Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 11:00 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Lol add the second motor for reliability? hilarious

Lets hope this news moves the stock price up on Monday, for my sake
tesla stock up almost 3% today after the news of performance model 3 comes out over the weekend, elon is a genius.
Old 05-21-18, 11:17 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

It must be a sign of advancing age, but I fail to see the intrinsic virtue of a 3.5 second time. I guess it would be fun to take a good friend for a ride, pause at an on-ramp, and say to him, "NOW you're gonna see some serious *****!" But after a few more demos, then what? And back home every night I've got to plug the darn thing in. Every. Night.

To me, gorgeous craftsmanship and engineering with premium materials is far more important now. And more than acceleration, it would be fun to drive a car that gets around a track faster than anything else, or one that is capable of breaking 200mph. Not that I'd ever do it.

Anyway, I give Musk kudos for being out there in the arena.
Old 05-21-18, 11:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They forgot to add 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for about 2 or 3 times in warmer weather and then it starts going way down until you are quickly out of juice and have to recharge it, and it likely will reduce the life of that expensive battery too. Don't show pictures of the car inside or out because it is hideous and dull.
Old 05-21-18, 12:03 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dang it! You beat me to it. I was gonna post an article about this.

But Elon is a tool. The M3/M4 cars are legends. As much as I love Lexus, Lexus RC-F is no where near the M3/M4. BMW M is on a different type of league - for Elon to even try to compare the Model 3 Performance to the M3/M4 is a spit on the face to the M badge.

For 78K, I rather get a M3/M4. You'll get better overall performance on a M3/M4 and 100x better luxury. The 78K Model 3 Performance is literally gonna be a gimmick car that does 0-60 quickly with an interior of a 15K car.

Originally Posted by ydooby
The Performance Model 3 comes standard with all the options sans AutoPilot, and the M3 with DCT, the Competition Package and the Executive Package costs $79,245, so given the Performance Model 3's claimed performance capabilities (faster and better handling than the M3) I would say its price may be justified. And unless you are an insider you don't know if the Model 3 can actually beat the M3 around the track until someone independent gets to test it, so let's reserve judgement for now.
It doesn't take an insider to know the Model 3 Performance won't beat a M3/M4. If a Tesla Model S (which Elon said himself its a better car) can't even finished a time lap, how the hell a Model 3 Performance pack will? Electric motors will heat up around the track and go limp mode. Lets not forget that the Model 3 Performance Pack will have extra weight because of the addition of more electric motors - the Model 3 Performance will probably weigh more than the M4. The M3/M4 will also be able to maintain higher speeds around a corner too.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 05-21-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 12:36 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Consumer Reports can’t recommend the Model 3 because of weak brakes. Yeah just exactly the car I would want for the track. LOL

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/21/tech...rts/index.html

Last edited by Diesel350; 05-21-18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 01:01 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ just saw that now. posted right before markets close for the day
Old 05-21-18, 02:05 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Consumer Reports can’t recommend the Model 3 because of weak brakes. Yeah just exactly the car I would want for the track. LOL

I bet Tesla will go full PR defense mode. The last time CR gave Tesla a review that Elon didn't like - Elon and the Tesla spokespeople attacked CR.

Its also hilarious that Elon thinks his Model 3 Performance can beat a M3 when the brakes on the Model 3 can't even out perform a Ford Pick-up truck.
Old 05-21-18, 02:16 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by Diesel350

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I bet Tesla will go full PR defense mode. The last time CR gave Tesla a review that Elon didn't like - Elon and the Tesla spokespeople attacked CR.

Its also hilarious that Elon thinks his Model 3 Performance can beat a M3 when the brakes on the Model 3 can't even out perform a Ford Pick-up truck.
uhh...ok.
the problem with consumer reports "emergency brake" testing are flawed, here's why:
when you do an "emergency braking" stop you only do it once usually to prevent you from rear ending someone and to avoid an accident, but when you repeat that said emergency brake procedure multiple times in a row that now becomes a "performance" brake test. You are no longer testing to see if a brake system can handle a panic stop but instead you are now testing how much the system can resist brake fade which is a performance test.

last time i checked performance model 3 are not available just yet.
Old 05-21-18, 02:27 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stormwind
uhh...ok.
the problem with consumer reports "emergency brake" testing are flawed, here's why:
when you do an "emergency braking" stop you only do it once usually to prevent you from rear ending someone and to avoid an accident, but when you repeat that said emergency brake procedure multiple times in a row that now becomes a "performance" brake test. You are no longer testing to see if a brake system can handle a panic stop but instead you are now testing how much the system can resist brake fade which is a performance test.

