Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoblog's Cadillac XT5 First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 03:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe this is a test on a pre-production model. It's hard to put too much into fit and finish until it goes into production. Of all the reviews that came out today, this is the only one I have seen that mentions this as an issue.
Yes I agree, haven't seen too much complaints anywhere else. Automobile likes it. Also, it appears they have nailed the ride comfort.
Old 03-09-16, 03:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I could name a long list of reason for either the XT5 or the RX350, but instead, why don't we just enjoy the reviews of the XT5 for what they are?
Agreed. I'm sure Caddy is optimistic about the new XT5. They sold about 1000k SRX last year and with the updated (better looking IMO) new model, what's not to like? The segment is still hot and this one will sell well.
Old 03-09-16, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Agreed. I'm sure Caddy is optimistic about the new XT5. They sold about 1000k SRX last year and with the updated (better looking IMO) new model, what's not to like? The segment is still hot and this one will sell well.
I know that styling is subjective, but what amazes me is that the last SRX sold so well with the way it looked.....IMO the worst styling of any recent production Cadillac.
Old 03-09-16, 04:05 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe this is a test on a pre-production model. It's hard to put too much into fit and finish until it goes into production. Of all the reviews that came out today, this is the only one I have seen that mentions this as an issue.

The Motor Trend review makes a brief mention of the same:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-...-drive-review/
Yeah, just look at those official pictures. Tacky designs and poor fit and finish
Old 03-09-16, 04:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I know that styling is subjective, but what amazes me is that the last SRX sold so well with the way it looked.....IMO the worst styling of any recent producti
on Cadillac.
The dirt cheap not-so-luxury starting price along with the ever so famous GM incentives is what helped drive sales
Old 03-09-16, 04:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

We had a previous gen SRX for a rental while on extended vacation in Hawaii and really enjoyed it. So much so that when we went to buy our family vehicle, we took a close look at them. In the end, it was the lack of adequate cargo room that crossed it off the list. We ended up with the RX in large part because it could swallow our jogging stroller easier than anything else we looked at in the class.
Old 03-09-16, 06:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
With excellent reviews and a slightly lower starting MSRP, along with what looks like a supple, well reviewed interior. Should do well.
Old 03-18-16, 07:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm in the market for a small SUV when my S5 lease is up in December. I went to the Dallas Auto Show today, and the XT5 was sitting way over in a corner in the Cadillac display, with no way of getting close to it and the doors locked.

Everyone is raving over what an improvement the interior is. I would have liked to have sat in it. Great way to introduce a new model.
Old 03-18-16, 07:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm in the market for a small SUV when my S5 lease is up in December. I went to the Dallas Auto Show today, and the XT5 was sitting way over in a corner in the Cadillac display, with no way of getting close to it and the doors locked.

Everyone is raving over what an improvement the interior is. I would have liked to have sat in it. Great way to introduce a new model.
How did it look in person?
Old 03-20-16, 06:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the exterior looked pretty sharp, but then I happen to like the vertical lighting in the front of the new Cadillacs. Couldn't really tell much about the back because they had it parked nose-out in a corner. Again, not sure what they were thinking, except maybe that's its best angle.

I liked the interior in the new RX the best of any of the SUVs in that class, but most reviewers say the driving dynamics aren't that great. I'll have to test drive one for myself. Most likely going for an SQ5 because it is the right size, well appointed and a beast on the road. I don't care that it's dated. It is still pretty far ahead of most others.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-20-16 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I would have liked to have sat in it. Great way to introduce a new model.
If it was a pre-production model they had at the show (which is typically what happens), that may (?) explain why it is not unlocked. Pre-production interiors are generally not done to the same standards as the actual production models.
Old 03-20-16, 11:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I thought the exterior looked pretty sharp, but then I happen to like the vertical lighting in the front of the new Cadillacs. Couldn't really tell much about the back because they had it parked nose-out in a corner. Again, not sure what they were thinking, except maybe that's its best angle.

I liked the interior in the new RX the best of any of the SUVs in that class, but most reviewers say the driving dynamics aren't that great. I'll have to test drive one for myself. Most likely going for an SQ5 because it is the right size, well appointed and a beast on the road. I don't care that it's dated. It is still pretty far ahead of most others.

The SQ5 would be a good choice. I don't consider the current gen Q5/SQ5 dated. The styling has held up well, it's just a little familiar after some 8 model years. We have a Q5 that we'll be replacing sometime around November and am shopping for its replacement now.
Old 03-21-16, 12:53 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see this being anything better than an average offering in this segment. The X3, Q5, RX, and GLC are clearly more attractive vehicles with more appealing interiors, technology, and driving dynamics.

I never understood how the SRX had strong sales, because it was a less-than-mediocre vehicle. The only places I ever saw them were in airport rental lots. I suspect that trend will continue for the XT5.
Old 03-21-16, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride

I never understood how the SRX had strong sales, because it was a less-than-mediocre vehicle. The only places I ever saw them were in airport rental lots. I suspect that trend will continue for the XT5.
Yes, i'm with you on that.....I thought the SRX was probably the worst-looking of all the modern chisel-styled Cadillacs.
Old 03-21-16, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The compact and mid-size luxury CUV segments are so popular right now, I'm sure the XT5 will sell well for Cadillac. It should remain its best selling model.

Quick Reply: Autoblog's Cadillac XT5 First Drive