Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln Navigator Concept

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 10:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lincoln Navigator Concept

Galleries:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/linco...gator-concept/
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/linco...t-live-images/

The Lincoln Navigator's demise has been greatly exaggerated, and nearly 20 years after it first revolutionized the luxury segment, a new generation of the iconic sport-utility vehicle will again point the way forward for the brand.

Previewed by a concept at the New York Auto Show, the new Navigator will hit showrooms next year joining the much-anticipated Continental sedan as Lincoln's twin flagships. The concept is "a very strong" hint of what the production Navigator will look like, Lincoln president Kumar Galhotra said.

He's referring to the general appearance of the tall concept, which is confident, creased, and a bit reminiscent of a Range Rover. There are huge wheels, lots of chrome, and "Navigator" spelled out in blocked capital letters over the fender vents. It runs a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 making 400 horsepower and will ride on a new chassis, though Galhotra wouldn't offer more details.

Oh, and it has gullwing doors. The crowd audibly oohed and aahed when that feature was demonstrated at a preview event in New York, but those are purely for show. They won't be on the production model, Galhotra said, and they're meant to demonstrate the spacious cabin. "The nature of the vehicle is very important ... and it's a great way to showcase that interior," he said.

The inside of the concept is an interesting place. It has a rear cargo area that doubles as a closet, complete with shelves that make up a wardrobe management system, and there's a rail running down the middle of the passenger area. A multi-level running board cascades forward when the gullwing doors open, and the six seats are adjustable 30 ways. There are also wifi-equipped touchscreen monitors mounted in the seat backs.

Inside and out, the Navigator carries a nautical vibe. It's covered in a soft shade of blue paint, while the interior has blue leather and teak accents.

The Navigator concept features some of Ford's semi-autonomous technology, including pre-collision assist with pedestrian detection. The radar-and-camera-based system will look for obstacles in the vehicle's path, warn the driver, and then brake if needed. It also has a 360-degree camera and lane-keeping assist. Look for all of this on the production model.

Launched in 1997, the Navigator is one of the original all-American large luxury SUVs – the Cadillac Escalade didn't arrive until 1999. The Navigator received a refresh for the 2015 model year, but has largely languished as Lincoln refreshed and expanded the rest of its lineup. Lincoln sales are up 19 percent this year, but the Navigator has slipped 6.8 percent. Now Lincoln has decided it's time to remake one of its icons. "It is our most-recognized nameplate," Galhotra said. With gullwing doors, dramatic styling, and an elegant interior, the Navigator will also likely be one of the most talked-about vehicles at the New York show.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/23/l...#slide-3839532

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-22-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 02:02 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice concept. The exterior reminds me of the Range Rover.
Old 03-23-16, 04:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Way too close the Range Rover outside, imo.
Old 03-23-16, 06:17 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It does have some range rover flavor, but a bit softer edges, plus it will be much larger than any RR offered. If you care going to crib design cues there are worse examples to pull from. I think it looks good and the slab sides are befitting of a Lincoln. I dig that the interior has finally gotten away from the current "double pod" look. My in-laws have owned the last two generations of Navigator, hope they decide to upgrade to this one once it is in production.

Please loose the turbine wheels though, yuck, look cheesy.
Old 03-23-16, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Way too close the Range Rover outside, imo.
.............Even with the Continental front end? Lincoln seems to be using that basic theme for all of its new designs.

What concerns me more are the gull-wing doors. Yes, they're nice for getting in and out of in tight spaces, but they have traditionally been a quality-control problem on the assembly-line for vehicles that have them, and subject to numerous flaws and shortcomings.
Old 03-23-16, 07:22 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

We all know those doors are "for show only" and even the design team from Lincoln has stated as such. But the overall form and design is nice and clean and looks to point Lincoln in a good, cohesive direction between this and the Continental.
Old 03-23-16, 10:19 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.............Even with the Continental front end? Lincoln seems to be using that basic theme for all of its new designs.
The gently sloping roofline, window treatment, character line, and even chrome trim on the lower sides of the car scream Range Rover. Obviously the front end is an extension of the Continental design. Just like when Luc Donckerwolke criticized the Continental, it's the overall design that looks unoriginal.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What concerns me more are the gull-wing doors. Yes, they're nice for getting in and out of in tight spaces, but they have traditionally been a quality-control problem on the assembly-line for vehicles that have them, and subject to numerous flaws and shortcomings.
That obviously isn't coming on the production version.
Old 03-23-16, 10:27 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Some similarities, but not a direct crib on the design. The roof slope and the blacked out D pillar are the two that really stand out, but frankly lots of SUVs and even some cars now are blacking out the last pillar. Otherwise they are pretty far apart, even more so than I first thought. Thanks for the picture. I don't think overall the look of the Navigator will be mistaken for a Rover. I actually see allot of the slab sided Escalade in the Lincoln, especially the rear half of the side profile.
Old 03-23-16, 10:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
We all know those doors are "for show only" and even the design team from Lincoln has stated as such. But the overall form and design is nice and clean and looks to point Lincoln in a good, cohesive direction between this and the Continental.
Just have them go license the Falcon Wing doors from Tesla and it'll work
Old 03-23-16, 10:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Some similarities, but not a direct crib on the design. The roof slope and the blacked out D pillar are the two that really stand out, but frankly lots of SUVs and even some cars now are blacking out the last pillar. Otherwise they are pretty far apart, even more so than I first thought. Thanks for the picture. I don't think overall the look of the Navigator will be mistaken for a Rover. I actually see allot of the slab sided Escalade in the Lincoln, especially the rear half of the side profile.
Yes, this is why I didn't say "direct copy" or anything like that. Also note they didn't just blackout the last pillar either, they blacked out the window line on the side a la Range Rover.

I am by no means stating that someone will see a Navigator and confuse it for a RR- there just are some very prominent details that are clearly Range Rover inspired.

As for the Escalade comment, disagree. What body on frame SUV is any different? They're all relatively slad sided, and this is no change from previous iterations of the Navigator.
Old 03-23-16, 10:53 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Agree, even the big Inifinty SUV also has similarities in my eye. In the end there are only so many ways to make a large SUV, it is basically a box on wheels. This one at least looks cohesive in its overall design to me, some of the previous generations of Navigator, not so much.
Old 03-23-16, 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Stunning concept. It's about time the Navigator returned to the limelight as a large lavish flagship

Shares a similar profile to the Explorer

The triple step deployable running boards are a nice touch!
Old 03-23-16, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

That obviously isn't coming on the production version.
I don't think you can say really "obviously". The production design hasn't been finalized yet. I agree, though, that they are probably less-likely on that version.
Old 03-23-16, 02:07 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Ford said the doors were show only. So at this point yes it is obvious. :-)
Old 03-23-16, 02:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Ford said the doors were show only. So at this point yes it is obvious. :-)
Hehe took the words right out of my mouth.

Quick Reply: Lincoln Navigator Concept