Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What does the RX compare it with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
the Jeep Grand Cherokee is about as nice an overall vehicle as you will find in that class.
Personally speaking, I have never been able to warm up to the Jeep brand other than a Wrangler. I would never ever consider a JGC, but that is just me

IMO, I would take a new 2016 4Runner Limited over anything Lexus made in the size or similar price points. I am a big believer in having a body on frame vehicle and the value that one gets with the 4Runner makes it a good buy IMO as it puts the utility in the name for the 4Runner.

The interior size of the 4Runner approaches full size based on volume and dimensions, the interior has more cubic feet for luggage than a Land Cruiser (based on cars.com data). You get a real deal full time 4WD system, rear hatch glass that lowers, most of the features you can get in an RX, 20 in rims, heated/cooling seats etc etc. You also get it made in Japan

I don't see any value in an RX. Highlander, a little, but I would rather take the 4Runner.
Old 03-27-16, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The 4Runner is nowhere near as nice a vehicle as the JGC, or an RX. Family use and every day use is where the 4Runner would really tire you out over more refined entries in the segment. Interior is angular and uncomfortable, ride is nowhere near as composed. Most people don't need the utility that a BOF vehicle gives them, and the tradeoffs are significant for what people do in fact use them for.

Guy in my office was about to go take delivery of a 4Runner, I told him he had to drive the Jeep first, he had never considered one before. Bought the Jeep on the spot.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-27-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 04:40 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've owned two. One was problematic, the second one was great. Dealer service isn't anywhere near as good as Lexus of course. However I would absolutely purchase another one in a heartbeat. That speaks to how nice a vehicle it is. Had a problematic one and rolled the dice again and it paid off. I'd seriously rather drive the problematic one than a perfect RX.

The issues were really with the earlier 2014 models.
I seriously agree with you.
Old 03-27-16, 04:51 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't base my decision on comparing "which one is better" . Now that you've looked at the ones that you were interested in, and ruled some of them out, I would compare which ones meet your needs.

Size
new RX is much bigger than old RX. good deals to be had on some of old RX on dealer's lot. RDX is closer in size to the old RX and offers way more tech and features for the same money.

Budget
RDX is dollar for dollar a better bargain for the features

Reliability
It's a wash, while Honda has had some issues with their transmissions, I don't think it is statistically more or less than other issues Toyota had with the RX.

Brand image
Not an issue for me, but some may think Lexus conveys a certain image. You are already on the upper scale of the mainstream brands, so maybe that's important or not. It's personal and complicated

Resale
It's a wash if buying to keep, negligible on monthly payments if leasing

I would go for the newer RDX, but last year, the choice for th misses was the NX. The improvements to the new RDX have made it a no brainer now.

Last edited by My0gr81; 03-27-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Audi Q5 is one of the most reliable vehicles in its segment. I'm all about reliability and have owned many Lexuses and Infinitis, but I'm seriously considering the Q5 when my lease is up. Yes, it's been out for a long time, but it is still attractive and is still one of the best driver's cars in the segment. I can tell you from owning 3 S5's that the interior materials are first-rate and hold up well without squeaks and rattles. If you are not looking for a 12" nav screen the MMI system is intuitive and hard to beat.
Old 03-28-16, 01:01 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Thanks!

A couple of years ago I would have considered an base RX, after all a new car is a new car. But nowdays I want with the march towards autonomous driving I would at the bare mini would want LSS+.

And thats the million dollar problem, If the base RX with safety is similar to the top of the line RDX, itd be logical for the RDX.

