were automatically lowered or raised when the doors were opened or closed, improving sealing and reducing wind noise as a result.

A second version of the 12-cylinder engine was added to the range for model year 1993. With displacement increased to 5.6 litres, the engine imbued the flagship BMW 850 CSi model with 280 kW/381 hp and peak torque of 550 Newton metres (406 lb-ft). The sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) could now be wrapped up in under six seconds. To take into account those elevated performance figures the BMW 850 CSi was also given a new driving dynamics system, including active rear axle kinematics. Here, the rear wheels respond to the car's speed and steering angle by turning in the same direction to optimise directional stability through dynamically taken corners and sudden evasive manoeuvres. The electrohydraulic system in the BMW 8 Series was the precursor to the Integral Active Steering available for today's BMW 7 Series, BMW 6 Series and BMW 5 Series.

With the launch of the BMW 850 CSi, the existing model was rechristened BMW 850 Ci and given myriad detail modifications. Standard equipment now included an airbag each for the driver and front passenger, infrared remote control and folding rear seat backrests. DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) was available as an option and the automatic gearbox was now equipped with adaptive control. Autumn 1994 witnessed a changing of the guard under the bonnet: the BMW 850 Ci was now powered by a 5.4-litre V12 engine with 240 kW/326 hp, which customers could choose to combine with a new five-speed automatic gearbox. The BMW 840 Ci joined the line-up in 1993. Its 4.0-litre V8 produced 210 kW/286 hp, providing an undeniably sporty entry point into the world of BMW luxury Coupes.

In 1995 the BMW 8 Series inspired British artist David Hockney to add his vision to the BMW Art Cars series. The BMW 850 CSi he created symbolised an artistic take on transparency. Hockney added flourishes such as stylised intake manifolds on the bonnet and silhouettes of the driver and steering column on the driver's door, while the artist's dachshund Stanley is painted onto the rear side panel as if he were a passenger in the rear.

A total of 30,621 examples of the BMW 8 Series were produced up to 1999, 24 of which were lavishly hand-built at BMW's Rosslyn plant in South Africa. For tax reasons, assembling the cars there was more cost-efficient than importing the finished articles. More than two thirds of all the BMW 8 Series Coupes produced were 12-cylinder models, and only one in six were fitted with the six-speed manual gearbox. The top-of- the-line BMW 850 CSi accounted for 1,510 of the overall unit figure. The ultra-high- performance model was available exclusively with a manual gearbox, in keeping with its sporting character.

The tour of the Dingolfing plant also allowed the enthusiasts at the BMW 8 Series meeting to catch up with a spectacular prototype of the luxury Coupe. This one-off, high- performance variant of the BMW 8 Series was completed in 1991 and featured an all- new 12-cylinder engine developing around 550 hp, chassis technology tuned precisely to the power unit and specific body features with optimised airflow characteristics and aerodynamics. Co-developed by BMW Motorsport GmbH and BMW Technik GmbH, this super-sports car was employed as a test bed for technology and innovations. Its engine, for example, served as the basis for the V12 unit powering the legendary McLaren F1.

___

So here's to hoping an 8-Series or 9-Series Coupe is reborn to take on the S-Class Coupe and upcoming Lexus LF-LC
Old 06-04-14, 04:09 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Happy birthday E31!
Old 06-04-14, 04:41 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait for the new one!
Old 02-22-16, 06:45 PM
Hoovey689

Default BMW 8 Series to return in 2020

Gran Lusso concept shown

The new 8 Series, tentatively due in 2020, is planned to be a technological flagship with driveline components, multi-material architecture, electrical system and connectivity solutions closely related to those used by the recently introduced sixth-generation 7 Series. It will be built at BMW’s Dingolfing factory in Germany from 2020, according to sources with knowledge of the German car maker’s future production plans.

While shrouded in secrecy, insiders at BMW’s R&D centre in Munich suggest that two differing layouts for the 8 Series have already been put before BMW chairman Harald Krueger, who is personally driving plans to extend the BMW line-up to include additional luxury models.

The first adopts a four-door layout and is described as being “similar in concept to the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé only bigger and nobler in appearance”. An alternative layout calls for a more classic two-door coupé and cabriolet pairing.

