Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2016 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study

Technology Woes Continue to Drive Up Problems: J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study

Lexus Ranks Highest in Vehicle Dependability for Fifth Consecutive Year;
General Motors Receives Eight Segment Awards; Toyota Motor Corporation Receives Six

TROY, Mich.: 24 February 2016 — Problems with technology continue to affect vehicle reliability according to the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS), released today. The number of problems with infotainment, navigation and in-vehicle communication systems—collectively known as audio, communication, entertainment and navigation or ACEN—has increased and now accounts for 20% of all customer-reported problems in the study. ACEN is now the most problematic area on most vehicles and is the cause of the industry’s 3% year-over-year decline in vehicle dependability.

“The increase in technology-related problems has two sources,” Renee Stephens, vice president of U.S. automotive at J.D. Power, noted. “Usability problems that customers reported during their first 90 days of ownership are still bothering them three years later in ever-higher numbers. At the same time, the penetration of these features has increased year over year.”

The problems most often reported by owners are Bluetooth pairing/connectivity and built-in voice recognition systems misinterpreting commands. Navigation system difficult to use and navigation system inaccurate are also among the 10 most frequently reported problems.

Building Trust in Technology

While automakers, suppliers and even the U.S. government are enthusiastically moving toward putting fully autonomous vehicles on the roads, consumers need to have confidence in the technologies currently in vehicles before they will be willing to take their hands off the wheel of self-driving cars.

“If you think about the technology problems from the study in the context of conversations around autonomous vehicles, the industry clearly has more work to do to secure the trust of consumers,” said Stephens. “Right now, if consumers can’t rely on their vehicle to connect to their smartphone, or have faith that their navigation system will route them to their destination, they’re certainly not yet ready to trust that autonomous technology will keep their vehicle out of the ditch.”

Expected reliability remains critical in today’s automotive market. More than 50% of owners cite expected reliability as one of the most influential reasons for choosing a specific make and model.[1] At the same time, concerns about reliability have risen this year as a reason to avoid particular models.

“The decline in reliability coupled with a record number of vehicle recalls and safety-related complaints[2] affect consumer confidence,” said Stephens. “Dependability has a direct impact on purchase decisions and brand loyalty.”

Among owners who experienced no problems with their vehicle, 55% purchased the same brand again. In contrast, only 41% of owners who experienced three or more problems with their vehicle stayed with the same brand for their next purchase. Additionally, only a third of owners who had to replace a component outside of normal wear items said they would definitely repurchase or lease the same brand again.

Highest-Ranked Nameplates and Models

Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for a fifth consecutive year, with a score of 95 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100).

Porsche (97 PP100) follows Lexus in the rankings, moving up from fifth in 2015.
Following Porsche in the rankings are Buick (106 PP100), Toyota (113 PP100) and GMC (120 PP100).

General Motors Company receives eight segment awards and Toyota Motor Corporation six.

GM models receiving an award include the Buick Encore; Buick LaCrosse; Buick Verano; Chevrolet Camaro; Chevrolet Equinox; Chevrolet Malibu; Chevrolet Silverado HD; and GMC Yukon.

Toyota awardees include the Lexus ES; Lexus GS; Lexus GX; Toyota Prius v; Toyota Sienna; and Toyota Tundra.

Others models to receive segment awards are the Fiat 500; Honda Fit; Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class; MINI Cooper; MINI Coupe/Roadster; and Nissan Murano.

Key Study Findings

The overall industry average is 152 PP100 this year, compared with 147 PP100 last year.
Among owners who experienced a Bluetooth pairing/connectivity problem, 53% said the vehicle didn’t find/recognize their mobile phone/device.

Among owners who indicate having experienced a voice recognition problem, 67% say the problem was related to the system not recognizing/misinterpreting verbal commands.
The number of engine/transmission problems decreases to 24 PP100 in 2016 from 26 PP100 in 2015.

Seven of the top 10 problems are design-related. Design-related problems account for 39% of problems reported in the study (60 PP100), a 2-percentage-point increase from 2015.
The 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 33,560 original owners of 2013 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from October through December 2015.

