Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In the name of cost cutting

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 02:07 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Have you ever seen cost cutting measures applied by car makers that just does not sound or look right? I have one, and everytime I see it, it proves why GM is such a failure.
Not sure what I'm looking at. Is it the blandness?
Old 05-10-16, 02:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Not sure what I'm looking at. Is it the blandness?
Missing right tailpipe but still putting the opening there.
Old 05-10-16, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The story with Saturn's central gauge pod came from the company wanting to be different. It was listed as that in press releases, along with the plastic door panels and unique buying experience.
Well, like I mentioned earlier, that's what they said in public...on the Ion, they tried to pass the center-stack gauges off as a safety move....for gauge-visibility. I know some opinions here may differ, but I'm not convinced. To me it screams simplicity and cost-cutting.

The thermoplastic panels, though, and the unique spin-off transmission filter were excellent ideas. I owned a 1999 Saturn SL2 that I loved (after they had quieted the 1.9L four down after the noisy early-90s models). Those plastic side-panels did cost the company extra, but they shrugged off dents, dings, and corrosion like no sheet-metal panels possibly can. They could also be attached and detached from the car's space-frame rather easily by undoing a few clips. One of the older Saturn tricks at auto shows was for a Saturn rep to beat the side of the car with a baseball bat, or to kick a soccer-ball into it at high speed....and show everyone how it is dent-proof.

The only flies in the ointment with them were that they weren't particularly well soundproofed on the road, the fact that the special, mirror-like waterborne paint jobs (which allowed the paint to flex back and forth with the panels) could be easily damaged even if the panels themselves couldn't, and the wide panel-gaps needed for expansion/contraction of the plastic palls in heat and cold.

Inside the SL-series, though there was, or course, a lot of plastic, the only real sign of cost-cutting was the cheap round plastic horn-buttons on the steering wheel spokes instead of a proper horn-pad in the middle.
Old 05-10-16, 05:03 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From my own experience:
08 Lexus IS250: The leather in the rear side panels is not the same as in the front side panels. Actually it's not even leather, just some material that imitates it. I missed that during my inspection of the car, and if i didn't, i would probably not be driving a Lexus now.

Also not to long ago i got a 2016 IS300 loaner, and noticed that the passenger seat is now only an 8-way adjustable seat, whereas 2nd gen offered 10-way adjustable seats for both, a driver and a passenger.
Old 05-10-16, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To me it screams simplicity and cost-cutting.
Doesn't make sense. The dash still needs two molds for LHD and RHD. On cars with the IP in front of the steering wheel they reuse the same IP regardless of what side its on...whether the mold is a small change or a major change, the cost to design and press two molds is the same.
Old 05-10-16, 07:58 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Doesn't make sense. The dash still needs two molds for LHD and RHD. On cars with the IP in front of the steering wheel they reuse the same IP regardless of what side its on...whether the mold is a small change or a major change, the cost to design and press two molds is the same.
Was the Saturn Ion even offered in a RHD version?
Old 05-10-16, 09:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I doubt it...
Old 05-11-16, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Any of them that were sold in the British/Australian/Japanese markets, of course, would have been RHD. Saturn DID, in the 1990s, offer a RHD version of the SL-series wagon for postal-use by mail-carriers (I remember it), but I couldn't find any hard statistics either way on whether the Ion also offered one....perhaps not, because the Ion did not have a wagon-version.
Old 05-11-16, 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Any of them that were sold in the British/Australian/Japanese markets, of course, would have been RHD.
But the Ion was never sold in any of these markets. It was made exclusively in the US and sold only in North America as far as I can find. So since they didn't manufacture a RHD version the center gauge pod was clearly not to reduce costs when manufacturing a RHD dashboard

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-11-16 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 07:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Some of that stuff is a little dubious. Especially "higher quality waterfall dashboard layout". Going to a horizontal style dashboard and away from a vertical style dashboard is not a cost cutting or quality measure lol, it's simply a styling choice.

The "damped ashtray" is gone because the car no longer has an ashtray at all, which no Lexus has and many other cars don't have either. Most people don't smoke anymore.

The location and integration of the start button is again not a cost cutting measure, it's an ergonomic and styling choice.

