Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is the Autumn Shimmer exterior color so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This, it reminds people of that POS Chevette or Vega they had back in the day. The only good thing about brown is its the same color as rust, but on new cars that isn't an issue.
Trust me............the Vega had LOTS worse issues than its paint colors.

Oh and brown can look classy on some 1970's cars, especially Cadillacs with matching brown leather. They used a lot of colors similar to that Lexus color that were kind of orangy and had a lot of metallic flake.
Tan, in general, looks awful (subjective, of course, from my point of view)...but there are a lot of nice shades of darker brown, particularly when it has some gold or orange mixed in with it like in these "Autumn" shades.
Old 03-24-16, 09:35 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I've the seen the brown on the NX....looks more like root beer 'ish vs. some gross poop color
Old 03-25-16, 11:19 AM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've been convinced by this thread. No to the Autumn Shimmer. I'm going with the Nebula Gray Pearl instead. It's not as boring a gray as I thought. There's some character in there and a bluish gray hue.

This is not mine, but I like how it looks

Last edited by lexusbexus; 03-25-16 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-25-16, 01:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Don't make your color decision based on what others think or feel. Always base your color decision on what YOU like. You are the one living with the car, it has to be to your liking.
As far as Nebula, it only has the blue tint when the sun is not shining. Otherwise, expect it to look like a very standard, medium gray.
Old 03-25-16, 03:32 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Choose the color YOU like, your calling.
Old 03-25-16, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Don't make your color decision based on what others think or feel. Always base your color decision on what YOU like. You are the one living with the car, it has to be to your liking.
Originally Posted by chickoo
Choose the color YOU like, your calling.
I agree with both of you guys in principle, but, with the color palates used for a lot of vehicles today, that's not always easy to do. White, silver, black, gray, dark blue, and burgundy seem to pretty much dominate on most vehicles, with only a few other shades here and there tossed in, unless they are highly sport-oriented.
Old 03-25-16, 07:11 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
I'm shopping for my first Lexus (an SUV, probably the '16 NX). Most of the available colors don't impress me, except for the Autumn Shimmer and the Nightfall Mica (only available in the RX). To me the Autumn Shimmer really stands out and looks like a "premium" color that you see only on luxury cars. And yet they're so hard to find in inventory even in a major city. One salesman told me it's unpopular and they represent only 1% of sales (not sure if he meant 1% of NX sales or overall Lexus sales, but surprising either way). Inventories everywhere bear this out. It's not even like there are restrictions on it, it's available at any trim level.

So before I commit to an Autumn Shimmer, is there something I'm missing about this color choice? Like lower resale value or something? Do people seriously like boring old greys, silvers, reds and blues over a unique blend that stands out? It even goes perfectly with the Flaxen (my choice) or Creme interiors.

Note: On previous Lexus models, this similar color was called Fire Agate Pearl.
A color like that would only look good on certain body shapes plus there is the resale issue ...
Old 03-25-16, 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Nebula Gray is a great choice. That, or Atomic Silver, would be my color choice on the NX. But that's just me.
Old 03-25-16, 07:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I wish Lexus would offer a nice non-metallic red on their F-Sport cars, a deep red, like BMW's Imola Red. I think that would look really hot on a rather overstyled car like the RC and NX.
Old 03-25-16, 07:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed on a non-metallic, deep red... and on "overstyled".
Old 03-25-16, 07:55 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Personally I wish Lexus would offer a nice non-metallic red on their F-Sport cars, a deep red, like BMW's Imola Red. I think that would look really hot on a rather overstyled car like the RC and NX.
That Or the red that Mazda is using now. It is really premium looking.
Old 03-25-16, 09:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I think Lexus has some of the best reds in the business. The new Infrared gets alot of positive attention and comments. Only available on the RC, afaik. Matador Red has also been very well received over the years on all models. And the new non-metalic Redline looks pretty sporty on the IS F-Sport. My opinion though.
Old 03-25-16, 09:53 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I dislike nebula gray. Bring back the old Flint Mica or that other Mica color that was a true charcoal
Old 03-26-16, 05:40 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a brown audi in my neighborhood similar to the color below that I see all of the time. I like it. The picture doesn't do it justice in my opinion; it looks much nicer in person. It has that distinguished, "expensive" look.

I have never seen a Lexus in that color, but I'm sure it would look the same.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wasn't sure what color 'autumn shimmer' was, so looked it up. now i see why it's unpopular.

Old 03-26-16, 05:56 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I really like the autumn shimmer. pops really nice on a sunny day and makes the chrome pop out more too on the car. weve had a few of them but all ESs. ive only seen one RX wearing it. I think the hangup is like what others said, its a trend color and once its out, its REALLY going to be out, kind of like teal green cars were in the 90s. everyone wanted teal green, today they look awful. another reason the Autumn shimmer is unwanted is I think its subconscious. when I think of brown cars I think one of those of old big poop colored rusty smoke belching turds from the early 80s that everyone had one of in there neighborhood. sucks. its a beautiful color and man oh man you should see it with the caramel interior! its godly!!

Quick Reply: Why is the Autumn Shimmer exterior color so unpopular?