Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dealer with no service bays or garage.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 04:04 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
They don't have the free loan cars nor do they usually have comparable waiting areas. Toyota techs would probably be alright in training to work on an ES, but there are no comperable Toyota models to your GS, nor LS or RC. Toyota service is indeed a cheaper alternative, but there are reasons it is cheaper.
Steve

Yes, they don't have free loaners. They also can't update navi maps on some Lexus models and they can't do any of the warranty work. But besides that, everything else is pretty straight forward. if an independent shop can do it, don't see why it should be any different for Toyota techs.
Old 02-28-16, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Yes, they don't have free loaners. They also can't update navi maps on some Lexus models and they can't do any of the warranty work. But besides that, everything else is pretty straight forward. if an independent shop can do it, don't see why it should be any different for Toyota techs.
And in reality all of these vehicles are very similar, Lexus vehicles are just Toyotas, and a tech is not trained "on a Camry" and "on a 4Runner". They are trained how to diagnose issues, repair issues, install and remove parts. The model itself isn't really a big deal.

For instance the 3.5L V6 in the GS, RX and IS is basically the same 3.5L V6 thats in the Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, on and on, it just is longitudinally mounted and has direct injection. The 4.6L V8 in the LS is basically the same V8 thats in the Tundra and Sequoia, just with direct injection.
Old 02-28-16, 06:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
If it's Erin Mills you refer to, they sent the cars to the Toyota bays while they built another service facility across the street on the other side of the parking lot. They did the full tour during grand opening and can take you on a tour of the service bays if you ask. It's not shared with the Toyota service bays.

Huge monitors in the waiting area also show the bays, so you can see your car being worked on. The viewing angle shift every couple minutes. So you get different perspective.
I have no problem if my Lexus service department sent my ES Hybrid to the Toyota service department down the street. I would have a problem if they sent my ESh to the Honda dealer next door but no problem with the Toyota dealer.
  1. They are all Toyotas after all and if the Toyota technicians can service a Camry Hybrid, I have no doubt that they can also service my ES Hybrid.
  2. Erin Park Lexus grew out of Erin Park Toyota, and for the first few years of its existence, they shared a showroom, service department, etc., until the Lexus dealership moved out to its own building down the street. This is the case with many (if not most) of the older Lexus dealerships in Canada (especially in the Greater Toronto Area, with which I am familiar). Some had the Lexus dealer move out; some had the Toyota dealer move out, usually within a stone's throw of its sister dealership.
  3. Erin Park Lexus is very constrained by the land that the showroom occupies; it could not expand to serve new customers without moving something to a remote location. This is a problem in built-up urban areas. The showroom (and waiting area) is now huge, with room to display at least one vehicle of each model in its lineup.
Old 02-28-16, 07:02 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Sounds odd. I wonder if Lexus Corp is aware of it.

The Lexus dealership I use doesn't have the service center at the same location as the sales center, the service center is a 1.5 miles away.

You can bring the car to the sales center and the valet will take it to the service center, or you can go directly to the service center yourself, which is what I do so nothing is most in communication.
Old 02-28-16, 07:15 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@sulu my post mentioned that they only did this temporarily while they built their new service facility. It's done now and they no longer share service bays with their Toyota service.
Old 02-28-16, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

When I owned my Lexus IS300, I often had minor, non warranty stuff done at a local Toyota shop where I was good friends with the Service Manager. He said because Toytota and Lexus products use essentially the same service-parts (filters, plugs, hoses, oil, fluids, etc.....) ,he could do almost anything to Lexus standards except warranty work, since warranty work requires submitting forms and getting re-paid by the factory, which would only accept the forms from Lexus-specific shops. But Lexus accepted Toyota parts/labor as adequate for ordinary service-standards. And, of course, it's a lot cheaper at Toyota shops....or at least it was back then.
Old 02-28-16, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're the same parts. They come in Toyota boxes.
Old 02-28-16, 07:40 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Exactly!

I personally have not seen a single part that came in a box / package with a Lexus logo stamped on it. Every part is made by Toyota. Lexus I think only makes the accessories.
Old 02-28-16, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Generally, that's true. The only significant difference I can remember seeing was that the Lexus wiper-blade inserts for my IS300 (you could replace the inserts on the IS300 without the whole arm-attachment with it, which you can't do on some cars) seemed to have slicker, smoother silicone-feel rubber and a smoother action than equivalent Toyota blades. The Lexus blades (at least back then.....I'm not sure about now) also came in a Lexus-brand wrapper, not Toyota.
Old 02-28-16, 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure they're the same blades. Last time I bought inserts from Lexus they came in a bag with "TOYOTA GENUINE PARTS" on the label.
Old 02-29-16, 08:01 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
@sulu my post mentioned that they only did this temporarily while they built their new service facility. It's done now and they no longer share service bays with their Toyota service.
I am aware of that. My point was that until a few years ago, the original, early Toronto area Lexus dealers shared space (showroom, service) with their sister Toyota dealerships (as Scion now does). The Toyota and Lexus dealers are now in separate facilities and the Lexus dealerships are expanding now.