Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In the name of cost cutting

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 04:18 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
GM hasn't always done this. Here's my old '98 TBSS that should have had dual exhaust. People that were modding to dual, had to be creative with cutting out the opening.

I'm afraid GM didn't have anything THAT nice in 1998.

2006-2009 were the years the TBSS was offered.
Old 05-09-16, 05:05 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Sorry, but this is ignorance rather than cost cutting. You could press a button and the speedometer needle would switch from mph to the right kph equivalent. My friend had a hand-me-down first-gen SRX and I'd play that trick on her all the time. The Malibu of that same time frame had the same feature.
Lol darn. What a pointless feature though, it solves a problem which never existed.

Speaking of window switches, the Tesla Model S' are straight out of the Mercedes parts bin, as is their column-mounted shifter. Have to cut costs somewhere with that expensive battery technology.

That new little Infiniti compact hatchback (Q30?) also uses the exact same window controls from the Mercedes parts bin.
Old 05-09-16, 08:11 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Have you ever seen cost cutting measures applied by car makers that just does not sound or look right? I have one, and everytime I see it, it proves why GM is such a failure.

I approached from behind and to the right, a Malibu of that same generation this afternoon, and noticed that it had only a single exhaust, on the left-hand side and NO cutout for an exhaust tip on the right-hand side.

So what happened in this picture -- the RHS exhaust pipe fall off?
Old 05-09-16, 08:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I approached from behind and to the right, a Malibu of that same generation this afternoon, and noticed that it had only a single exhaust, on the left-hand side and NO cutout for an exhaust tip on the right-hand side.

So what happened in this picture -- the RHS exhaust pipe fall off?
Car was rear ended. 4 cylinder car with 1 exhaust outlet, V6 bumper slapped on with double exhaust outlet, that's my best guess other than GM being dumb and that's the way it came from the factory.
Old 05-09-16, 09:04 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Lol darn. What a pointless feature though, it solves a problem which never existed.

Speaking of window switches, the Tesla Model S' are straight out of the Mercedes parts bin, as is their column-mounted shifter. Have to cut costs somewhere with that expensive battery technology.

That new little Infiniti compact hatchback (Q30?) also uses the exact same window controls from the Mercedes parts bin.
I actually dug that feature.
Old 05-09-16, 10:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Car was rear ended. 4 cylinder car with 1 exhaust outlet, V6 bumper slapped on with double exhaust outlet, that's my best guess other than GM being dumb and that's the way it came from the factory.
That's exactly what happened. So this pic and thread is a bit unfair to GM.

The current Camry and Accord have built subtle rear difusers that would accept a dual exhaust if optioned. Without the dual exhaust, one can barely tell there is still a slight notch there on the bottom of the bumper. I find this to be a fair and tolerable compromise that most people would never notice.

What's more of an annoyance is some of these cars, like the Camry, include a pretty chrome exhaust tip, but it's shoved so far in that you cannot see it unless you are well behind the vehicle. Not only does it get lost that far in, but no one ever bothers to clean it because it's so buried. Waste.
Old 05-10-16, 05:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I'm afraid GM didn't have anything THAT nice in 1998.

2006-2009 were the years the TBSS was offered.
Yep! Seems like forever ago. It was actually the first year (2006). I was thinking it was 2008, but that's when I dumped it. It ran on premium and got 14mpg. Premium was around $4.40/gal and I was spending over $500/mo just commuting back and forth to work!
Old 05-10-16, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In my first post, forgot to mention one other annoying cost-cutting feature that was used on the former Saturn Ion, some current and older Scions, older versions of Toyota Echo/Yaris, the Ford-powered Panoz roadster, and some older Nissan Quest minivans...the center-stack dashboard. The Saturn people (see the image below) tried to convince us, at auto shows, that it was done for safety and legibility reasons (to keep the rim of the steering wheel from blocking driver-sight of the gauges).

That's B.S. Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that it is purely a cost-cutting measure....designed to cut down on the number of parts needed for different dash-panels in left-hand vs. right-hand-drive markets, and to make the dash/gauge installations simpler. Once the public got wise to it, and started complaing, most manufacturers, on most vehicles, have returned to conventional gauge-placement behind the wheel, though, in some cases, like with Honda Civics, with two-tier layers.

