Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In the name of cost cutting

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 09:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Call me silly, but I really do like the dash design in that generation ES, much more so than the next gen car that replaced it. And actually I HATE outdated nav screens in cars from the 2000's, so its much nicer IMO to just have an old school radio with buttons, rather than some pathetic, laggy, hard to use system with Atari graphics and no bluetooth connection. If I need directions, I can punch it in my phone. IMO those outdated screen systems date the car much more than something from the 90's that just has a conventional radio with seperate HVAC controls.
I certainly won't call you silly.
Old 05-16-16, 05:52 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Classic clean design never goes out of style. Fad designs go out of style.
Old 05-16-16, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Classic clean design never goes out of style.
oh really? it does constantly. example, mid 90s german cars may have been 'classic clean style' when they were around but now they look laughable, cheap, and boring.

Old 05-16-16, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I also think back to my dad's 98 LS400. At the time I recall thinking it was so beautiful, looked big and imposing, smooth and modern. I saw one in a parking lot yesterday and while it certainly is nostalgic to me, and I still appreciate the smooth lines and like the look...its unquestionably dated.
Old 05-16-16, 08:59 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh really? it does constantly. example, mid 90s german cars may have been 'classic clean style' when they were around but now they look laughable, cheap, and boring.

Really, look at 911, challenger, Beatle, corvette, same basic body design. Cars that still standout and loved today just like yesteryears.
Old 05-16-16, 09:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Really, look at 911, challenger, Beatle, corvette, same basic body design. Cars that still standout and loved today just like yesteryears.
Doesn't mean that the design of older ones isn't dated.
Old 05-16-16, 10:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Doesn't mean that the design of older ones isn't dated.
But good dated = classic Dated has negative connotations. I don't consider the Miura dated at all...its the definition of "classic"
Old 05-16-16, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
But good dated = classic Dated has negative connotations. I don't consider the Miura dated at all...its the definition of "classic"
Yeah I don't disagree. I said multiple times that just because something may be dated doesn't mean its bad or isn't attractive.
Old 05-16-16, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Classic clean design never goes out of style. Fad designs go out of style.
I tend to agree with Coleroad. With those tall, 90s-vintage sedans, tall people could at least get in and out of the back seat without banging your head or contorting yourself into a pretzel. And, of course, you could see out the back (or to the sides) without cameras or electronic detectors that can fail.
Old 05-16-16, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I tend to agree with Coleroad. With those tall, 90s-vintage sedans, tall people could at least get in and out of the back seat without banging your head or contorting yourself into a pretzel. And, of course, you could see out the back (or to the sides) without cameras or electronic detectors that can fail.
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest
Old 05-16-16, 04:33 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Call me silly, but I really do like the dash design in that generation ES, much more so than the next gen car that replaced it. And actually I HATE outdated nav screens in cars from the 2000's, so its much nicer IMO to just have an old school radio with buttons, rather than some pathetic, laggy, hard to use system with Atari graphics and no bluetooth connection. If I need directions, I can punch it in my phone. IMO those outdated screen systems date the car much more than something from the 90's that just has a conventional radio with seperate HVAC controls.

Now on newer cars, yes the screen systems are cool and its crazy how well they will interface with your phone and apps to play music. I just HATE the old crap systems from the 2000's, give me a tape player so I can plug my phone into the radio with a cassette adapter.
You certainly have a point and I can see where you're coming from. I just remember riding in those older GS and ES sedans are remembering how cushy but boring they felt. Sitting inside a German car was a much more memorable experience. While I still feel that Lexus interiors are just a notch below the Germans, they are still closer today than they've ever been. I sat inside a refreshed GS recently w/ the brown leather and it was not only very nice but also memorable because the design was both sporty and premium. It didn't just have a boring Toyota-style interior layout with nicer materials like the older cars did.
Old 05-16-16, 05:11 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you choose that kind of pictures

I would say that those cars looks fantastic

Old 05-17-16, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,456 Likes on 1,610 Posts

a corvette today has pretty much no resemblance to a corvette of 'yesteryears'. while porsche does an amazing job of carrying styling cues forward, if you see a new 911 next to a 70s,80s,90s one the old one looks like a joke.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
this was about style and design, not function. and good luck getting into / out of an old porsche.
plus today cuv/suvs are more popular than sedans, and they're certainly easier to get in and out of.
Old 05-17-16, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

]this was about style and design, not function.
Unfortunately, too many times, style helps determine function.

and good luck getting into / out of an old porsche.
Well, I'm certainly no James Dean LOL.

plus today cuv/suvs are more popular than sedans, and they're certainly easier to get in and out of.
In most cases that's true....but there certainly are some exceptions (Acura ZDX, Nissan Juke, Land Rover Evoq, etc...)
Old 05-18-16, 07:17 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Totally off topic but I'm big fan of the E39 5-series. The smooth integrated lights and rounded shark nose make it look a lot less dated than the E34 and also the E-class and A6 from the same era.