A final decision on which direction BMW will take is expected to be officially showcased in a concept of the 8 Series in 2018.

Among the reasons behind Krueger’s push to extend BMW’s reach at the upper end of its line-up is the continued success and profitability of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and its various derivatives in key markets such as the USA and China.

Mercedes-Benz managed to shift more than 125,000 S-class models in 2015. This compares with 36,364 sales of the BMW 7 Series.

With the introduction of the new sixth-generation model, BMW expects 7 Series sales to increase to around 70,000 in 2016, although officials acknowledge it will still trail the Mercedes-Benz S-Class for overall sales this year.

Internal studies carried out by BMW suggest Mercedes-Benz earns up to 30,000 euros on each S-Class model it sells. The difference in worldwide sales volumes means Mercedes-Benz earns up to 1 billion euros more than BMW with the S-Class compared to the 7 Series.

“With the decision to bring back the 8 Series, Krueger is looking at a potentially lucrative revenue stream with high profitability on a per unit basis,” a BMW senior manager revealed to Autocar. It was also suggested that pricing of the new car would distance it from Rolls-Royce models.

Rumours of a return for the 8 Series name stretch back to 2010, but bosses officially denied that any plans to bring back the nameplate existed in 2013, when the German firm unveiled the Pininfarina-designed Gran Lusso concept. The original BMW 8 Series was built from 1989 to 1999 as a two-door coupé.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...es-return-2020
Old 02-22-16, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The last BMW 850 was truly a beautiful car.....IMO one of the best-looking that BMW has ever done. And it wasn't saddled with quirky features like the Bangle Butt, I-Drive, and electronic shifter. Its successor, will, IMO, definitely have its work cut out for it.

Old 02-22-16, 07:53 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

A Sr exec at my old company had an 850

Amazing car

The electronics were from the twilight zone

The door handle was linked to a bunch of other stuff

His dash went dead at least once

As soon as he was no longer able to get an extended, extended warrantee, the car went bye bye
Old 02-22-16, 08:04 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost bought an 850, it was imported here. It broke down on the way to get it inspected and had to be towed. She wasn't pretty, she just looked that way. Boy did she look that way, and I was ready to sign right then and there but the GF insisted on an inspection. Lucky me.
Old 02-22-16, 08:19 PM
Hoovey689

Clearly a new 8-Series would have a V8 option. The real question is would there be a range topping V12. Com'on M8!
Old 02-22-16, 09:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The last BMW 850 was truly a beautiful car.....IMO one of the best-looking that BMW has ever done. And it wasn't saddled with quirky features like the Bangle Butt, I-Drive, and electronic shifter. Its successor, will, IMO, definitely have its work cut out for it.

I loved that 8 series inside and out, I considered getting a used one until I read how problematic they are.

I read that they are going to call this new flagship model the 9 series instead in order to not bring back up memories of the 8 series which was not a good seller and known to be problematic despite its cult like status now.
Old 02-22-16, 09:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They kind of already have brought back the 8 series - in the form of i8. It already looks far more special than this ugly rendering.
Old 02-22-16, 09:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I loved that 8 series inside and out, I considered getting a used one until I read how problematic they are.

I read that they are going to call this new flagship model the 9 series instead in order to not bring back up memories of the 8 series which was not a good seller and known to be problematic despite its cult like status now.
I think the 9 series that you've mentioned is an old rumor of BMW planning an M9. There are a few concept renderings on the internet, but that rumor is a few years old.
Old 02-23-16, 03:22 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

BMW is running out of sausages......

Anyways, I hope the new 8 would be just great as the last one. I was a big fan of the first gen.
Old 02-23-16, 09:07 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
BMW is running out of sausages......

Anyways, I hope the new 8 would be just great as the last one. I was a big fan of the first gen.
A BMW 10-Series, an Audi A10.. I mean they honestly could go to infinity and beyond if they wanted. I think collectively we're all just hoping they stop the madness
Old 02-24-16, 01:34 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

German Mustang

BMW should focus on smaller cars.

Quick Reply: BMW 8 Series to return in 2020