Hows it flawed? Its flawed that CR did "emergency braking" multiple times? You don't do an "emergency braking" stop once, like you suggested. Emergency stop can happen multiple times in a trip because the road/driving conditions/other drivers are unpredictable. This is why CR does the emergency stop multiple times because there are situations where you needed it multiple times. Its ludicrous to think you only "emergency brake" once. Second - no brakes are 100% not faded during emergency braking. By the time you even brake hard, your brakes would be faded a bit already. CR doing this test makes sense because its more real-world.

Sure the Model 3 is not out. But Elon didn't say anything about the Model 3 getting an upgraded brake package. And I also highly doubt it'll come with better brakes either.
Old 05-21-18, 02:41 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Hows it flawed? Its flawed that CR did "emergency braking" multiple times? You don't do an "emergency braking" stop once, like you suggested. Emergency stop can happen multiple times in a trip because the road/driving conditions/other drivers are unpredictable. This is why CR does the emergency stop multiple times because there are situations where you needed it multiple times. Its ludicrous to think you only "emergency brake" once. Second - no brakes are 100% not faded during emergency braking. By the time you even brake hard, your brakes would be faded a bit already. CR doing this test makes sense because its more real-world.
if you are doing multiple consecutive panic stops all the time then you need to :
1. stop driving
2. just stop driving

Sure the Model 3 is not out. But Elon didn't say anything about the Model 3 getting an upgraded brake package. And I also highly doubt it'll come with better brakes either.
and you sound very confident about this....would you like to bet money on it?
Old 05-21-18, 03:10 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

if you are doing multiple consecutive panic stops all the time then you need to :
1. stop driving
2. just stop driving

and you sound very confident about this....would you like to bet money on it?
That doesn't make any sense at all. You can't tell someone to stop driving for braking hard on multiple occasions. Things are out of your control sometimes and you need to brake hard - that doesn't mean you should stop driving nor it means the person is a bad driver. Secondly, you just proved my point. CR's test is valid. They need to do multiple hard brake tests because there are people that will emergency brake often or there are situations that make them do it often.
IE: Can you predict other drivers? Can you predict environmental factors? Can you predict animals running out of the road? etc...?
Here's a personal example: I drove through my local park once and a duck ran out of the trees. I braked instantly and hard to avoid killing a duck. A block later, I had to brake hard again because a biker swung in front of me. In less than 5 minutes - I was forced to brake hard twice. So, I should stop driving because of factors beyond my control?

What you are alluding to is - all emergency brake test should be done once because no one should emergency brake more than once or they should stop driving.

Who said I was confident about this? I'm assuming because Elon didn't bring up upgraded brakes.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 05-21-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 03:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

I thought CR was a garbage publication according the brain trust here.
Old 05-21-18, 04:05 PM
Stormwind
Racer

A block later, I had to brake hard again because a biker swung in front of me. In less than 5 minutes - I was forced to brake hard twice. So, I should stop driving because of factors beyond my control
my suggestion for you is to look up what panic stop actually means and take the time to read how cr do their emergency brake tests and how many times they repeat it.
what you did there in your example is none of those, you are just a bad driver with low common sense. maybe slow down a bit, yes?
Old 05-21-18, 04:24 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

my suggestion for you is to look up what panic stop actually means and take the time to read how cr do their emergency brake tests and how many times they repeat it.
what you did there in your example is none of those, you are just a bad driver with low common sense. maybe slow down a bit, yes?
Panic stop, emergency stop, and hard braking. Isn't that another way of saying stomping on the brake really hard from your current speed to zero? Again - you don't have to agree with my point that everyone has their reasons for braking hardly.

Nice. A personal attack on me.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 05-21-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 04:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

uhh...ok.

According to this article they let the brakes cool after each test so they weren't repeated immediately. Once they let them cool overnight before repeating the test for reasons mentioned in the article.

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-report...sla-1826198783

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3