Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dealer with no service bays or garage.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 10:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Lexus dealer with no service bays or garage.

Not sure if should or am supposed to report what dealer is not doing this. But, a Lexus dealer close to me also owns the Toyota dealer located on the other side of the Auto park. The Lexus dealer went under a huge renovation where they effectively deleted the service bays, and garage and simply drive the Lexus cars over to the Toyota dealer for the service. The customer has no idea this is happening as the Lexus dealer has the service advisors on the premises. No work is being done on site, and the customer really has no idea that their Lexus is being serviced at the Toyota dealer about a 1/2 mile away.

I would assume the Lexus sevice rates is higher than the Toyota rates.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-16, 02:33 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Toyota service is definitely cheaper, so the customers are being ripped off in this case.
Old 02-28-16, 08:09 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't see a problem with this so long as your car is worked on by Lexus certified technicians. I bought a BMW from a dealer that also sold Mazda. They had common service bays but only certain mechanics worked on BMW's. They did, however, have 2 different hourly rates for the 2 cars.
Steve
Old 02-28-16, 08:10 AM
LexTriton
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible that some of those bays at the Toyota dealership have been allocated to the Lexus dealership? If it's the same techs that were at the Lexus dealership using the same parts they used to while they were housed in the Lexus dealership, I don't necessarily see this as an issue. It would be no different than if the Lexus dealership had its actual service bays at a separate facility ½ down the road.

If the dealership is taking responsibility of the car and the service is still being provided by Lexus techs, while using Genuine Lexus parts, then I don't see this as being a huge issue. I would hope that this dealership's service rates would be a little less than other local Lexus dealerships, just based on the fact that they clearly have less overhead than they would if each dealership had a fully functioning shop.
Old 02-28-16, 08:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If this is a permanent move by the dealership, I'm sure there was corporate buy off and approval on it. If it's just temporary while the Lexus building is being renovated, not a big deal.
Old 02-28-16, 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

genius.
Old 02-28-16, 08:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If it's just temporary while the Lexus building is being renovated, not a big deal.
It's a permanent move. The dealer doubled the size of the showroom.
Old 02-28-16, 09:08 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not sure if should or am supposed to report what dealer is not doing this. But, a Lexus dealer close to me also owns the Toyota dealer located on the other side of the Auto park. The Lexus dealer went under a huge renovation where they effectively deleted the service bays, and garage and simply drive the Lexus cars over to the Toyota dealer for the service. The customer has no idea this is happening as the Lexus dealer has the service advisors on the premises. No work is being done on site, and the customer really has no idea that their Lexus is being serviced at the Toyota dealer about a 1/2 mile away.

I would assume the Lexus sevice rates is higher than the Toyota rates.

Any thoughts?
If it's Erin Mills you refer to, they sent the cars to the Toyota bays while they built another service facility across the street on the other side of the parking lot. They did the full tour during grand opening and can take you on a tour of the service bays if you ask. It's not shared with the Toyota service bays.

Huge monitors in the waiting area also show the bays, so you can see your car being worked on. The viewing angle shift every couple minutes. So you get different perspective.

Last edited by My0gr81; 02-28-16 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-28-16, 10:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Toyota service is definitely cheaper, so the customers are being ripped off in this case.
You are assuming that all of the same technicians work on all the cars. If the Lexus techs all moved to the single service facility, and only work on the Lexus cars, and customers still get their free coffee and cookies and loaners, I'm not seeing the rip off.
Old 02-28-16, 12:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

they just change uniforms when switching between toyota and lexus.
Old 02-28-16, 01:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually that's a brilliant move on the dealership's part to save money. I don't see a problem with it if they still have the same certified Lexus techs using factory parts and they're running a tight ship, ie doing the job right the first time.

Not only do you have one big garage, so less space is taken up by two garages. If business is slow in the Lexus world, I'm sure one of those certified Lexus techs can just as easily change a timing belt on a V6 Camry or do any work on other Toyotas. Of course you might get into some nasty politics if you pay your Lexus guys a different rate than your Toyota guys, or if Lexus guys get a lesser rate when working on a Toyota, etc.
Old 02-28-16, 02:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
If it's Erin Mills you refer to, they sent the cars to the Toyota bays while they built another service facility across the street on the other side of the parking lot. They did the full tour during grand opening and can take you on a tour of the service bays if you ask. It's not shared with the Toyota service bays.

Huge monitors in the waiting area also show the bays, so you can see your car being worked on. The viewing angle shift every couple minutes. So you get different perspective.
A couple of years ago the Audi dealership where we bought one of our cars underwent a big renovation. While the service bays were out of commission cars in for service/repairs went right next door to their Volvo store. It was temporary and then they moved back into the new facility.
Old 02-28-16, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all.

What you pay for in the labor rate has nothing to do with quality of service. There is no seniority or training or accreditation difference between being a Toyota tech and a Lexus tech. What you pay for are the amenities of the dealership, the quality of the service you get from the people you interact with, the loaners, and the other frills. As long as you still get all that...no skin off my nose.

This just goes to show you though, the quality of the actual work done to your car is no better at the dealership than anywhere else. I've said that for years, as have others.
Old 02-28-16, 02:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You are assuming that all of the same technicians work on all the cars. If the Lexus techs all moved to the single service facility, and only work on the Lexus cars, and customers still get their free coffee and cookies and loaners, I'm not seeing the rip off.
I don't see why not? I've taken my Lexus to Toyota dealership for service numerous times. They have the same equipment / tools, database, parts as Lexus techs.
Old 02-28-16, 03:31 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I don't see why not? I've taken my Lexus to Toyota dealership for service numerous times. They have the same equipment / tools, database, parts as Lexus techs.
They don't have the free loan cars nor do they usually have comparable waiting areas. Toyota techs would probably be alright in training to work on an ES, but there are no comperable Toyota models to your GS, nor LS or RC. Toyota service is indeed a cheaper alternative, but there are reasons it is cheaper.
Steve

Quick Reply: Lexus dealer with no service bays or garage.