The 3IS is a really different feel than the 2IS, but IMHO a lot of that is made up for with a much better platform that results in a car that's a lot better to drive.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-11-16 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-11-16, 08:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
In regards to the 3IS, anyone can easily see that the penny pinchers at Lexus had it completely their way.
All missing features & detail from 2IS,

Blue LED interior lighting > gone
Unique grey or maple birds eye wood veneer > gone
Damped cup holder cover > gone
Damped ash tray > gone
Neat LED light in central compartment > gone
Very high quality & colour contrasting lower door panel > gone
Retractable door pockets > gone
Higher quality leather > gone
Substantially nicer looking and higher quality "waterfall" dashboard layout > gone
Better positioned and higher quality engine starter button with indicator light > gone
Smoother shaped and fully colour coded side view mirrors > gone
Felt lined wheel wells to reduce road noise > gone
Engine covers, insulating noise and contributing to a buttoned down appearance > gone
Lighter & flimsier doors without that distinct Lexus thud
and most importantly a weaker sound system
While I don't agree with your total list - for example you can still get wood trim, and I see the removal of engine covers as a good thing, not a bad one, you do have some valid points, such as the loss of interior LED lighting. Many of the things you cited are just design decisions and not cost cutting.

However, you should remember a lot of new features were added. It wasn't all take-aways. For example, things like adaptive variable suspension, LED headlights/fog lights, VGRS, 8 speed auto, and a 60/40 split rear seat were all made available or standard.
Old 05-11-16, 09:23 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

99 Lexus GS is my first Lexus, and I felt it was so good.
I bought a 06 GX later, it was very impressive.

Then I bought 07 ES super luxury, 10 RX 450H, and 12 CT (I like hybrid technology), oh my, these three cars are full of dashboard and rear rattle problems in hot or cold weather, and the "leather" felt so hard in low temperature. (comparing with previous GS and GX)

I brought them into Lexus Bellevue, the technicians told me it's because the materials, they cannot fix the rattle completely, and suggest me to turn on the radio to compensate it.

These issues push me away from Lexus completely.
Old 05-11-16, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've said this a long time. The lower end transverse engine FWD Lexus lines (the ES, RX and especially the dreadful CT) are not the same as the better cars, such as your GS and your GX you had. Not to mention those cars were in that low period of Lexus and Toyota when it came to quality, etc. The new RX seems to be very solid, but even it doesn't have the same solidity as the higher end Lexus vehicles.

Once you're in that higher end and used to that its hard to go back.
Old 05-11-16, 11:26 AM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
In regards to the 3IS, anyone can easily see that the penny pinchers at Lexus had it completely their way.
All missing features & detail from 2IS,

Blue LED interior lighting > gone
Unique grey or maple birds eye wood veneer > gone
Damped cup holder cover > gone
Damped ash tray > gone
Neat LED light in central compartment > gone
Very high quality & colour contrasting lower door panel > gone
Retractable door pockets > gone
Higher quality leather > gone
Substantially nicer looking and higher quality "waterfall" dashboard layout > gone
Better positioned and higher quality engine starter button with indicator light > gone
Smoother shaped and fully colour coded side view mirrors > gone
Felt lined wheel wells to reduce road noise > gone
Engine covers, insulating noise and contributing to a buttoned down appearance > gone
Lighter & flimsier doors without that distinct Lexus thud
and most importantly a weaker sound system

I may agree with some of your points but there's No way in hell i'd pick a 2IS over a 3IS. the 3IS is a much better car all around. just the addition of the fold down rear seats makes it a winner over the 2IS. The interior has a much nicer layout as well. I do wish there was LED lighting on the inside and the removal of cooled seats in the 14 was an obvious cost cut.
Old 05-14-16, 02:58 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The 2IS might have luxo bits that are missing on later cars but I'd rather take the current Lexus lineup any day. That waterfall console IMHO looks dated on all the models Lexus used it on because the Camry and Corolla also had it. I much prefer the current horizontal LFA-inspired layout, it might look stark in some colors but it looks classy.

Missing exhaust tips drive me nuts. The China-market TSX and TLX has a 2.0 liter variant with one exhaust tip and a black semicircle covering the other. Hideous. Luckily the ES200 uses the same rear bumper as the ES300h with the exhaust hidden from view.

Quick Reply: In the name of cost cutting