Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One of the wildest drives I've ever experienced was in that RS4 through the streets of Hollywood. I don't know how Audi got away with it, but they had invited a select group of people to test out the new Q7 and the RS4 was also available to ride along in. There we went through the hills of Hollywood and Beverly Hills, with a professional race car driver behind the wheel. And he was driving like he was in competition. The car sounded like a Corvette, and stuck to corners like glue. Somehow, we got through the day without any accidents. I guess maybe they contacted the city prior, as no race car driver got any tickets either. Only in Hollywood!
That gets back to what I said earlier about the Germans knowing how to design suspensions. Traditionally, among coupes/sedans, BMW and Porsche have been the masters, but recently Mercedes and Audi have been catching up.
Old 03-24-16, 07:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That gets back to what I said earlier about the Germans knowing how to design suspensions. Traditionally, among coupes/sedans, BMW and Porsche have been the masters, but recently Mercedes and Audi have been catching up.
I'd say The Japanese and Americans have caught up. In fact, the Caddy with the Magnetic systems are the absolute best in their segments. The RWD Lexus platforms are also top of their class thumping their German counterparts.
Old 03-24-16, 09:29 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

love the new A4. the 2.0 turbo 4 is tried and true. i'd pick this over IS200t if i don't planning on keeping it for over 5 years :P
Old 03-24-16, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'd say The Japanese and Americans have caught up. In fact, the Caddy with the Magnetic systems are the absolute best in their segments. The RWD Lexus platforms are also top of their class thumping their German counterparts.
Yes, the Cadillac ATS does have a superb-handling chassis (that platform is also used for the new Camaro)...but at the cost of quite a stiff ride, even with the Magno-shocks.
Old 03-24-16, 10:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It all comes down to the stiffness of the structure. Suspension engineers can only do so much if the body is made of wet pasta noodle sticks. Now that Lexus has at least caught up with adhesives and laser welding, handling is on par or better, for now.