Old 05-10-16, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Saturn people (see the image below) tried to convince us, at auto shows, that it was done for safety and legibility reasons (to keep the rim of the steering wheel from blocking driver-sight of the gauges).

That's B.S. Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that it is purely a cost-cutting measure....designed to cut down on the number of parts needed for different dash-panels in left-hand vs. right-hand-drive markets
This logic doesn't make sense. The center pod is angled towards the driver, so if its a RHD vs LHD vehicle the entire dashboard still has to be different, this doesn't save any cost over a typical instrument cluster layout.
Old 05-10-16, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This logic doesn't make sense. The center pod is angled towards the driver, so if its a RHD vs LHD vehicle the entire dashboard still has to be different, this doesn't save any cost over a typical instrument cluster layout.
The angle of the gauges can be tilted either way, but the dash itself is basically one large unit with a big hole cut out in the middle. One of the best examples of that was the older Nissan Quest.

Old 05-10-16, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

But you still need to develop two dash pads, one with the hole for the steering column and other driver controls on one side and glove box on one side, and then reversed for the steering on the other side. This is an example of carmakers trying to be a little bit different not really cost cutting.
Old 05-10-16, 01:33 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That's exactly what happened. So this pic and thread is a bit unfair to GM.

The current Camry and Accord have built subtle rear difusers that would accept a dual exhaust if optioned. Without the dual exhaust, one can barely tell there is still a slight notch there on the bottom of the bumper. I find this to be a fair and tolerable compromise that most people would never notice.

What's more of an annoyance is some of these cars, like the Camry, include a pretty chrome exhaust tip, but it's shoved so far in that you cannot see it unless you are well behind the vehicle. Not only does it get lost that far in, but no one ever bothers to clean it because it's so buried. Waste.
That or at a certain point in time, they must be running short of the single exhaust bumpers, and instead of stopping production, they continued with the dual exhaust bumpers.
Old 05-10-16, 01:43 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
That or at a certain point in time, they must be running short of the single exhaust bumpers, and instead of stopping production, they continued with the dual exhaust bumpers.
That could very well be. They do work on just in time delivery. That or the parts not being sequenced properly before shipped. Then the guy on the line didn't notice or didn't care.
Old 05-10-16, 02:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Bumpers and trim generally do not change on cars in the middle of production. Only redesigns and facelifts yield different pieces.

The story with Saturn's central gauge pod came from the company wanting to be different. It was listed as that in press releases, along with the plastic door panels and unique buying experience.
Old 05-10-16, 02:01 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Speaking of GM, cost cutting, and exhaust setups, they drove me nuts with the 3rd gen and 4th gen fbody(Camaro/Trans Am) exhaust setup. I had a couple of these cars, they came from the factory with a single exhaust setup(one muffler with two exits to make it look like a dual exhaust). GM designed the floor pan, rear suspension, heck the whole car to make it extremely difficult to install an aftermarket dual exhaust with an x or h pipe, which makes the car sound so much better(that's the setup Mustangs use). Granted you can get good flow numbers with a single exhaust setup on these cars, but they just do not sound as good as a dual exhaust, especially if you do long tube headers and get rid of the cat converters.
First of all, I have to say it's damn nice to see others' commentary about exhaust fails. Thought I was the only one who cares about this stuff. Most folks don't give one thought to it and car makers mostly treat it as an afterthought. Frustrating.
Aron9000-I had a '79 Malibu coupe with that same exhaust-got real duals the first week I had it.
But worse yet, Lexus did this with my 4RX. Single all the way through the cats, two mufflers but the second one has the dual outs into those nice diffusers. On top of this, if you look at that pipe as it goes underneath the rear suspension, it is restricted even more by a flat spot bend they made I guess for clearance. They didn't need to do that! What did it save-an inch? I assume that this system is well thought out for that 292HP v6 that needs to breath out. My opinion is they could've had dual cats and true duals all the way into the final muffler that would have dual outs with resonators for what we paid for this vehicle. I think they cut a corner with this exhaust system and I think that pipe hanging under the rearend looks like crap from behind and screams FAKE DUALS!!!

Quick Reply: In the name of cost cutting