Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pictures of the most interesting or vulgar car you ever owned . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 07:01 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My father also had a Cadillac Fleetwood but it was triple red. Metallic red paint, vinyl top and leather all in red. He and my mother used to take it on road trips across the country. His aunt owned a funeral home, it was one of their cars and she sold it to him when she got too old to drive.

He also had a '91 Lexus LS400, so I encouraged him to sell the Cadillac because he was getting older and it was too hard to maneuver. Plus, in the early 90's it looked like a "pimp car". He met someone at a gas station that wanted to buy the Cadillac. She had a Cadillac DeVille Coupe and was looking for a sedan in pristine shape. She wrote him a check, he sold it to her and she drove it home.

I would classify it as interesting and vulgar at the same time.:D
Not sure if I would classify it as vulgar, interesting yes, not vulgar.. LOL

In 1986 my father gave the Fleetwood to my mom and traded her 82 Town Car for a MK Vll LSC, that was a fun car at the time. He kept that car for approx 7 years (a record for him) and 155K mostly trouble free miles believe it or not..

Only major thing that went wrong was the air suspension started leaking around 120K miles. So on cold mornings you would go outside and the car would be sitting on the ground. It would take approx 15 mins for the compressor to bring it back up..

Last edited by JT4; 04-13-16 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-13-16, 07:54 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Not sure if I would classify it as vulgar, interesting yes, not vulgar.. LOL

In 1986 my father gave the Fleetwood to my mom and traded her 82 Town Car for a MK Vll LSC, that was a fun car at the time. He kept that car for approx 7 years (a record for him) and 155K mostly trouble free miles believe it or not..

Only major thing that went wrong was the air suspension started leaking around 120K miles. So on cold mornings you would go outside and the car would be sitting on the ground. It would take approx 15 mins for the compressor to bring it back up..
I classify anything that large as vulgar. That includes the current Escalade, Navigator, Tahoe, etc. No one NEEDS a vehicle that large when there are so many other vehicles that offer equivalent room in a smaller package. And yes, I detest the soccer moms with one child who drive GMC Denalis and take 10 minutes to BACK THEM INTO A PARKING SPACE while everyone else waits in line.
Old 04-14-16, 05:20 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

I classify anything that large as vulgar. That includes the current Escalade, Navigator, Tahoe, etc. No one NEEDS a vehicle that large when there are so many other vehicles that offer equivalent room in a smaller package. And yes, I detest the soccer moms with one child who drive GMC Denalis and take 10 minutes to BACK THEM INTO A PARKING SPACE while everyone else waits in line.
I get it, well in that case the Fleetwood would qualify...

IMO I consider something ugly as vulgar, so for me a Pontiac Aztek is VULGAR..

Last edited by JT4; 04-14-16 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 07:02 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JT4
I get it, well in that case the Fleetwood would qualify...

IMO I consider something ugly as vulgar, so for me a Pontiac Aztek is VULGAR..
Okay, a Pontiac Aztek is vulgar. A Chevy Tahoe for a family of 3 is crass.
Old 04-15-16, 05:04 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, a Pontiac Aztek is vulgar. A Chevy Tahoe for a family of 3 is crass.
LOL...
Old 04-15-16, 08:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JT4
LOL...
From one coupe owner to another!
Old 04-15-16, 09:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
one of the best cars i have owned was my 86 mr2 which i just sold last sunday. another is the sc400 i just bought a month ago.the other one is my ls430.
i have owned some bad ones too.like a 93 eagle vision.77 corvette. a couple of pictures of my cars.
How much did you sell that 1986 MR2 for??? And how many miles/condition??? I've been thinking of buying a 1st gen MR2 or a Miata, finding a nice MR2 is pretty damn hard, as most of them have been ragged out and crushed, or are ragged out and about 2 steps away from the boneyard. Age and lower production numbers have made them a hard find, you can find plenty of nice Miatas for my $5000-7000 budget. Anyways, I love your car, especially that bright blue paint. So sick of seeing all these high dollar Lambos, Astons, Benzes etc being painted black, silver, or grey, damn give me some eye seering colors again.

Anyways, if you think big cars are vulgar, I also had a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood for a while. Didn't go for the "Brougham" option, as that gave you an IMO ugly vinyl roof that didn't compliment the lines of the car. It had 50k miles on it when I bought it 6 years ago, spent some money on speed parts including the pictured Impala SS wheels, 3.73 gears with a posi-track, cold air intake, headers, deleted cat converters, and high flow mufflers. It wasn't too obnoixously loud unless I stepped on it. It straight up moved for a car that was longer than a Suburban, ran a 14.1@96mph in the quarter. The LT1 V8 in it was a great motor, just gobs of low end torque. Main thing it was a great cruiser if you weren't hauling *** in it, extremely quiet, great ride, comfortable seats.

Old 04-15-16, 11:33 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm kind of an anti-pickup truck guy. So when I actually do need one every few years for a home renovation project, i give absolutely no heed to the looks of it because to me it is 100% utility.

