Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oldsmobile Aurora??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 01:33 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

I actually have a reason to bring up this car again lol... I'm on the phone with my uncle and he tells me there's some "interesting" older car on his radar he's thinking about possibly getting as just something else to have... the Oldsmobile Aurora!! in part thanks to the wisdom you all imparted I was able to confidently tell him it's a major pos and to avoid one, since he too found the whole thing oddly appealing and quirky

he called back a few days later and was forced to agree it's not exactly a smart purchase lol... a 1st generation aurora is still very much something I want assuming the jay leno scenario though, i just found it funny how we each separately became interested in this car a few years apart
Old 06-23-19, 02:17 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

My Mom bought a Aurora new & loved it. Ironicly in 1997 I went to work for Caroll Shelby on the Series 1 sport car project. It was sponsored by Oldsmobile at John Rocks request to build the image of Oldsmobile.
It used a modified Aurora engine rated at 320 HP. 249 chassis were completed in 1999 & production stopped due to 2000 YM EPA restrictions.

Old 06-23-19, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
I actually have a reason to bring up this car again lol... I'm on the phone with my uncle and he tells me there's some "interesting" older car on his radar he's thinking about possibly getting as just something else to have... the Oldsmobile Aurora!! in part thanks to the wisdom you all imparted I was able to confidently tell him it's a major pos and to avoid one, since he too found the whole thing oddly appealing and quirky

he called back a few days later and was forced to agree it's not exactly a smart purchase lol... a 1st generation aurora is still very much something I want assuming the jay leno scenario though, i just found it funny how we each separately became interested in this car a few years apart
Honestly. What is fascinating to me is that tonight I saw a Olds Aurora in the parking lot where we went for dinner. It is interesting we see cars that we talk about them on this forum.

Maybe a pos. But it is fun to have dumb stuff sometimes.
Old 06-23-19, 06:26 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Maybe a pos. But it is fun to have dumb stuff sometimes.
that's the motto of the crown vic police interceptor lmao... that thing is like the best pos i could've ever asked for, it's nice to have something cheap that hardly means anything to you that can just be hooned around without fear of any significant financial consequence

the aurora with its FWD couldn't have done the awesome donuts and slides i pulled off with the vic, and since it's rare and "good" i probably wouldn't want to do that stuff anyway with it haha

Old 06-23-19, 06:30 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
My Mom bought a Aurora new & loved it. Ironicly in 1997 I went to work for Caroll Shelby on the Series 1 sport car project. It was sponsored by Oldsmobile at John Rocks request to build the image of Oldsmobile.
It used a modified Aurora engine rated at 320 HP. 249 chassis were completed in 1999 & production stopped due to 2000 YM EPA restrictions.
that's a cool little bit of info thanks for sharing, and yes i imagine that when new it was probably pretty nice
Old 06-23-19, 07:08 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the 1st gen Aurora being a big deal in design when it came out. There was never anything like it before. It was futuristic but not over done. I know I loved it for a while. Obviously we see it very different now so it's easy to make fun of.

Too bad GM didn't put as much effort in the engineering side of it as the design side.
Old 06-23-19, 07:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

that's the motto of the crown vic police interceptor lmao... that thing is like the best pos i could've ever asked for, it's nice to have something cheap that hardly means anything to you that can just be hooned around without fear of any significant financial consequence

the aurora with its FWD couldn't have done the awesome donuts and slides i pulled off with the vic, and since it's rare and "good" i probably wouldn't want to do that stuff anyway with it haha

Is that a video of you ?
Old 06-23-19, 07:30 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is that a video of you ?
no, it's a GIF of me
Old 06-23-19, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

no, it's a GIF of me
GIf. Lol. Figured it was you.
Old 06-23-19, 08:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I remember the 1st gen Aurora being a big deal in design when it came out. There was never anything like it before. It was futuristic but not over done. I know I loved it for a while. Obviously we see it very different now so it's easy to make fun of.

Too bad GM didn't put as much effort in the engineering side of it as the design side.
I remember that. The 1st-generation Aurora, when it came out in 1994, was truly unique, with stand-out styling. The 2nd-generation model, when it came out in 2000, had a somewhat similar front-end but otherwise had gone GM-mainstream and became lost in the crowd.
Old 06-23-19, 08:09 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

I think the smaller version Alero still looks good.
Old 06-23-19, 08:44 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

now those i still see a fair amount of, it'll briefly get my hopes up thinking it might be an aurora but it never is lol
Old 06-23-19, 08:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

now those i still see a fair amount of, it'll briefly get my hopes up thinking it might be an aurora but it never is lol
Olds Intrigue was a nice design IMO
Old 06-29-19, 03:09 PM
nateboussa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mother-In-Law had one but she got rid of it after a few years because she had a bunch of problems with it.

Last edited by nateboussa; 07-02-19 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-29-19, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I remember that. The 1st-generation Aurora, when it came out in 1994, was truly unique, with stand-out styling. The 2nd-generation model, when it came out in 2000, had a somewhat similar front-end but otherwise had gone GM-mainstream and became lost in the crowd.
The 2Gen model was a little smaller. It also introduced downsized a V6 option, a downsized Northstar, called the "Shortstop".

I never liked either version of the Aurora. It was, by my taste, simply too radical a change from the ubiquitous 88s and 98s that had come to define the brand, though I'll admit the Aurora did a better job on the dash...the 88 and 98 had too many identical push-buttons.

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile Aurora??