Head hurts lol
Man! Tell me about it!
Old 03-28-16, 01:38 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drove the 2016 Acura RDX w/ Advance Package. Here are my observations:

Pros:
  • Spacious interiors
  • Well appointed leather interiors
  • Well appointed leatherette door and dashboard panels
  • Smooth engine with quick acceleration
  • Loaded with ADAS and other niceties for a base RX price

Cons:
  • Switch gear is severely lacking luxury (my Ody has similar switches and feel)
  • Quiet for a Honda but no where close to the RX. I would say it is even noisier than a NX. As someone who's owned multiple Honda's I can tell you that the noise level only goes up with miles.
  • Overall lacks the luxury feel
  • Dealership experience nowhere close to Lexus experience

Acura has definitely slipped. It's more Premium now than Luxury.
Old 03-28-16, 01:39 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Audi Q5 is one of the most reliable vehicles in its segment. I'm all about reliability and have owned many Lexuses and Infinitis, but I'm seriously considering the Q5 when my lease is up. Yes, it's been out for a long time, but it is still attractive and is still one of the best driver's cars in the segment. I can tell you from owning 3 S5's that the interior materials are first-rate and hold up well without squeaks and rattles. If you are not looking for a 12" nav screen the MMI system is intuitive and hard to beat.
Terrible time to purchase out your lease, the value on the 1st generations about to drop, as the next MY is the 2nd generation (i believe). If its problem free, something to consider. However just dont step into the dealership, cause the new mmi, virtual pit etc make a very very strong case
Old 03-28-16, 03:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Terrible time to purchase out your lease, the value on the 1st generations about to drop, as the next MY is the 2nd generation (i believe). If its problem free, something to consider. However just dont step into the dealership, cause the new mmi, virtual pit etc make a very very strong case
Very good point. The big issue that current Q5 owners (like me) are facing is the next gen Q5 will come from a brand new plant in Mexico.
Old 03-28-16, 07:22 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Of all the options there I'd be in a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. They tweaked it a little for 2017, I like the updates:

Honestly I wouldn't even consider an NX or RX compared to these Jeeps.
My primary choice is a Q5, but the more I see these pics of the new JGC the longer it stays on the list!
Old 03-28-16, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I looked at the Q5, and chose the Jeep both times
Old 03-28-16, 08:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

I looked at the Q5, and chose the Jeep both times
I'm actually looking at the SQ5, which would blow away anything but the SRT. I've read the SRT has more reliability problems than the standard JGC, plus the MPG from the big V8 would be worse, so that's why I'm still not quite sold. You have my promise that I will drive a JGC Summit before I write the check!
Old 03-28-16, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Very different cars, the Q5 is a lot sportier and more nimble, the Jeep is heavier, better riding, bigger, obviously way better offered or in bad weather...
Old 03-28-16, 09:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Had a couple of colleagues give me some info on their rides.
C1) has an 2016 RDX advance
Comments:
Loves the thing as its got a small frame and plenty of power
in the snow (light) its enough but you cant be trying to be M Schummy or else
infotainment sucks
No probs on reliability of power train
lots of lane pong from the lane keep systems
Adaptive cruise is overly sensitive
Blind spot and rear view camera are awesome
Fitment overall is good, but some panels are not great. The plastics around the infotainment scratch easily, the metal trim same thing.
Its screwed together tight

C2) has a 15 GX premium
Beast is awesome.
Towing is easy
Ground clearance is great
The engine, although a V8 isnt powerful for the vehicle. Theres no sense of immediacy when you push on the throttle, but damn is it refined
Interior noise is non existent, at speed you dont feel anything but again getting to speed is a hassle
Third row is useless unless your a child
Swing door is annoying
Old 03-29-16, 06:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

as a 2015 jeep grand cherokee summit owner (now about 15k mi.) i can say it's been wonderful. dealer isn't the taj mahal but it's fine and i've only been there twice so far for brief (free) oil changes and a rotation.

not a single creak, squeak, nothing, no issues. great.

anyway, the rdx, which obviously has been around a long time in current form, is much better now that they've added all the tech / updates this year. definitely a solid choice. i'd rather have a 6 than a turbo 4 like in the nx. the nx is nice but pretty small. the new rx has crazy looks to me, it screams "i'm desperately trying to not be considered bland!!!!" well they achieved that. rx obviously is a VERY spacious 5 seater though, and refined drive.

Quick Reply: What does the RX compare it with?