Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 08:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
The commenters in that Ars article say that Tesla has already hit the 200k point, so the the credit drops to $3750 starting January one, then about $1800 in april.
Some folks are saying the tax credit thing was badly designed, it should have been 200k for all manufacturers. But currently, Tesla loses the $7,500 credit but other vendors can still offer the credit on their cars.
$35k price has nothing to do with federal tax rebate... it was price without rebate applied.

If they introduced Model 3 at $50k price like they are selling it today, it would have received much less press and media attention.
Old 07-16-18, 08:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, so you guys complain if the $35K car is on the website but is not available yet.........then you complain they remove the $35K car from the website because its not available yet.
Old 07-16-18, 10:47 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 395 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
LOL, so you guys complain if the $35K car is on the website but is not available yet.........then you complain they remove the $35K car from the website because its not available yet.
Fair point. My thought as to why they may not move forward with producing a $35k car is because I would have expected them to keep it up on the website if you need to place a deposit in order to hold your place in line to get one (no matter how far out production may be). This seemed to be the standard operating procedure for Tesla in the past.
Old 07-16-18, 11:08 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I think what irritates a whole lot of folks is the widespread claim the Model 3 is--finally!--an affordable $35K car! Only it turns out it isn't. It's a $50K car.

I'd imagine Tesla got most of their depositors banking on getting a $35K car and then reaping a very generous set of rebates. Now, poof.
Old 07-16-18, 12:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think what irritates a whole lot of folks is the widespread claim the Model 3 is--finally!--an affordable $35K car! Only it turns out it isn't. It's a $50K car.

I'd imagine Tesla got most of their depositors banking on getting a $35K car and then reaping a very generous set of rebates. Now, poof.
I see what you're saying but the deposit IS 100% refundable...even tho its not speedy.. https://www.wired.com/story/cancelin...timely-refund/
Old 07-16-18, 08:45 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

did anyone actually read the article. Nobody is getting rid of the 35K model. They are just saying its not available yet, as it has always not been available. Nothing has changed in the past year. All of a sudden, they remove the price from the website, and article after article gets written again bringing up every conceivable issue at Tesla for the millionth time.
Old 07-16-18, 09:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Tesla is selling every car they make are they not? People are ragging on Tesla for not making money but are outraged they don't have a $35,000 car yet. I question the motives here.
Old 07-17-18, 12:31 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

The CEO of my company put down the $1000 for the Model 3 two years ago. He recently received an email stating that his Model 3 was ready to be configured. After he configured it with the things he wanted it came out closer to $70k. He then talked to me about it since he knows that i've been following the company for a while...

I told him that I feel the better buy is a low mileage CPO Model S that is maybe 2 - 3 years old that would run between $50-$55k and come with unlimited supercharging. If i were interested in a Tesla, the Model S is the car i'd start with because it has been in production longer and has more or less most of its kinks worked out.

He doesn't want to go the CPO route so he plans on taking back his deposit and maybe waiting for a Model 3 lease because he can't justify buying it for $70k. I'm wondering how many folks will be doing the same and requesting their deposit back at this point...
Old 08-23-18, 02:11 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Quick spin review : Tesla Model 3

My friend just took his delivery of his Model 3. Only options were premium with pano roof. I used to own a Leaf, so am familiar with I took a quick spin at lunch with it and came away more impressed than I originally thought about it. Here's my quick assessment:

Good : Much larger than expected. Great panaromic roof makes interior feel open and airy. Good acceleration from start. Long range BEV to placate charger anxiety. Very quiet interior. Nice alcantara inserts. Great handling with nice weight to the steering. Great tech in the car with vehicle tracking and good boomy audio system.

Bad : Very spartan interior. No HUD for Speedo, Battery, etc. so you have to take your eyes off to the big distracting iPad. Little more road/tire noise than expected.

Ugly : Wheels are hideous! But at least they are somewhat light.

