Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson on Manual Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 07:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Shift-paddles, and their shifting-effect, can vary enormously from one manufacturer to another (or even by vehicles within a manufacturer). In general, it's hard for me to say which are the best I've experienced (there are several candidates), but the worst ones, by far, have to be from Ford (and Lincoln, as they use the ones from the Ford parts-bin). They are awful.......cheap, thin, flat-black plastic, rather wobbly in attachment / operation, and not particularly responsive.
Yeah the domestic Detroit parts bin was not the best inspiration for sporty cars. You have to cater to the audience you have and Ford and Lincoln tried to sell sporty cars but mostly their demographic likes torque and stoplight races with an automatic tranny and the 7-11 Big Gulp resting in the center armrest.. Going around a corner is a problem.

Even Lexus tried this with their 2nd Gen GS and it's buttons. They took it away shortly after that.

The auto-manual works best on VW GTI's (when they don't break down), Porsches (hardly affordable). Yes, as Strooke says, if you have the money, Ferrari will give you a great ride. The F430 has an amazing ability to be wired to your brain. Drive that and you'll be spoiled for a long time about the discussion about any type of auto/manual discussion.
Old 02-28-16, 08:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

paddle shifters or buttons are a waste of time on almost all vehicles except sports cars or other high performance vehicles. my v6 jeep grand cherokee has them and i think they're a waste of time. occasionally i hit one and wonder why the rpms are climbing and then realize i've told the car to not go above 2nd gear. on my car you then hold the paddle to disengage it.

clarkson's views on stick are right on, except if it's a spare fun car like a miata/elise/alfa, etc. where it can be a blast to shift gears even if it's not as smooth, not as efficient, not as fast. i loved shifting my miata when i had it. if i ever got another, i'd probably still get a stick, but i doubt i'll ever get another (other priorities).
Old 02-28-16, 02:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think he has a point on brand new cars. Automatic transmission technology is light years better than it was 10 years ago, heck even 5 years ago for some manufacturers.

Still in an older sporty car, manual is a lot more fun. In an old muscle car(even something as new as a 4th or 5th gen Camaro), I still prefer the automatic in those cars. When you go to the drag strip, its damn near impossible to be consistent enough to win with a manual gearbox. Plus you're less likely to break stuff with an automatic vs a manual on the drag strip.
Old 02-28-16, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
paddle shifters or buttons are a waste of time on almost all vehicles except sports cars or other high performance vehicles. my v6 jeep grand cherokee has them and i think they're a waste of time. occasionally i hit one and wonder why the rpms are climbing and then realize i've told the car to not go above 2nd gear. on my car you then hold the paddle to disengage it.
And for some reason the design of them on the Jeep is really annoying too, I used to hit them all the time. I never hit them by accident on the GS.

Happy the LS doesn't have them.
Old 02-28-16, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
]Happy the LS doesn't have them.
I don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that the F-Sport version does.
Old 02-28-16, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that the F-Sport version does.
It does have them
Old 03-08-16, 09:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Clarkson is into more interesting things these days, sticking to his Brit Yob Culture brand of course. He already rolled a SUV and is busy filming other stuff.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/wa...motor-s/401774
Attached Thumbnails Jeremy Clarkson on Manual Transmissions-clarks.jpg  
Old 03-09-16, 12:53 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Depends on the engineering and design. Some automated manuals (especially the earlier ones from VW and Audi} were smooth as butter. Others, such as some off the later ones from Ford and Dodge, are unrefined, hesitant, or jerky. Most I've tried have been somewhere in between.
Stroock639 is referring to an electrohydraulic manual transmission, which is what was used in the 360. I don't think you're talking about the same thing. I believe the only one VW Group has ever used was the E-Gear / R-Tronic that went in the Gallardo / R8, and it was panned by critics for its jerkiness and difficulty of smooth usage in street driving. Ford / Dodge have never used an electrohydraulic manual transmission AFAIK.
Old 03-09-16, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Stroock639 is referring to an electrohydraulic manual transmission, which is what was used in the 360. I don't think you're talking about the same thing. I believe the only one VW Group has ever used was the E-Gear / R-Tronic that went in the Gallardo / R8, and it was panned by critics for its jerkiness and difficulty of smooth usage in street driving. Ford / Dodge have never used an electrohydraulic manual transmission AFAIK.
I was talking about the regular VW/Audi dual-clutch DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox) / S-Tronic units. That is the transmission they used in their bread-and-butter street cars. The early versions of it, IMO, were the smoothest-operating twin-clutches I've ever sampled....later versions, still smooth but not quite so seamless.
Old 03-09-16, 08:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Default THE CLARKSON REVIEW: 2016 LEXUS GS F (better than M3/M5)

Sit back and let it torque the torque
http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...16-lexus-gs-f/

WHEN THE Lexus you see in the photographs first arrived at my house, I decided I liked it. And when it went away a week later, I liked it even more. Even though it had been annoying.

