Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 08:59 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait for tesla stocks to double once they get model 3s production in check. I stand to benefit a lot from it
Old 01-09-18, 02:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
... I agree with ya, this thing is just ugly... don't care how affordable it is... not even that cheap anyways.... could have made it look so much better inside and outside
toyota sold loads of cheap and ugly priuses.

never underestimate the power of green.
Old 01-09-18, 04:41 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota sold loads of cheap and ugly priuses.

never underestimate the power of green.

Yeap, there's a lot of hippies around... lmao
Old 01-09-18, 05:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

I really dislike the spartan interior but don't think the exterior is ugly at all., Looks really nice to me.
Old 01-10-18, 07:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I really don't get the appeal of Tesla. I understand it is fast and such and...whatever else. Its cheaply made and the company is poorly ran that requires gimmicks and deposits on future promises to stay afloat.
Old 01-11-18, 09:23 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i didnt know the interior looked just as bad.

Model 3 owners accuse Tesla of bait-and-switch on premium interior materials: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/11/...mium-interior/
Old 01-11-18, 09:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla has made a huge mess with the 3 launch.
Old 01-11-18, 10:00 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Saw one at LAX a few weeks ago and that screen is crazy ha ha.
Old 01-11-18, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Tesla has made a huge mess with the 3 launch.
You're surprised by this?
Old 01-11-18, 12:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You're surprised by this?
Not really. I am a bit surprised they are having such severe problem with ramping up production. Quality problems don't surprise me at all it is incredibly difficult to make something that has thousands of parts and not have any of them be defective in some way.

Honestly only Toyota has mastered this on a consistent basis.
Old 01-11-18, 12:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Not really. I am a bit surprised they are having such severe problem with ramping up production. Quality problems don't surprise me at all it is incredibly difficult to make something that has thousands of parts and not have any of them be defective in some way.

Honestly only Toyota has mastered this on a consistent basis.
It helps that Toyota keeps a lot 'in-house' vs outsourcing. Gives them more quality control. Part of the reason Toyota seems to be the tortoise, is they cross their t's and dot their i's before things get released. Slow and steady wins the race

---

Back to Tesla. Appears they may have a bait and switch problem with some of the Tesla 3 interiors:Model 3 owners accuse Tesla of bait-and-switch on premium interior materials

Reservation-holders are starting to get deliveries of their Model 3s at long last, but there's rising ire among some who say that Tesla is swapping out premium interior materials for lower-quality cloth versions on premium trim packages without notice, explanation or any offer to discount the price.

Threads on both the Tesla Motors Club forum and Tesla Reddit page are filled with complaints from owners who say they've taken deliveries of the Model 3 sedan and paid $5,000 for premium upgrade packages but gotten interiors with cloth headliners, door accents, B-pillars and visors when they expected Alcantara. One owner took to Twitter to post photos of what he described as a "mix and match" interior in his new car.

"Tesla better correct it," user void-ninja said in a TMC thread. "Basic cloth is not acceptable in a $5,000 upgrade package when better materials are being specified."

Tesla's website makes no mention of Alcantara as a premium upgrade option for the Model 3, describing only "Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood decor and two rear USBs." But reservation holders said they widely believed the $5,000 PUP package included the premium synthetic material, based on online reviews of the electric car, YouTube videos and other cues, including some of Tesla's own marketing materials and reports from many of the first owners to take delivery.

Said one Reddit user, "if a couple thousand Model 3 owners have Alcantara and now Tesla uses a much less luxurious material surely this is grounds to readjust the PUP price. I get how financially important this car is to them but don't fool me by saying premium touches and ship some textile stuff that a low end GM car has."

It appears Tesla has a new issue to address among its rabid faithful. If you're a PUP reservation holder, you might want to contact your service center.
Source and Instagram picture of lesser quality material
Old 01-11-18, 02:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It helps that Toyota keeps a lot 'in-house' vs outsourcing
True to an extent but how Toyota changed the industry is working closely with OEMs or even partially or fully owning them as subsidiaries. The U.S. auto makers for decades told their suppliers, this is what we need this is how many now make it. If it had quality problems etc. that was the OEMs problem alone.

From what I've read Tesla has the opposite problem they are trying to make too much in house. Part of that may be that OEMs are being heavily pressured not to deal with Tesla.
Old 01-11-18, 05:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Classic Musk. Over promise and then waffle, show boat and under deliver. But that's what you get for buying something sight unseen over the internet. Remember, the guy's an internet entrepeneur. He never actually manufacutured mass production vehicles before this. The fact that all it took was a grand to hold a reservation, well what were people expecting?

It's classic Apple marketing. People line up for something that's going to depreciate when the next one comes out. Only here, you have a problem. You're not making them in China and you don't have massive upscaling to meet demand.

The 3 is a nice looking vehicle and it is really a good performer. But once Musk got involved and micro-managed the mass production process, well that was the end.
Old 01-11-18, 08:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The end? Hyperbole to 11 Tesla will work things out.
Old 01-12-18, 06:37 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Classic Musk. Over promise and then waffle, show boat and under deliver. But that's what you get for buying something sight unseen over the internet. Remember, the guy's an internet entrepeneur. He never actually manufacutured mass production vehicles before this. The fact that all it took was a grand to hold a reservation, well what were people expecting?

It's classic Apple marketing. People line up for something that's going to depreciate when the next one comes out. Only here, you have a problem. You're not making them in China and you don't have massive upscaling to meet demand.

The 3 is a nice looking vehicle and it is really a good performer. But once Musk got involved and micro-managed the mass production process, well that was the end.
Did you mean to say 'classic iHype from iMusk'?

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3