Green on green or skin tone w/ racing stripes? You make the call!
Attached Thumbnails Pictures of the most interesting or vulgar car you ever owned . . .-dodge-truck.jpg   Pictures of the most interesting or vulgar car you ever owned . . .-tacoma.jpg  
Old 04-15-16, 11:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by liazon
I'm kind of an anti-pickup truck guy. So when I actually do need one every few years for a home renovation project, i give absolutely no heed to the looks of it because to me it is 100% utility.

Green on green or skin tone w/ racing stripes? You make the call!
Hey those were nice, clean trucks compared to my pos trash hauler I had for 6 years. Spent money on it with a new clutch, brakes, exhaust, radiator, water pump, and fixed a bit of the front end damage, but she was still an unkillable, ugly old pos with broken a/c. Bought it from a co-worker, it was his mentally ill wife's truck. She had committed suicide about a year after I bought it. I didn't ask why it had been run into a ditch, or why it was painted mostly with flat black house paint(you can see the brush marks). Figured she was off her meds and didn't really want to touch on that subject. Anyways, sold it to some kid last week needing a truck to cut grass, said his lawnmower was worth more than the truck lol. Still sold it for more than double what I paid for it though.

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-15-16 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-16-16, 12:12 AM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

that has to be the saddest truck i've ever seen. you win!
Old 04-16-16, 04:43 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
LOL.. It's the truck version of this --->

-Mike
Old 04-16-16, 07:49 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts

i think its interesting that my first car i had was a 69 dodge charger rt that had the 440 magnum that i paid $1700 in 1975 with 40k miles would cost upwards of $100k today.
Old 04-16-16, 03:20 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think its interesting that my first car i had was a 69 dodge charger rt that had the 440 magnum that i paid $1700 in 1975 with 40k miles would cost upwards of $100k today.
In 2008 I sold a matching #s 1958 Porsche 356 Speedster. Original Black w Red interior. Damn near show condition, perfect gaps, never hit, never wrecked, only one small patch in the battery box.

FACTORY Super engine, FACTORY Rudge knockoff wheels.

I thought $125,000 was ALL the money.
Old 04-16-16, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I grew up in the 60s Muscle-Car era, and remember the original Charger R/T well (mechanically, under the body, it was the same drivetrains and running gear/chassis the Dodge Coronet Super Bee / Charger Daytona, and Plymouth Road Runner / Superbird / GTX...though the Daytona and Superbird, of course, had the wedge-front-ends and high wings on the back.

Though some people will pay almost anything for antique cars today or to relive their youth, I think it should be pointed out (as I'm sure you know) that you can get a brand new Charger SRT-8 today, with a modern Hemi, that will blow the doors off even the 440 Six-Packs and 425 HP / 490 ft-lbs. torque dual-quad-carb Hemis of the late 60s. Even more power, if desired, is available in todays 707 HP Hellcat versions. And one can even get some of the same pastel and bright circus-colors that were available on late-60s Dodge/Plymouth muscle-cars. The only thing about today's Charger is that you have to live with 4 doors instead of two.....but if that is really an issue, then just march down to the other end of the showroom and check out a Challenger. Another far better feature of today's Charger/Challenger is the much better way they are built. Chrysler products of that late 60s era, except for their generally durable engines and TorqueFlite automatic transmissions, were notorious rattle-and-squeak specials that were only partially-assembled at the plants......once they rolled out of the factory, reached the dealership, and were delivered to customers, they needed an endless amount of repairs, re-work, and adjustments to bring them up to the level of what should have been done at the factory in the first place.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-16 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-16-16, 10:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I grew up in the 60s Muscle-Car era, and remember the original Charger R/T well (mechanically, under the body, it was the same drivetrains and running gear/chassis the Dodge Coronet Super Bee / Charger Daytona, and Plymouth Road Runner / Superbird / GTX...though the Daytona and Superbird, of course, had the wedge-front-ends and high wings on the back.

Though some people will pay almost anything for antique cars today or to relive their youth, I think it should be pointed out (as I'm sure you know) that you can get a brand new Charger SRT-8 today, with a modern Hemi, that will blow the doors off even the 440 Six-Packs and 425 HP / 490 ft-lbs. torque dual-quad-carb Hemis of the late 60s. Even more power, if desired, is available in todays 707 HP Hellcat versions. And one can even get some of the same pastel and bright circus-colors that were available on late-60s Dodge/Plymouth muscle-cars. The only thing about today's Charger is that you have to live with 4 doors instead of two.....but if that is really an issue, then just march down to the other end of the showroom and check out a Challenger. Another far better feature of today's Charger/Challenger is the much better way they are built. Chrysler products of that late 60s era, except for their generally durable engines and TorqueFlite automatic transmissions, were notorious rattle-and-squeak specials that were only partially-assembled at the plants......once they rolled out of the factory, reached the dealership, and were delivered to customers, they needed an endless amount of repairs, re-work, and adjustments to bring them up to the level of what should have been done at the factory in the first place.
Of course the new cars are faster and better built, there has been almost 50 years since those dinosaurs rolled off the line. But you don't buy old cars for that reason, you buy them because they look cool and have a certain feel to them that you aren't going to get in a new car. And if you do want to go fast, you can build an old Chrysler big block or Hemi and stick it in the 1969 Charger and run circles around the new stuff, sky(and your wallet) is the limit in the aftermarket world.

Quick Reply: Pictures of the most interesting or vulgar car you ever owned . . .