The engine in the Lexus GS F is not turbocharged. It’s a 5-litre 32-valve double-overhead- camshaft V8. It’s old-school. It’s a roux. And I liked it a very lot. I especially liked the noise.

In the mid-ranges — up to, say, 4500rpm — it sounds baleful and hollow, like a lonely wolf. But if you keep your foot planted in the carpet and go up past 6000rpm, it starts to sound as though it’s angry about being a hollow wolf. It sounds — and this is the highest praise you can lavish on any car — like a Ferrari 458 Italia.

It doesn’t develop as much torque as a BMW M3, but at no point do you ever think: “Hmmm. This is a bit slow.” Because it isn’t. And it isn’t fitted with a speed limiter either , which means that flat out you’ll be knocking on the door of 170mph.
I’ve got to heap praise at this point on the comfort. Yes, this is a stiff car, and, yes, the suspension is firm. But even at slow speeds on Boris’s ploughed roads in London, it’s never harsh or wince-inducing.
And then I fell off my chair again when I found that, while it feels small and nimble like an M3, it’s actually — give or take 5mm — the same length as the 5-series. It’s uncanny. And it’s another tick in the box, because a car that shrinks around you is a good thing.

This is the best Lexus I’ve driven since the LFA, which is also riddled with annoying details, but remains my all-time favourite car.

I wouldn’t blame you at all if you went off and bought a BMW M3 or M5 instead. They’re both tremendous. But don’t assume they’re the best of breed. Because in my book this flawed old-school charmer has them beat.
admins lets keep it in chat for comments and ... chat!
Old 03-09-16, 11:26 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I was talking about the regular VW/Audi dual-clutch DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox) / S-Tronic units. That is the transmission they used in their bread-and-butter street cars. The early versions of it, IMO, were the smoothest-operating twin-clutches I've ever sampled....later versions, still smooth but not quite so seamless.
Exactly, you're not talking about the same thing. What the post you quoted was referring to was the automated single clutch transmission (what is meant by "electrohydraulic manual transmission") - the type used in the 360, F430, E46 M3 SMG, LFA, etc. Not the dual clutch.
Old 03-09-16, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

wow spwolf, i think that needs its own thread here, ok?

awesome praise by clarkson, but nothing to do with manual transmissions.
Old 03-09-16, 07:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

He knocked the Z06 on some quality issues a few years back, but in fact was amazed by its engine/torque/manual transmission and did the typical TG stunt with it on their track. 1:38 is where he puts it in 5th gear from a standing start and then roars all the way to 175 mph in a single gear.

Last edited by MattyG; 03-09-16 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 05:38 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love a manual car for the weekends, but I think my next car will most likely be an automated single or double clutch.

As car performance gets higher, my manual driving skill will never be able to keep up (occasional weekend use is not enough to make me progressively better), and the dual clutch technology has gotten so advance that the transmission and clutch can last the life time of the body or other typically long lasting components.

So not only is the servicing cost lower than a manual, the performance will be better too.
Old 03-10-16, 12:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Exactly, you're not talking about the same thing. What the post you quoted was referring to was the automated single clutch transmission (what is meant by "electrohydraulic manual transmission") - the type used in the 360, F430, E46 M3 SMG, LFA, etc. Not the dual clutch.
Both the single clutch and dual clutch automated manual transmissions are electro-hydraulically operated. (BTW, Toyota offers what it calls a "Multimode" single clutch automated manual transmission on Corollas outside of North America. It uses an existing 5-speed manual with the automatic clutch and shifting operation added to it.)

VW first used a wet clutch DCT but now uses dry clutch transmissions on their mass-market cars. The wet clutch is smoother but less efficient than the dry clutch, since there is some slippage of the oil-bathed clutches.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson on Manual Transmissions