Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model S Refreshed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 11:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,526 Posts

Well it's unique, I think I like it.
Old 09-29-16, 12:13 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

New Tesla S looks really really good, great aesthetic improvement.

I really wanted a model S as my next car but their interior refinement is not very impressive.

Last edited by G Star; 09-29-16 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-02-16, 03:58 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesla Model S Crashes Into Gym; Driver Blames The Car, Tesla Says Otherwise

Remember the Tesla Model X that purportedly accelerated on its own back in June and crashed into building? Well, it seems that another accident is mirroring that one, only this time it involves a Model S.

Captured on a surveillance camera, the footage posted by Electrek shows the driver moving slowly to park in front of the gym, in Lighthouse Point, Florida, right before the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the front door.

The driver's husband explained the entire incident in a post on Tesla's forum, which has been removed since then: "I have owned several Model S Teslas and currently own 1 P85D and 1 P90D. Recently, my wife experienced a near fatal accident when she was slowly parking at her gym. The car violently exploded into full acceleration and could have easily killed people in the gym."

Electrek has reached out to Tesla Motors and the automaker states that after reviewing the logs, the accelerator pedal was pressed during the crash. In response, the Model S owner wrote:

"I am amazed and wildly disappointed by the way Tesla has handled this and their complete unwillingness to even talk to me about it. Of course, they immediately blamed it on the driver and claimed their online computer tells them that", admitting that "it is possible that there could have been driver error, but we do not feel that is what has occurred and wanted to have it looked further into."
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/tes...ym-driver.html

Old 10-02-16, 04:02 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
New Tesla S looks really really good, great aesthetic improvement.

I really wanted a model S as my next car but their interior refinement is not very impressive.
I've been a huge fan of the Model S since it released back in 2012. Finally picked one up last week. Absolutely love the car.

My car has the Premium interior upgrade package, but would agree that it's interior is hard to describe as "luxurious". But I'm a fan of the hi-tech and modern feel.

Name:  20160922_142523.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  124.4 KB

​​​​​​Name:  20160922_142550.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  126.0 KB
Old 10-02-16, 06:43 PM
dknn
Rookie

I also picked up a Model S last week during the Q3 push. I never drove one until last Monday. My buddy came along too and we both put a deposit down that day (mine is red, his is midnight gray). We took delivery on Thursday. I've driven electric cars since 2012 starting with my Volt. I then leased a Leaf and now I have this. It is difficult to go back to an ICE vehicle after driving electric. The interior is premium enough and competes well with my latest generation Porsche Cayenne.

The only other cars I would have cross shopped the Tesla is either a S class or Porsche 911. While I am still a Lexus fan and still own one, there is nothing Lexus offers right now that is interesting.

Old 10-02-16, 08:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dknn
I also picked up a Model S last week during the Q3 push. I never drove one until last Monday. My buddy came along too and we both put a deposit down that day (mine is red, his is midnight gray). We took delivery on Thursday. I've driven electric cars since 2012 starting with my Volt. I then leased a Leaf and now I have this. It is difficult to go back to an ICE vehicle after driving electric. The interior is premium enough and competes well with my latest generation Porsche Cayenne.

The only other cars I would have cross shopped the Tesla is either a S class or Porsche 911. While I am still a Lexus fan and still own one, there is nothing Lexus offers right now that is interesting.

Was the buying experience good?
Old 10-02-16, 09:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I've been a huge fan of the Model S since it released back in 2012. Finally picked one up last week. Absolutely love the car.

My car has the Premium interior upgrade package, but would agree that it's interior is hard to describe as "luxurious". But I'm a fan of the hi-tech and modern feel.

​​​​​​
wow congrats man!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-16, 03:11 PM
dknn
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Was the buying experience good?
It was the easiest car purchase I've experienced. Everything was pretty much completed online. I only signed like 3 docs and clicked accept on the tesla website. The longest part was going over the features of the vehicle. There was no pressure to buy anything or a visit to the finance office.
Old 10-03-16, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dknn
It was the easiest car purchase I've experienced. Everything was pretty much completed online. I only signed like 3 docs and clicked accept on the tesla website. The longest part was going over the features of the vehicle. There was no pressure to buy anything or a visit to the finance office.
That is pretty cool to hear.
Old 10-03-16, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congratulations.

I'd guess that, with an all-electric drive train, there is no formal break-in procedure, though even today's gas vehicles generally require much less of one than in the past. Still, there might (?) be come comments in the Owner's Manual about taking it easy on the regenerative braking system for awhile.
Old 10-04-16, 09:07 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow congrats man!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Henry! Hope all is well my friend.

I considered the GS-F and E63 for a brief moment, but the HOV sticker makes my daily commute so much easier. I do miss the sounds of a sweet exhaust note though. The E63 was music to my ears during my test drive...simply intoxicating.

However, one big perk of driving the Model S is that my office is near a Tesla Supercharging station. So I can get a full charge while grabbing lunch.
Old 10-04-16, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Thanks Henry! Hope all is well my friend.

I considered the GS-F and E63 for a brief moment, but the HOV sticker makes my daily commute so much easier. I do miss the sounds of a sweet exhaust note though. The E63 was music to my ears during my test drive...simply intoxicating.

However, one big perk of driving the Model S is that my office is near a Tesla Supercharging station. So I can get a full charge while grabbing lunch.
jay there is a reason why i refuse to test drive the e63/cls63, addicting doesn't describe it. honestly i think it sounds much better than the gsf

the HOV sticker is definitely nice, i thought about it, too bad in my drive at the orange clash, HOV sticker doesn't help one bit (actually makes it worse) so that took away big incentive to get tesla
Old 10-04-16, 09:14 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

That new front end looks great in person.

I test drove a new one 2 weeks ago....love the instant acceleration on that thing!

The regen. braking feels so weird though (my first time driving any electric car).
Old 10-05-16, 07:57 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Tesla P85-Powered Kit Car Clocks 10.1 Second Quarter Mile

Teslas are quick. In fact, the Model S P100D is the fastest acceleratingproduction car currently on the market.

So when an enthusiast in Canada decided to make a kit car powered by a Tesla electric motor, the results were always going to be rather spectacular.

While the exterior of the car in question is nothing special, its drivetrain is. Power comes from the electric motor of a Model S P85 joined by two Chevrolet Bolt battery packs mounted in parallel to create about 32 kWh of juice.

Onto the drag strip and equipped with drag radial tires, this setup means the kit car sprints down the quarter mile in just 10.1 seconds. Remarkably, the tuning company behind the model says that, on a warmer track and with better traction, a 9-second pass is achievable.

To put the car's quarter mile into perspective, the fastest quarter mile time recorded by a Tesla Model S P100D is 10.8 seconds. If the car does reach the 9 second mark, it will join elite company alongside the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 Spyder.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/tes...locks-101.html

Old 10-05-16, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
That new front end looks great in person.

I test drove a new one 2 weeks ago....love the instant acceleration on that thing!

The regen. braking feels so weird though (my first time driving any electric car).
the other electics aren't as aggressive on regen brakes. tesla really use it to the max. it feels weird in the beginning but if you think about it, that's really the right way to be efficient on these cars. once you adapt to the driving, you wouldn't need to use brakes much at all

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Refreshed