Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Hyundai Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 07:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

one thing about hyundai, they're not shy about making changes...

this and the sonata went from 'out there' curvy to uber safe and i think for this elantra at least, it's going to hurt sales because the civic has REALLY stepped up the game.

i'm sure it's a nice basic car, but i don't think it will do very well in the u.s.
Old 03-17-16, 07:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
With the new Civic just taking off,
I don't think the new Civic stying is going to do as big as wonders as Honda hopes. But we'll see.
Old 03-17-16, 08:54 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think the new Civic stying is going to do as big as wonders as Honda hopes. But we'll see.
It's not just the styling, but the overall improvement in execution of the Civic that will inject some life into the car, although it has never truly struggled in the sales department, even when it was fairly lackluster in the styling and dynamic areas.

Elantra is a handsome and well done car that I think will age a bit more gracefully than the last gen. Hyundai is trying to assert itself with vehicles that are strong fundamentally. Stiffer structures, balanced dynamics to go along with their traditional high content/value, and I think some of the best control layout/functionality in the industry right now.

It's a very tough segment this year, with Civic and Cruze all-new, freshened Corolla and Focus, etc. They're also fighting against the Compact and Subcompact Crossovers that America just can't get enough of at the moment.
Old 03-17-16, 10:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's not just the styling, but the overall improvement in execution of the Civic that will inject some life into the car, although it has never truly struggled in the sales department, even when it was fairly lackluster in the styling and dynamic areas.

Elantra is a handsome and well done car that I think will age a bit more gracefully than the last gen. Hyundai is trying to assert itself with vehicles that are strong fundamentally. Stiffer structures, balanced dynamics to go along with their traditional high content/value, and I think some of the best control layout/functionality in the industry right now.

It's a very tough segment this year, with Civic and Cruze all-new, freshened Corolla and Focus, etc. They're also fighting against the Compact and Subcompact Crossovers that America just can't get enough of at the moment.
I don't follow Honda all that well as per sales, do you know how its doing for sales since the redesign?
Old 03-17-16, 11:41 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't follow Honda all that well as per sales, do you know how its doing for sales since the redesign?
Just look for yourself. I mean sales numbers in and of itself are hard to take conclusions from. You'd need to look at each competitor, etc. But even with the swing towards crossovers, the Civic's 2016 calendar year sales are up for Jan and Feb over the 2015 period significantly, and that's before the sales of the new coupe and yet to be released hatchback have started.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html
Old 03-17-16, 12:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But even with the swing towards crossovers, the Civic's 2016 calendar year sales are up for Jan and Feb over the 2015 period significantly, and that's before the sales of the new coupe and yet to be released hatchback have started.
Well, I got my answer. Thanks for posting the link. I am going to have to read up on Civic..
Old 03-17-16, 12:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Honda learned a big lesson in 2012, when they tried to cost-cut excessively on that year's redesigned Civic. I did a full-review on one that year, and I wasn't even inside the car thirty-seconds before I could see that the bean-counters had clearly designed it...hard plastic literally everywhere, almost no soft material, poorly-finished panels, second-rate seats, etc..... My opinion wasn't alone....the outcry from both the auto press and public was so strong that Honda did the otherwise unthinkable....an emergency redesign of the interior trim and an upgrade on the exterior trim within one model year. It was ready for production that very fall, for the upcoming 2013 model year. I haven't actually reviewed a new Civic since then, but Honda seems to have learned their lesson. I suspect that 2012-model year Civics took a bit hit on resale value, very quickly.
Old 03-17-16, 01:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I suspect that 2012-model year Civics took a bit hit on resale value, very quickly.
They haven't. 2012's and the emergency refreshed 2013 are not markedly different in their resale performance. But that's off topic from the elantra
Old 03-17-16, 01:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They haven't. 2012's and the emergency refreshed 2013 are not markedly different in their resale performance. But that's off topic from the elantra
Agreed. Back on topic.
Old 03-17-16, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Although it is not definite or cast in stone, we will (likely) see a new Elantra GT hatchback, with a turbo engine, next year, based on the current new sedan platform. The old GT, as I mentioned in the review, is being carried forward this year in the American market as a 2016 model, using the last-generation interior and platform, but sporting a new 2017-style grille until the rest of the car catches up next year.