Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How confident are you that your vehicle is Secure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-16, 07:41 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 870 Likes on 603 Posts
Default How confident are you that your vehicle is Secure?

I purchased a lock picking kit and I could probably get in your standard deadbolt within 1-2 minutes. I install security systems in homes and this comes in handy if a key holder is not available and some new home buyers don't have a key, I bought this kit years ago and all it took was a letterhead with my company name on it.

Obviously things have changed and people are posting YouTube videos along with part numbers on how to accomplish breaking into anything these days. I don't want to post the videos that I've seen on YouTube, but anyone has the capability of getting into your car.

How confident are you with security on your car with break in or theft of the car?
Old 03-05-16, 07:55 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How confident are you that you can pick the lock on a new Lexus?
Old 03-05-16, 08:03 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really care. If someone is determined enough, he'll get it. Though the person who wants to break into my car should be ready for anything including jail time. I'll find him and make sure he's in where he deserve to be in.
Old 03-05-16, 08:32 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah I dont really care too. Its your own fault if you keep anything valuable in your car and in sight. If they really wanted to steal something, they could just break a window and a standard car alarm wouldn't even activate.
Old 03-05-16, 08:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Never really thought about. But, if someone really wants a car or something inside it, a quick smash and grab is faster than picking a lock.

Most car thefts and break ins are about opportunity and given a thief an opportunity is what I worry about when I leave and park it.
Old 03-05-16, 09:21 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I purchased a lock picking kit and I could probably get in your standard deadbolt within 1-2 minutes. I install security systems in homes and this comes in handy if a key holder is not available and some new home buyers don't have a key, I bought this kit years ago and all it took was a letterhead with my company name on it.

Obviously things have changed and people are posting YouTube videos along with part numbers on how to accomplish breaking into anything these days. I don't want to post the videos that I've seen on YouTube, but anyone has the capability of getting into your car.

How confident are you with security on your car with break in or theft of the car?
Well in Canada getting a hold of any of those tools requires a background check so, yeah it won't work north of the border.

The other thing is that newer vehicles are going to be equipped with a lot of anti-theft systems so really that's not the real goal for a car thief.

He wants personal info, and valuables. The thief is better off eavesdropping on your wi-fi than breaking into your car.

In my area there are three residences right across from me with lights in their backyard. Two of them have a collection of dogs (Labs) that run in and out of a doggy door. Any unexpected noise and they will bark their brains out.

Nobody will steal my Lexus. It's too old and it's got the factory anti-theft system with its blinking red light. You smash the window and I'll hear it, or the dogs will howl up a storm.

But you're right to bring up this point in terms of ole school lock/pick thefts of the valuables.
Old 03-05-16, 10:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't leave anything in my car of value. It sits unlocked in my driveway and most places I go. Figured they can open it up and see there is nothing in there rather than smash a window. If I do have something of value, I put it in the trunk.

I know on an old convertible I had, I disabled the trunk release button and never locked the doors. Figured they could try the door rather than slash my top. Only way you could get into the trunk was with a key. And lets face it 99% of crackheads don't know how to pick a lock, if they do try and get in they're going to jack it up with a crowbar. But most of them aren't that determined, and its very easy to get caught. They'll go onto easier pickings before taking a crowbar to your car, unless they're certain there is something good in there, like a contractor with tools in his van or truck.
Old 03-06-16, 05:58 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

99% of people given 15 minutes couldn't find a place to use a lock pick kit on my car, so I'm not concerned in the slightest. If they want something from my wife car, chances are the windows are down, or the doors are unlocked, hell one night she left the car running with the keys in it overnight.
Old 03-06-16, 10:19 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I got the standard T-800 Model 101 inside my vehicle watching out for any funny business...
Old 03-06-16, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm confident no one wants my ancient Lexus which lacks BT-A and BSM
Old 03-06-16, 12:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Never really thought about. But, if someone really wants a car or something inside it, a quick smash and grab is faster than picking a lock.

Most car thefts and break ins are about opportunity and given a thief an opportunity is what I worry about when I leave and park it.
This says it all. I didn't even opt for an alarm on my current car.
Old 03-07-16, 05:55 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Up here during our cold, dark winter mornings, it is about looking for windows of opportunity. Slowly troll a nice neighbourhood in the mornings as people prepare to leave for work and a number of (nice) cars will be idling in the driveways, warming up as their owners finish breakfast. That is the perfect opportunity to grab a nice E- or S-Class; be careful, though, that there is not a toddler sitting in the backseat.

Many cities now do have anti-idling bylaws but many either don't know about them or don't care (if you can afford a nice, premium car, the fine -- assuming you are caught -- is merely spare change). Neither do these people know that it is better -- for both the environment AND the car -- to NOT let a car idle and warm up in the morning for too long.
Old 03-07-16, 06:36 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

There were reports going around recently about Honda and Acura keyless entry systems being defeated by some magic box, so a thief could walk up to your car and open a door just by touching the handle. I think it worked by amplifying and relaying signals between a key fob in the house and the car.

Cars won't be secure until carmakers have infosec professionals with them at every stage of design and production. See the recent FCA recalls over Internet hacks, Nissan's Leaf app issues, who knows what other security horrors are lurking out there.