Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18 | 04:06 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a year ago stock was at 310. now it's at 275. genius (for shorts).
true, I guess shorts can have a short laugh for now until 3rd quarter comes along and they are going to get slaughtered.
Old 05-22-18 | 04:07 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Agreed, I can't think of too many recalls involving ABS software. Plus this is not Tesla's first car haven't they figured out a braking system by now?
or maybe they have jermey clarkson types at cr and they just have a strong bias against tesla.
Old 05-22-18 | 05:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Elon seems pretty confident the braking issue can be remedied with an OTA update.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...-over-the-air/
A bit confused by this: how will Elon/Tesla fix a braking issue with OTA update?

They should have thoroughly tested their brakes during production prior to release with the quality team.

Originally Posted by Stormwind
or maybe they have jermey clarkson types at cr and they just have a strong bias against tesla.
Just because CR hasn't gave Tesla a good review in awhile (CR praised the P85D) - doesn't mean its bias against Tesla. The people at CR aren't car enthusiasts - they pretty much just review quality of product. Quality of Tesla products are pretty weak and they are unreliable. If Tesla made their cars like Lexus does, CR would rate them high.

Side note: Jeremy Clarkson is an entertainer. Top Gear and him does everything for laughs/ratings. Tesla sued Top Gear multiple times and lost all of the lawsuit too. This proves their lawsuit held no merit and Elon is just thin-skinned.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 05-22-18 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-22-18 | 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Side note: Jeremy Clarkson is an entertainer. Top Gear and him does everything for laughs/ratings. Tesla sued Top Gear multiple times and lost all of the lawsuit too. This proves their lawsuit held no merit and Elon is just thin-skinned.
Compared to Clarkson, Musk, even with all of his faults, is as thick-skinned as an elephant. Musk, at least, doesn't go around using vulgar language, making fun of people, and punching people he works with in the face if he doesn't agree with them.
Old 05-22-18 | 06:48 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Edmunds found many issues with the Model 3

https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...pril-2018.html
Old 05-22-18 | 07:59 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
A bit confused by this: how will Elon/Tesla fix a braking issue with OTA update?
"Beam it over, Scotty!".

Seriously... Elon Musk claims that the weak braking is a result of bad tweaking of the ABS. Since the ABS is computer software-controlled, he says that by re-tweaking the ABS, and updating the code over-the-air, he can provide stronger braking.

Personally, I believe that Mr. Musk has perfected Star Trek's transporter technology, and from United Federation of Tesla headquarters near San Francisco, he can transport a completely new braking system -- larger disks, stronger calipers and more wear-resistant shoes -- over-the-air to any and all Model 3s as they sit in their owners' driveways.
Old 05-22-18 | 08:26 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Compared to Clarkson, Musk, even with all of his faults, is as thick-skinned as an elephant. Musk, at least, doesn't go around using vulgar language, making fun of people, and punching people he works with in the face if he doesn't agree with them.
In no way I think Clarkson is a good person or thick-skinned. He punched his producer over an issue about food, I believe. On top of that, he makes racist and sexist jokes. I know sometimes being "too PC" is bad, but majority of Clarkson's jokes are taste-less.

Yeah. I do agree with you there. Elon, with all of his faults, won't physically or verbally abuse someone. But I still think hes pretty thin-skinned for suing Top Gear over a nut like Clarkson. It just shows Elon was too thin-skinned and cared about what Clarkson said. I watched Top Gear for laughs, not facts.

Originally Posted by Sulu
"Beam it over, Scotty!".

Seriously... Elon Musk claims that the weak braking is a result of bad tweaking of the ABS. Since the ABS is computer software-controlled, he says that by re-tweaking the ABS, and updating the code over-the-air, he can provide stronger braking.

Personally, I believe that Mr. Musk has perfected Star Trek's transporter technology, and from United Federation of Tesla headquarters near San Francisco, he can transport a completely new braking system -- larger disks, stronger calipers and more wear-resistant shoes -- over-the-air to any and all Model 3s as they sit in their owners' driveways.
He claimed it was a ABS issue? I highly doubt a OTA update to the ABS will fix the Tesla's braking.

I was seriously confused when I saw "Tesla will fix brakes OTA". Next thing we will see from Tesla - Elon will fix ride quality and interior quality with OTA updates.
Old 05-23-18 | 03:21 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Consumer Reports not only blasted the Model 3's brakes but stated the interior design with everything on the 22 inch TV screen was a horrible design. IMO the dash is the ugliest of any car. Can't imagine what a pain and how unsafe to look over to the middle of the dash to see the speedometer.

Tesla's stock is down 20% from it's high. It bonds are now graded junk. It has never come close to making money in any year. In the last four years it has lost over 3 billion. In fifteen years they have never come close to making a profit. Their 15th year was their worst year with a loss of 2 billion. They lost 777 million in the first quarter of 2018. With their 10,000 model 3's in first quarter the 400,000th person on the waiting list will get theirs in 3.3 years. That might be okay however since Consumer Reports ranks them 25th out of 29 in reliability. Hilarious that unreliable and they do not even have an engine and a single speed transmission. Consumer Reports gave the Model X, their over $100,000 SUV, the lowest score in reliability. They listed their ten dogs to avoid based on reliability and the Model X is #1. Tesla owners are like your neighbor who just had to be the first one on the block with a HDTV. The rest waited and bought a much better and more reliable one for a whole lot less. Can't wait until these Model 3's that were rushed out are come back for recalls.
Old 05-23-18 | 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freds430
Can't wait until these Model 3's that were rushed out are come back for recalls.
Rushed out? It's taken the better part of two years to get them built and fill the orders.
Old 05-23-18 | 06:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Consumer Reports not only blasted the Model 3's brakes but stated the interior design with everything on the 22 inch TV screen was a horrible design. IMO the dash is the ugliest of any car. Can't imagine what a pain and how unsafe to look over to the middle of the dash to see the speedometer.
I agree, sadly. I mean what would it have taken to add a large HUD similar to the new one in the 5LS. Does Elon deem HUDs a step backward in terms of tech advancement?
Old 05-23-18 | 09:22 AM
RXSF

lol the minimalistic dash is not why Tesla is struggling. You either like it or you dont. I think its fine.
Old 05-23-18 | 09:43 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I think the Tesla Model 3's design is literally the worst, ugliest, and cheapest design in its class and below its class. With all this talk from Elon trying to make the Model 3 "better" than the competition, hes totally ignoring that his Model 3 interior is simply the worst within its class/outside of its class. There is nothing wrong with a minimalist interior design - if done right - it can look clean and stunning. However - the Model 3 interior just look down right cheap and disgusting.

The Model 3 performance pack will be a joke - a 78K car that will have this interior, an interior that looks like its made for a minus 15K car. It'll literally just be a gimmick with just a quick 0-60 trick.
Old 05-23-18 | 10:16 AM
GS3Tek

The interior is sooooooooooooooo plain and minimal, there's hardly anything to assemble. What's with the hold up on the assembly line?
Old 05-23-18 | 12:12 PM
Stormwind
Racer

what I find funny is cr made no attempt to bring the car in to have it serviced, you figured if something is wrong with a cars braking system a person with common sense would bring it in to have it checked. only a click bait publication would ride it out and make more drama about it.

Old 05-23-18 | 12:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Do we know whether they had it checked in not? They do have their own facility. How about the second car they tested? Did that owner have his checked? It recorded the same stopping distance. In any case, Tesla has announced a fix so there must be something to it.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3