Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oldsmobile Aurora??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 09:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh yeaaa look at that you joined the site just a few months after this thread last had any activity haha

any particular horror stories or general light you can otherwise shed on what makes them so bad to work on? looks like it was good i never pulled the trigger on one!
It's typical GM issues compounded with horrible access to things due to fail wheel drive and a V8, an underpowered one at that! Same era Chryslers with the 3.5 were faster and the engines point the correct way, there are so many better cars for the time.....

And these days they are just horrible to work on, those and the same gen Taurus are two of my most hated cars to work on. Very prone to fighting and were not well designed in any respect
Old 08-26-23, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not making anything up. I lived through those days, followed them quite closely, and remember them well.
So did I, and so do I. What you’re saying about the appeal of the Aurora is just not true.

Some automotive publications/reviewers also preferred the 2Gen. Of the ones I've seen, a few said it was a much better product, but more of them seemed to say marginally better.
Thw car as a car was better made, but it wasn’t unique at all and made no statement which did Oldsmobile no favors. If you watch Doug’s video about it he discusses that.
Old 08-26-23, 02:58 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's typical GM issues compounded with horrible access to things due to fail wheel drive and a V8, an underpowered one at that! Same era Chryslers with the 3.5 were faster and the engines point the correct way, there are so many better cars for the time.....

And these days they are just horrible to work on, those and the same gen Taurus are two of my most hated cars to work on. Very prone to fighting and were not well designed in any respect
fail wheel drive haha... gonna have to start incorporating that

i think it's another example of GM half-assing something, even nissan used a proper RWD chassis when they launched infiniti... no matter what GM did the aurora was doomed from the start with that platform architecture
Old 08-26-23, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

GM half assing something?! You don't say! lol

To be fair though it was a little less strange in the 80s and 90s. Most luxury cars were FWD and FWD was the "modern" thing to have
Old 08-26-23, 03:30 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

I hated the Oldsmobile Aurora and the Buick Riviera of the same era. They both had weird looking rear ends that were hideous.

Old 08-26-23, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Both cars had positive impacts on their brands though.

When you make something some people love, some people also hate it.
Old 08-26-23, 04:05 PM
LH1
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Both cars had positive impacts on their brands though.
The Aurora didn't. Olds doesn't exist. Buick still exists as a non-competitive fledgling tier 3 luxury brand.

Two odd looking cars from the late 90's/00's didn't help either brand.

When you make something some people love, some people also hate it.
I guess people loved the Bangle designed 5 and 7 series? They were everywhere. I hated them. Ugly as hell then and now.

Last edited by LH1; 08-26-23 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 04:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I actually liked the first gen Aurora but not the 2nd.

Around that time, my parents traded in their ‘89 Camry and bought a new ‘94 Cutlass Supreme. Tons of features, reasonably strong V6, and comfortable. By the time it had 30k miles on it my mom was done. Having it towed out of the driveway when it died was the last straw, so they traded it in (‘95 Camry) and never went back to GM.
Old 08-26-23, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I hated the Oldsmobile Aurora and the Buick Riviera of the same era. They both had weird looking rear ends that were hideous.
First, the Aurora and Riviera did not directly compete....they were aimed at different buyers. The Olds Toronado coupe (when in production) was a more direct competitor to the Riviera.

Second, weird-looking and controversial rear ends were nothing new to the Riviera. Remember this?..............

Old 08-26-23, 05:08 PM
LH1
Instructor

weird-looking and controversial rear ends were nothing new to the Riviera. Remember this?..............
Born in 1981, so no memory of that. The picture you posted is way better looking than a late 90's Riviera.
Old 08-26-23, 05:27 PM
LH1
Instructor

First, the Aurora and Riviera did not directly compete....they were aimed at different buyer.
You might be right. I just associate those 2 with each other like peanut butter and jelly. Mostly the hideous rear ends.

They were both crappy, weird looking GM products from the late 90's/00's.
Old 08-26-23, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
The Aurora didn't. Olds doesn't exist. Buick still exists as a non-competitive fledgling tier 3 luxury brand.

The Aurora did help Oldsmobile it was just too little too late.

I guess people loved the Bangle designed 5 and 7 series? They were everywhere. I hated them. Ugly as hell then and now.
They were some of the best selling versions of those models ever, so clearly yeah people did.
Old 08-27-23, 04:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

I like them a lot, the 5 in particular is a great look.
Old 08-27-23, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Yep, good point....although at least some of Buick's existence can be attributed to its popularity in China, where it is considered a status symbol.

I agree with you that they were, IMO, disagreeable in many ways. Not only did they introduce the famous "Bangle-Butt" trunk-lid, but the (then) complex and difficult-to-use I-Drive system. They also lost a lot of their solid exterior sheet-metal and door-solidness compared to previous generations. You could tell from the sound and feel of door-closings.
Old 08-27-23, 08:40 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats not what he said. The previous product he talked about were Oldsmobiles before the Aurora. The Aurora was not a poor product, it was a very well regarded product that sold pretty well and got Oldsmobile a lot of attention.

NO auto reviewer or journalist preferred the second gen Aurora. You like it because it’s more mainstream and you like mainstream stuff and don’t like change.

Lots of people who bought Lincoln’s and foreign luxury cars in the 90s looked at Auroras. When I was a kid at our country club there were probably a dozen Auroras, and you would never have seen another Oldsmobile there. My dad considered an Aurora beside the Continental, Seville STS and Lexus LS400 in 1995 and that would never have happened with any other Oldsmobile. A couple of the salespeople executives at his company also had Auroras who would never have considered an Oldsmobile.
I didn’t have the energy to correct him. You interpreted my post correctly.

Quick Reply: Oldsmobile Aurora??