Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 08:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

just needs 300hp
Old 03-25-16, 10:24 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it, but wont buy it lol
Old 03-26-16, 05:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
good point! but the Miata outhandles it, its quicker, & stops better than the BRZ....but I'd still take a BRZ over a Miata.

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club vs. 2015 Subaru BRZ - Head 2 Head Ep. 68 - YouTube
Disagree - the economy tires on the 86/BRZ kill its perf capability from the factory.
Put the tires from Miata on the BRZ and the results will be way different!
Old 03-27-16, 08:52 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Disagree - the economy tires on the 86/BRZ kill its perf capability from the factory.
Put the tires from Miata on the BRZ and the results will be way different!
Not just the tires. Mazda underrated engine in Miata. It makes about 150whp, when official number is 155hp crank. Mazda also gives a really tight gearing ratio to achieve better 0-60. And for same money goes to FR-S' new tires, you can get Miata sway bars and springs, which are what the car needs to match overdamped shocks and get rid body roll.
Old 03-27-16, 05:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Not just the tires. Mazda underrated engine in Miata. It makes about 150whp, when official number is 155hp crank. Mazda also gives a really tight gearing ratio to achieve better 0-60. And for same money goes to FR-S' new tires, you can get Miata sway bars and springs, which are what the car needs to match overdamped shocks and get rid body roll.
I sat in the new Miata yesterday at the NY Auto Show - honestly the car feels like a toy compared to my BRZ. It is really small inside!

If you are 5'10 or taller - you can't sit in it comfortably at all, as the steering wheel does NOT adjust forward / back to your torso, only up/down. I asked the rep from Mazda and he said it is the #1 complaint.
Also there is zero storage place for anything inside.

86/BRZ to me is a much better car overall as a track/weekend fun car.
The Miata is great if you want a convertible.
Old 03-27-16, 08:16 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I sat in the new Miata yesterday at the NY Auto Show - honestly the car feels like a toy compared to my BRZ. It is really small inside!

If you are 5'10 or taller - you can't sit in it comfortably at all, as the steering wheel does NOT adjust forward / back to your torso, only up/down. I asked the rep from Mazda and he said it is the #1 complaint.
Also there is zero storage place for anything inside.

86/BRZ to me is a much better car overall as a track/weekend fun car.
The Miata is great if you want a convertible.
I totally understand what you're saying. When it comes to sportscar, I don't really think rational, I don't need to. I mean even purchasing the car I like is never rational to me. Why would I think about practicality if I never think about rationality? And yeah, anyone 6'+ should forget about getting a Miata. Though I'm 5'8", thanks to genetic inheritance, I have more choices to choose from. I will get an additional vehicle, if I need more utilities, but for now my priorities are impracticality, fun, and emotional fullness.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm trading in my WRX for Miata RF. There wasn't any self-conflict before making the decision.

Last edited by cino; 03-27-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 04:29 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Isn't the Miata a few thousands more than the FRS at base? I believe the MX5 is a chick magnet thought
Old 03-29-16, 05:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The look of the top behind reminds me of the Ferrari 575 Superamerica.

Last edited by TangoRed; 03-29-16 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-29-16, 05:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

If you are 5'10 or taller - you can't sit in it comfortably at all
really? i'm 6'3" and had an NC (last gen) and sat in it just fine. i did modify the left foot dead pedal (made it lower) as it sat up way too high. i haven't been in this new one yet though.
Old 03-29-16, 08:22 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lurker9
Isn't the Miata a few thousands more than the FRS at base? I believe the MX5 is a chick magnet thought
Hmm NO.

Miata ND starts at $24,915 + $820 destination and $300 mandatory keyless option. $26,035 Total.
FR-S Starts at $25,305 + $795 destination fee. Total $26,100.

You don't get LSD in Miata unless you get Club model, though like Torsen, Miata LSD is not very robust like OS Giken unit. You do get convenience feature like Keyless, bluetooth hand free, headrest speakers, etc..
Old 03-29-16, 02:26 PM
balMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If you are 5'10 or taller - you can't sit in it comfortably at all
really? i'm 6'3" and had an NC (last gen) and sat in it just fine. i did modify the left foot dead pedal (made it lower) as it sat up way too high. i haven't been in this new one yet though.
I think it depends on how you sit. I think I sit similar to RNM GS3. I'm 5'8" and when I sat in ND, I barely could set the seating position to my liking. I was thinking 5'9" probably will be fine but not 5'10". Then my 6'3" friend sat in and said he can set the position to his liking.
Old 03-29-16, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My last-gen MX-5 was a blast to drive. I just loved it on local streets with the top down. It was almost intuitive the way it handled... like an extension of my body. The downside was that I found its use very limited. If I needed to drive on the freeway to go anywhere the engine drone and road noise made me want to poke out my eardrums. It ended up sitting in my mother's garage (she doesn't drive) so she could show her friends her son drove a "sports car".

I would love one just to do local errands but don't want to park a third car in the driveway just for "fun days". It is long gone, but I will admit everyone should drive one just once.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-29-16 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 04:42 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My last-gen MX-5 was a blast to drive. I just loved it on local streets with the top down. It was almost intuitive the way it handled... like an extension of my body. The downside was that I found its use very limited. If I needed to drive on the freeway to go anywhere the engine drone and road noise made me want to poke out my eardrums. It ended up sitting in my mother's garage (she doesn't drive) so she could show her friends her son drove a "sports car".

I would love one just to do local errands but don't want to park a third car in the driveway just for "fun days". It is long gone, but I will admit everyone should drive one just once.
Interesting perspective, it make for a strong case of buying used.
Old 03-30-16, 07:03 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
For those days, I use the Bose Quiet Comfort 20i noise canceling earbuds. Try it. It works wonders in my convertible. It drowns the noise but you still remain aware of the surroundings.
Old 03-31-16, 11:08 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Looks like a mini Jaguar F-Type. I like it.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF