Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In the name of cost cutting

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
It's not about the ashtray per se, but that damped ashtray combined with the damped cupholder and even the overhead handle had a unuqie damping mechanism to it which the 3IS doesn't have.
Point being made here is that the 2IS was indeed a very fine car in which Lexus cut back on the 3IS

Looking at below photos of the 2IS, ignoring the female character, very easily is it observed that the 3IS significantly lacks this level of finesse & luxury.
The 3IS and 2IS are very different, the goal and direction of the car is different. You ignore the real, substantial additions to the 3IS that make up for any reductions in small details and then some. AVS, adaptive steering and chassis control, or the fact that the chassis itself is such a significant improvement over the 2IS.

From an actual driving perspective theres no question that the 3IS is a superior car.
Old 05-14-16, 07:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
The 2IS might have luxo bits that are missing on later cars but I'd rather take the current Lexus lineup any day. That waterfall console IMHO looks dated on all the models Lexus used it on because the Camry and Corolla also had it. I much prefer the current horizontal LFA-inspired layout, it might look stark in some colors but it looks classy.
Waterfall console was the in-style thing for a while. I was OK with it, but today the current style dash consoles look much better.
Old 05-14-16, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
[/URL]
Nice car with a nice looking model who is wearing fantastic clothing.....Could they not have taken the pictures with a better landscape in the background....now that is cost-cutting
Old 05-14-16, 08:06 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2IS. I definitely feel that the 3IS interior is more modern and well-built, although I dislike the "boy racer" design layout.

In the 2IS, there is definitely a feeling of cheapness in parts. My other car is a '10 3-series which competed with the 2IS at the time, and there's no comparison that everything from the quality of the carpet to the quality of the buttons, dashboard material, gauges, etc. are of much higher quality in the BMW. Those annoying panel gaps between the air vents and the dash in every single 2IS are unacceptable from a brand like Lexus that prides itself in the "pursuit of perfection."
Old 05-14-16, 08:22 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

The girl helps in the pics above but her aside, I preferred the materials and overall luxury look of my 2IS' interior compared to my 3IS.

However, the 2IS was not as tightly put together, HVAC plastics squeaked and rattled, and the car's structure felt far less solid.

Comes down to tradeoffs in chassis over the posh interior. If one wants both at this time in a Lexus, you'll need to go the GS.
Old 05-14-16, 08:32 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

BTW, not crazy about the Jag XE's interior. Reminds me of the 2IS', only cheaper and more outdated

Old 05-14-16, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The girl helps in the pics above but her aside, I preferred the materials and overall luxury look of my 2IS' interior compared to my 3IS.

However, the 2IS was not as tightly put together, HVAC plastics squeaked and rattled, and the car's structure felt far less solid.
The 1Gen, IS, though was more solidly-built than either of the 2 generations that followed it. I owned a 1Gen IS300 for several years. The 2 and 3Gen versions, though, DO have one important option the 1Gen lacked.....AWD.
Old 05-14-16, 09:54 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also very unimpressed with the Jaguar XE (and XF and F-pace as well). All have the same boring interior design with questionable material quality (the lower half of the doors in all of them are cheap hard plastic). I've been inside several of each at a couple different auto shows.
Old 05-14-16, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm also very unimpressed with the Jaguar XE (and XF and F-pace as well). All have the same boring interior design with questionable material quality (the lower half of the doors in all of them are cheap hard plastic). I've been inside several of each at a couple different auto shows.
No arguments there.

Though I was never a fan of the J-Shift-pattern, with some Jaguar models, at least, gone are the days when a Jaguar interior was a work of art, although the latest XJ does retain at least some of the elegance.

This is what a classic Jaguar interior once looked like. No more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-14-16 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-14-16, 10:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Oddly enough I stopped by the Jag dealer today because I saw an F Pace out front. Someone whisked it away on a test drive before I could get a look at it, but I walked around the showroom anyways. I too don't care for the interiors of the XF or XE, but the XJ still has a beautiful interior. Everything covered in leather, wood, metal or piano black trim. It's as high quality or higher quality than that older XJ picture posted above.
Old 05-14-16, 10:30 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

But have any of you driven the new XE? It is what BMW was like. It has great road feel through both the steering wheel and seat. The suspension is compliant yet when pushed is very much like a sport sedan should be like. At $35,000 it isn't meant to be Bentley luxury. It is ment to be a nice sedan that drives very sporty. It's more about the driving experience than the spa experience
Old 05-14-16, 11:35 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Waterfall console was the in-style thing for a while. I was OK with it, but today the current style dash consoles look much better.
Waterfall or otherwise, a logical layout is what I want.
Old 05-14-16, 02:15 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
But have any of you driven the new XE? It is what BMW was like. It has great road feel through both the steering wheel and seat. The suspension is compliant yet when pushed is very much like a sport sedan should be like. At $35,000 it isn't meant to be Bentley luxury. It is ment to be a nice sedan that drives very sporty. It's more about the driving experience than the spa experience
One could say the same thing about the Cadillac ATS. That's great for the enthusiast that now makes up the minority of the buyers in that segment. I'd like more of a mix of sporty and luxury personally.
Old 05-14-16, 08:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Waterfall interiors are not completely dated. Many new makes, like Infiniti, continue to sculpt them.
What happened with the 3IS is they went full on SPORT with the design. The 2IS blended both.
I have always liked luxury on the inside, and sport on the outside. To me, that is the best compromise and prize for the best of all worlds. The 3IS interior turns me off with it's lack of luxury. Yet, the modern colors offered for the leather help make up for some of it.
Old 05-15-16, 09:36 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Waterfall interiors are not completely dated. Many new makes, like Infiniti, continue to sculpt them.
What happened with the 3IS is they went full on SPORT with the design. The 2IS blended both.
I have always liked luxury on the inside, and sport on the outside. To me, that is the best compromise and prize for the best of all worlds. The 3IS interior turns me off with it's lack of luxury. Yet, the modern colors offered for the leather help make up for some of it.
Infiniti and Acura might be the only ones still making waterfall interiors. Not that this has anything to do with cost cutting, but it is a design from the past. Their interiors look really dated compared to anyone else. That being said, now that I think about it, the latest C class has a bit of a waterfall design but making it out of a giant piece of wood really helps.

Quick Reply: In the name of cost cutting