The study, now in its 27th year, examines problems experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of 2013 model-year vehicles. Overall dependability is determined by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The study covers 177 specific problem symptoms grouped into eight major vehicle categories.

Find more detailed information about the 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), visit http://www.jdpower.com/resource/us-v...dability-study
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds
Old 02-24-16, 08:50 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not only did Lexus sell more cars than BMW but more dependable

Old 02-24-16, 10:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Highest ranked midsize premium car was 2013 GS too.
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds

Old 02-25-16, 05:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

It is interesting that Mercedes got rated Worst reliability in CR but it is same as Audi in this JDP Dependability.
Old 02-25-16, 06:02 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Once again they call the Avalon a large car and the ES a compact. Does that mean I'm allowed to park in the compact car spaces?
Old 02-25-16, 06:04 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I find it strange how Ram can be rated so high but Dodge is at the very bottom, with Fiat and Chrysler not much better. That being said, I have not had any major issues with my Ram in the 2+ years I have owned it so fingers crossed it keeps on going strong for another 8 to 10.

Our ISF has been pretty flawless, glad Lexus gets credit where due.
Old 02-25-16, 06:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

again, the best survey money can buy...

also from top to bottom, since it's based on number of problems per 100 cars, tops is 1 problem per car on average and bottom is 2 problems per car on average, but of course the way the chart is made it looks like dodge/ford are awful compared to lexus. yes 2 is twice as much as 1, but 2 problems for any vehicle is not necessarily a crisis, depending on what the problems are, so without details, the whole thing is meaningless.

BUT, it is no surprise that lexus and porsche are on top...
Old 02-25-16, 09:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

So, the Lexus ES is still a Compact Premium Car, where it's been for the past 27 years, despite moving up to mid-size class (same as Lexus GS) according to the EPA. But I see that the Lexus GX and RX can both occupy the Mid-size Premium SUV category.

Originally Posted by Mike728
Once again they call the Avalon a large car and the ES a compact. Does that mean I'm allowed to park in the compact car spaces?
I parked my 2015 ESh in a "For small cars only" spot at the hospital the other day. We got out and my son pointed out the sign, and, admittedly, the nose was extended out a tad further than the car next to me (a spot without the sign). We moved the car to another spot without the sign. Would not want my Lexus ES to be ticketed.
Old 02-25-16, 10:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

They also call the Verano a compact car and not a compact premium car. Something strange with JD Power.

For the ES not to be called a mid size or large car is pretty stunning since its the same car essentially as the Avalon.
Old 02-25-16, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is interesting that Mercedes got rated Worst reliability in CR but it is same as Audi in this JDP Dependability.
JDP and CR don't always see eye-to-eye in their lists. In general, for several reasons, I put more stock in CR's figures.
Old 02-25-16, 11:32 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I park the GS at my office's garage in the compact lift - go for it! lol
Old 02-25-16, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They also call the Verano a compact car and not a compact premium car. Something strange with JD Power.

For the ES not to be called a mid size or large car is pretty stunning since its the same car essentially as the Avalon.
I'm not sure about Canada, Jill (Canada probably has its own standards, just like Europe has its A, B, C, D, etc...for vehicle-size). But, in the U.S., the official determination of vehicle size comes from the EPA, and is based primarily on interior volume, not exterior vehicle-size. That's why the relatively roomy Toyota Prius is EPA-labeled as a mid-size car, even though it is a complact or subcompact on the outsize.

Some of it really doesn't make much sense, as this article will show.............

http://jalopnik.com/everything-thats...las-1660382740
Old 02-25-16, 11:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

there's all kinds of weirdness in their assignment of categories...

the venza is NOT a midsize suv.
Old 02-25-16, 12:12 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably the very first VDS result where all the "premium" marques are at or above industry average... except Land Rover of course.
Old 02-25-16, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's all kinds of weirdness in their assignment of categories...

the venza is NOT a midsize suv.
I wouldn't consider it a true SUV either, but Toyota, like Subaru with its Outback, classed it as a light truck, despite the fact that, like the Outback/Legacy-wagon relationship, the Venza was simply an AWD Camry-platform sedan/wagon on stilts.

Quick Reply: 2016 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study