Overall : Exceeded my (admittedly low) expectation of the car. I thought it was a entry level car but is actually decent in interior without feeling low budget like on the Leaf and Bolts. The panaromic roof is a must as it makes the car very futuristic and air feeling. It is also roomier than I thought with it and quiet as well (sans the tire / road noise). Acceleration is brisk, and amazing the handling is great and has a very Bimmer like weight to it. I'm very impressed overall.

Old 08-23-18, 02:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I actually like these, but my OCD would kill me as the only thing interesting to look at in the interior is the big display, which is covered in glare and fingerprints...
Old 08-23-18, 02:38 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The Model 3 would have been so much more appealing with a HUD. C'mon Elon!
Old 08-23-18, 02:41 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Nice. Yeah I also was impressed with the 3's interior when I drove one a few months ago. And it drives nicely - not too numb on the steering, and plenty of power. I like my ICE cars (for the practicality, sound, etc), but my wife is trying to talk me into getting a 3 to replace my IS when my lease is up. We'll see...
Old 08-23-18, 04:39 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't know if you've been following the ups and downs of Tesla, but currently the SEC is doing a serious look into the company and Elon's illegal texts regarding buyouts and such. And the company is not healthy. There is a reason it's heavily shorted on Wall Street.

Also, contrary to the marketing hype, the 3 is not a $35K car. It's a $65K car. But to be fair I need to admit I have not driven it. The notion of an extremely-spartan dash with everything on a giant touch-screen is intriguing, though it sounds like a big step in the wrong direction in that it takes one's eyes off the road for adjusting practically anything.
Old 08-23-18, 05:18 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

The notion of an extremely-spartan dash with everything on a giant touch-screen is intriguing, though it sounds like a big step in the wrong direction in that it takes one's eyes off the road for adjusting practically anything.
This is something I see here quite a bit. Can someone explain to me how this is different than any other car? I drive an LS460 and LX570 which both leverage the exact same nav unit for controlling climate, audio, etc. and I am constantly taking my eyes off the road for a second at a time to make adjustments. When I had an S5 with the central dial to control 75% of adjustments of nav, radio, etc. it was no different. I rent a different car every week for work and am constantly looking away from the road towards the middle of the car to adjust almost everything. I just don't understand why Tesla gets knocked for this. Audi and MB (potentially others) came out with a track pad a few years ago where you could draw a letter with your hand to jump to certain contacts in your phone - yet you always tended to look at the screen (eyes off the road) to make sure it recognized the right letter and then find the appropriate contact...! I just don't get it.
Old 08-23-18, 05:21 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ST430
My friend just took his delivery of his Model 3. Only options were premium with pano roof. I used to own a Leaf, so am familiar with I took a quick spin at lunch with it and came away more impressed than I originally thought about it. Here's my quick assessment:

Good : Much larger than expected. Great panaromic roof makes interior feel open and airy. Good acceleration from start. Long range BEV to placate charger anxiety. Very quiet interior. Nice alcantara inserts. Great handling with nice weight to the steering. Great tech in the car with vehicle tracking and good boomy audio system.

Bad : Very spartan interior. No HUD for Speedo, Battery, etc. so you have to take your eyes off to the big distracting iPad. Little more road/tire noise than expected.

Ugly : Wheels are hideous! But at least they are somewhat light.

Overall : Exceeded my (admittedly low) expectation of the car. I thought it was a entry level car but is actually decent in interior without feeling low budget like on the Leaf and Bolts. The panaromic roof is a must as it makes the car very futuristic and air feeling. It is also roomier than I thought with it and quiet as well (sans the tire / road noise). Acceleration is brisk, and amazing the handling is great and has a very Bimmer like weight to it. I'm very impressed overall.

Good quick review. I'd probably take a look at the Model 3 if I were shopping. I was impressed by the Model S when I test drove one a couple of years ago. The thing with the 3 is I find the styling a bit strange - every time I see one on the road I have the same reaction. Not sure if it will grow on me.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3