Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Even the windshield wipers have to be adjusted through that touchscreen.
Old 09-28-17, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Not sure how a software update can give fm radio... guess the radio hardware is builtin, but fm is on its dying breath anyway with buyers likely to buy a 3.

as for BT streaming, yeah that's needed.
Old 09-28-17, 09:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,032 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Unforgivable and should not be legal.
Old 09-28-17, 09:37 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like apple designed the interface...
Old 09-29-17, 03:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rain-x FTW!
Old 09-29-17, 04:51 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Not sure how a software update can give fm radio... guess the radio hardware is builtin, but fm is on its dying breath anyway with buyers likely to buy a 3.

as for BT streaming, yeah that's needed.
The FM receiver hardware must already be built in. I did some searching and found that many Android smartphones actually have a FM receiver built in but there is no original app provided with the phone to enable FM; you have to find and install an aftermarket FM app.
Old 09-29-17, 05:48 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

^^ FM receiver hardware has to be built in already. It is AM that, like the Model S and X, this model will not have. That mostly has to do with the interference AM frequencies get in cars with a lot of high frequency electronics. Apparently this is an exacerbated issue in EV's. Or maybe Musk just felt the slightly compromised reception quality should be left out from his cars. FM isn't going anywhere anytime soon unless the FCC bans the frequencies. Personally I've always found discovering weird stations on AM on long trips a lot of fun. They will have to enable the bluetooth features before long. And the omission of an aux in jack is rather annoying.

I only find the battery technology, motor, controller and inverter interesting in this car. The styling is OK but the Model S looks much better. The dashboard design makes me gag. A heads up display would have been EASY to offer as a standard feature or option. But Musk doesn't want to do that, oh no. That would emphasize the driver being encouraged to focus on the act of driving and we can't have that, can we? Because then there might enter the possibility that some driver's might think driving is "fun".

I'm waiting to read or watch any review of the production Model 3 that evaluates its steering feel and response.

Overall this vehicle gives me the impression that you're supposed to sit in it and just get around while paying less attention and focus on the act of driving with an emphasis on the Autopilot system. I find that boring and a bit frustrating because as much as I love great internal combustion engines I actually like electric drivetrains when applied to vehicle designs that encourage driver engagement and, dare I suggest it... fun from the act of driving a car.

The limitations of current battery packs aside, it's a car for a certain kind of buyer/owner. I can see a car like this being the 21st century's new Camry.

But considering how easy it is to make the instant torque of an EV car fun to drive, the Model 3 is to me a rather boring and disappointing exercise. 0-60 in 6.5 seconds with instant torque is very good but the way this design seems to de-emphasize the driver's role turns me off. But then again I am not the target audience for this kind of EV.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-29-17 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Agreed. If you are moving fast, and need to turn the wipers on quickly (or increase the speed of them quickly) because of a sudden rainstorm or if your windshield all of a sudden is covered up by big tires splashing stuff on it, that is NOT the time to be fussing and scrolling through menus.

Frankly, I think that the one-swipe/touch feature built into the steering-column stalk is one of the best features ever invented for the modern vehicle...it's instantly right there at your fingertip whenever you need it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 07:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I would hope that they are at least automatic/rain sensing, so they wouldn't need to be accessed frequently.
Old 09-29-17, 08:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,032 Likes on 2,547 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I only find the battery technology, motor, controller and inverter interesting in this car. The styling is OK but the Model S looks much better. The dashboard design makes me gag.
I'm baffled that Elon has gone with such a spartan interior, what's up with that? How could he make such a massive blunder? Or maybe people won't care? I could NEVER own the car because of the interior it's comically bad.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Frankly, I think that the one-swipe/touch feature built into the steering-column stalk is one of the best features ever invented for the modern vehicle...it's instantly right there at your fingertip whenever you need it.
Along those lines it's nice having physical controls especially ones that function silky smooth it connects you with the car. Having nothing to turn, click, move, dial etc. you might as well be using a smartphone. Which I guess is what the 3 is, a snore fest smartphone on wheels.
Old 09-29-17, 08:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would hope that they are at least automatic/rain sensing, so they wouldn't need to be accessed frequently.
I'd be surprised if it didn't have rain sensing wipers. If it does, the screen could default to the wiper/washer screen for quick access for adjustments etc. as soon as they are activated.
Old 09-29-17, 02:40 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I would put money on the idea that next year's version of the 3 will have physical controls for many more functions. In fact, I predict there will be litigation against Tesla where drivers say they were in an accident because the controls were so non-intuitive.

I can fly across the country and jump into virtually any rental car and figure out within seconds how to instinctively operate pretty much anything. Not so apparently with the Model 3.
Old 09-29-17, 03:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

lol

Originally Posted by JDR76
exactly. i've used the physical controls for my car's wipers only a couple of times in 2.5yrs. and i live in rain drenching florida.
Old 09-29-17, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I'm baffled that Elon has gone with such a spartan interior, what's up with that? How could he make such a massive blunder? Or maybe people won't care? I could NEVER own the car because of the interior it's comically bad.

Along those lines it's nice having physical controls especially ones that function silky smooth it connects you with the car.
why have buttons when you don't need them?

Having nothing to turn, click, move, dial etc. you might as well be using a smartphone. Which I guess is what the 3 is, a snore fest smartphone on wheels.
pretty much... maybe the car also has voice recognition for such things so touching the screen isn't necessary. press a command button or maybe it recognizes "all hail elon" then "wipers on" or something.
Old 09-29-17, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've used the physical controls for my car's wipers only a couple of times in 2.5yrs. and i live in rain drenching florida.
People who use Rain-X claim they rarely have to use wipers. I still don't believe in putting filmy substances on glass, though...it can mess up the wiper-blades and cause streaks when you DO need them.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3