Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is the Autumn Shimmer exterior color so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 10:52 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the Autumn Shimmer exterior color so unpopular?

I'm shopping for my first Lexus (an SUV, probably the '16 NX). Most of the available colors don't impress me, except for the Autumn Shimmer and the Nightfall Mica (only available in the RX). To me the Autumn Shimmer really stands out and looks like a "premium" color that you see only on luxury cars. And yet they're so hard to find in inventory even in a major city. One salesman told me it's unpopular and they represent only 1% of sales (not sure if he meant 1% of NX sales or overall Lexus sales, but surprising either way). Inventories everywhere bear this out. It's not even like there are restrictions on it, it's available at any trim level.

So before I commit to an Autumn Shimmer, is there something I'm missing about this color choice? Like lower resale value or something? Do people seriously like boring old greys, silvers, reds and blues over a unique blend that stands out? It even goes perfectly with the Flaxen (my choice) or Creme interiors.

Note: On previous Lexus models, this similar color was called Fire Agate Pearl.
Old 03-22-16, 11:15 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

People are afraid to be bold...
Old 03-23-16, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

Much of it depends on where you are in the country. I notice you are in GA. The auto market in the East tends to be in more conservative colors, where you see a lot more of the brighter colors you are referring to on the West Coast, CA, and the Southwest. I'm in VA, though (specifically, the D.C. suburbs), and I'm with you........I'm tired of all the funeral colors myself.
Old 03-23-16, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

wasn't sure what color 'autumn shimmer' was, so looked it up. now i see why it's unpopular.

Old 03-23-16, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wasn't sure what color 'autumn shimmer' was, so looked it up. now i see why it's unpopular.
I've seen lots worse. And, while it is true that conservative colors predominate in the East, that shade seems to be getting a little more popular in the D.C. area. But, still, you're correct in that, overall, it can't touch the number of white, gray, or silver ES models that go out the door.
Old 03-23-16, 07:02 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LMAO, +1

I really hate brown cars ......but to each their own...

Old 03-23-16, 12:39 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

There's one in my neighborhood. Not a bad color actually in person. Has a copper look to it instead of brown.
Old 03-23-16, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This is a color you have to see in person to appreciate, especially in the sunlight. It truly does 'pop' but only under the right circumstances :/

terrible picture but it does 'burn copper' sometimes

Old 03-23-16, 06:27 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I love the color. Brown cars are nice
Old 03-23-16, 06:34 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

To answer your question, yes, it would probably affect resale value. I wanted truffle mica when buying my RX but was afraid the brown color wouldn't sit well with others. Earth tones were popular for a while and during that time, I was afraid the fad wouldn't last. Bought black instead lol
Old 03-23-16, 06:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

To the original poster, you can look at a line of cars at an intersection and notice that most are white, black, silver or gray. The public usually goes with colors that blend in. I don't think many want to make that bold a statement. Also, shades of brown seem to be "faddish" colors that are introduced at one point within a line of vehicles and quickly go away. Lexus had a Tiger Eye Mica on their SC430 that was a special edition car. It was quite attractive, but I think it lasted one model year. Infiniti had a copper FX that was only offered for a short time. Audi has a Teak Brown on their A5 that is nice, but very few people buy it. These are really niche colors.

This does make it particularly hard to resell because it isn't the taste of most potential buyers.

From the picks, I think Autumn Shimmer would look great with the Noble Brown interior, but I still wouldn't pick it because it will probably go out of style quickly (says the guy with the silver car.)
Old 03-23-16, 06:56 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Infiniti had a copper FX that was only offered for a short time.
That was a seriously sexy color. You'd need the right body shape (and the FX certainly fit the bill), but I'd absolutely buy a car in that color today.

Originally Posted by dseag2
(says the guy with the silver car.)
I talk big as well--would love a bright blue, or deep purple color. Maybe even a VERY dark red--but alas, our three cars are Alpine White, Pearl White, and Gun Metallic (Grey). All purchased because they were the right car/option combo at the right price at the right time, color being only an eliminating factor (ex: no black). Result: Milquetoast.

Last edited by geko29; 03-23-16 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 07:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I talk big as well--would love a bright blue, or deep purple color. Maybe even a VERY dark red--but alas, our three cars are Alpine White, Pearl White, and Gun Metallic (Grey). All purchased because they were the right car/option combo at the right price at the right time, color being only an eliminating factor (ex: no black). Result: Milquetoast.
Yes, true that. Platinum Graphite (gun metal) and Florett Silver (silver) here! Also, no black cars after owning one and having to take care of it! But even Milquetoast can still be sexy in an S5.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-23-16 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 12:06 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm not going to beat around the bush with my answer. The simple truth is most consider brown to be an ugly car color. The 1970's was the last romance with this shade, and the memory has still left it's negative impression decades later.

Having said that, there's technically nothing wrong with the color. It's just the memory built in, with people associating brown with crappy 1970's cars.
Old 03-24-16, 06:34 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm not going to beat around the bush with my answer. The simple truth is most consider brown to be an ugly car color. The 1970's was the last romance with this shade, and the memory has still left it's negative impression decades later.

Having said that, there's technically nothing wrong with the color. It's just the memory built in, with people associating brown with crappy 1970's cars.
This, it reminds people of that POS Chevette or Vega they had back in the day. The only good thing about brown is its the same color as rust, but on new cars that isn't an issue.

Oh and brown can look classy on some 1970's cars, especially Cadillacs with matching brown leather. They used a lot of colors similar to that Lexus color that were kind of orangy and had a lot of metallic flake.

Personally I'd go for it, if that is the color you like. As for resale, how long are you keeping the car, and do you just trade them in at the dealer. If you're going to keep it a while(3-4+ years), I say screw it and buy what you like. And if you trade the car in at the dealer, well that's their problem unloading a unique color, not yours. It would be a PITA to sell yourself though IMO.

Quick Reply: Why is the Autumn Shimmer exterior color so unpopular?