Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In the name of cost cutting

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 11:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Infiniti and Acura might be the only ones still making waterfall interiors. Not that this has anything to do with cost cutting, but it is a design from the past. Their interiors look really dated compared to anyone else. That being said, now that I think about it, the latest C class has a bit of a waterfall design but making it out of a giant piece of wood really helps.
Totally agree The waterfall is done.
Old 05-15-16, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Infiniti and Acura might be the only ones still making waterfall interiors. Not that this has anything to do with cost cutting, but it is a design from the past. Their interiors look really dated compared to anyone else.
I think it depends on what you mean by "dated". I don't necessarily agree that the appeal of interiors wear out simply with time. To me, a "luxury" interior will always have a liberal amount of wood or wood-tone, chrome, and brushed-metal/aluminum, no matter how it is arranged or what kind of style-pattern it takes.

Indeed, in my book, some of the most impressive interiors I've seen outside of the mega-luxury (RR/Bentley) class were the interiors on some former Jaguars, with their Connally Leather and large wide swaths of wood everywhere. Another impressively-done interior (especially for the 30-35K price) was on the 4Gen Lexus ES300/330, which IMO still blows away that of the 5Gen and 6Gen versions of the ES that replaced it.

Old 05-15-16, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The 4ES interior was nice, I had one and its still in the family. Today though the style of that interior is dated.
Old 05-15-16, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The 4ES interior was nice, I had one and its still in the family. Today though the style of that interior is dated.
Congratulations...a nice choice.

Well, that's the basic theme of this thread (cost-cutting). That 4ES interior is "dated"(?) primarily because of cost-cutting, not necessarily actual buyer preference. Let's face it....those kinds of interior materials (and what we used to see inside of Jaguars) cost money. Later ES models simply don't have that kind of money spent on their interiors, or that kind of detail/fit/finish inside. They are still nice (don't get me wrong)...and still far from econobox inside, but using obviously lighter and cheaper materials inside.

i do agree with you, though (referencing an earlier post) that the Jaguar XJ, unlike its smaller stalemates, despite some cost-cutting and the use of less wood trim inside, has still managed to keep an elegant and impressive-looking interior.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-16 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 4ES is not "dated" because of cost cutting. The 4ES had a very nice interior that IMHO, didn't suffer from any cost cutting unusual for its price point. Its dated because the way its styled doesn't fit with modern sensibilities. Its now 14-15 years since it was styled so thats not surprising.

As for the XJ, the current XJ does not have less wood than previous XJ's really. 1/2 the door panels are wood! And everything else is covered in real leather where before it was padded vinyl. If anything material quality in the current XJ is significantly better than older XJs.

Current XJ door panel, as you can see everything but the very extreme bottom of the door is wood or leather or polished metal:

Old XJ door pane. As you can see, everything is padded vinyl except for the armrest which is leather, and a smaller wood area above:

Old 05-15-16, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS

As for the XJ, the current XJ does not have less wood than previous XJ's really. 1/2 the door panels are wood! And everything else is covered in real leather where before it was padded vinyl. If anything material quality in the current XJ is significantly better than older XJs.

Current XJ door panel, as you can see everything but the very extreme bottom of the door is wood or leather or polished metal:
Some good shots. I did review and test-drive an XJ several years ago (shortly after the last major redesign), and I didn't remember that much wood being in the doors. Perhaps they did a mid-cycle upgrade that I didn't catch, like Lexus did in 2010 with the interior on the 5Gen ES350 (which I did catch). I do agree, though, like I said before, that the current XJ has kept its elegance inside. (and I wouldn't mind owing one except for the reliability issue LOL).

The 4ES is not "dated" because of cost cutting. The 4ES had a very nice interior that IMHO, didn't suffer from any cost cutting unusual for its price point. Its dated because the way its styled doesn't fit with modern sensibilities. Its now 14-15 years since it was styled so thats not surprising.
Though I dont quite see it that way, I'll respect your opinion on it. But I'm generally not one to believe that age alone wears out interiors. It's like my college girl friend...even though I never married her (and remained single), I'm still, to an extent at least, in love with her even after 40 years. And I still fondly remember the big Buick I had back then.
Old 05-15-16, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some good shots. I did review and test-drive an XJ several years ago (shortly after the last major redesign), and I didn't remember that much wood being in the doors. Perhaps they did a mid-cycle upgrade that I didn't catch, like Lexus did in 2010 with the interior on the 5Gen ES350 (which I did catch).
The amount of wood has stayed the same since this generation came out.

Though I dont quite see it that way, I'll respect your opinion on it. But I'm generally not one to believe that age alone wears out interiors. It's like my college girl friend...even though I never married her (and remained single), I'm still, to an extent at least, in love with her even after 40 years. And I still fondly remember the big Buick I had back then.
Just because it's dated doesn't mean it isn't attractive, but dated is dated. Style changes and if it's not of the current styling trend...its dated by definition.
Old 05-15-16, 07:13 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Infiniti and Acura might be the only ones still making waterfall interiors. Not that this has anything to do with cost cutting, but it is a design from the past. Their interiors look really dated compared to anyone else. That being said, now that I think about it, the latest C class has a bit of a waterfall design but making it out of a giant piece of wood really helps.
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Totally agree The waterfall is done.
Yeah! Finally, getting rid of the Tesla Model S.

You guys (and girls) are funny -- stating opinions as though they are facts.

Old 05-15-16, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think the waterfall style layout itself is done. Plenty of carmakers still using it, with modern cutting edge design. Tesla like you mentioned. Volvo to name another.
Old 05-15-16, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
You guys (and girls) are funny -- stating opinions as though they are facts.
Well, if you'll notice, in this thread, I've stated, several times, that I respected other person's opinions even if I sometimes disagreed with them. I don't know how else I can phrase it.
Old 05-15-16, 09:14 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the waterfall design is dated and unappealing to the eye. In compact sedans especially, like the ATS and Q50 (albeit a little larger than "compact") they make the space feel smaller. More horizontal dash designs like those seen in the A4 and 3-series "stretch" the cabin and give it an airy, sporty feel.

Oh and speaking of the Model S, nobody that knows what a good interior looks or feels like would say the Model S has even an average interior for its class, and that's coming from a big Tesla fan. Great car, sub-par interior in both design and quality.
Old 05-15-16, 09:16 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy...is it amazing the kind of strides Lexus has made in the interior department. Like night and day honestly.
Old 05-15-16, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Boy...is it amazing the kind of strides Lexus has made in the interior department. Like night and day honestly.
Again, while I respect your opinion, that's where I don't necessarily agree. Newer is not always better.
Old 05-15-16, 09:44 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Call me silly, but I really do like the dash design in that generation ES, much more so than the next gen car that replaced it. And actually I HATE outdated nav screens in cars from the 2000's, so its much nicer IMO to just have an old school radio with buttons, rather than some pathetic, laggy, hard to use system with Atari graphics and no bluetooth connection. If I need directions, I can punch it in my phone. IMO those outdated screen systems date the car much more than something from the 90's that just has a conventional radio with seperate HVAC controls.

Now on newer cars, yes the screen systems are cool and its crazy how well they will interface with your phone and apps to play music. I just HATE the old crap systems from the 2000's, give me a tape player so I can plug my phone into the radio with a cassette adapter.
Old 05-15-16, 09:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Again, while I respect your opinion, that's where I don't necessarily agree. Newer is not always better.
You miss the point. It's not a question of better or worse, it's a question of being dated or being modern. Just because you still like it doesn't mean it isn't dated. I still prefer pleated slacks but that doesn't mean they aren't dated.

Quick Reply: In the name of cost cutting